Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "The Joke's On Us" (Monty Hall) back in Canada  (Read 2904 times)

Kniwt

"The Joke's On Us" (Monty Hall) back in Canada
« on: December 19, 2003, 05:58:31 AM »
Just saw an ad on Deja View.  "Weekends at 3 pm ET."  I think this is new starting this weekend.

(Setting a timer on the VCR right now!)

On edit: As noted below by the gracious respondents, this is hardly NEW NEW NEW at all.  But, as they say, it's new to you!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2003, 03:04:59 AM by Kniwt »

ChuckNet

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2003, 06:22:05 PM »
Just saw an ad on Deja View. "Weekends at 3 pm ET." I think this is new starting this weekend.

And it wasn't a bad show...featured some celebs who you didn't see that often on the GS circuit (Leslie Nielsen), as well as old faves (Nipsey Russell and JoAnne Worley also appeared), but you could tell that playing straight man to 4 celebs and keeping the show under control wasn't exactly Monty Hall's forte.

Chuck Donean (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

joey7879

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2003, 08:06:10 PM »
Just saw an ad on Deja View. "Weekends at 3 pm ET." I think this is new starting this weekend.

Actually it's been in that timeslot for (I think) almost a year and a half now. :)

PeterMarshallFan

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2003, 08:11:09 PM »
How is this show played? The name sounds very familiar but I'm not sure if I've seen it.

joey7879

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2003, 09:41:44 PM »
A celebrity guest reads part of a joke out loud and then it's up to the other three celebrity guests to come up with an appropriate punchline. The contestants win points by guessing who came up with the real punchline to the joke.

That's the premise of the main game. I totally forget how the bonus round was played, though. Hopefully someone else can fill in the rest of the details.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2003, 09:42:25 PM by joey7879 »

Kniwt

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2003, 12:11:58 AM »
[quote name=\'joey7879\' date=\'Dec 19 2003, 08:06 PM\']

Actually it's been in that timeslot for (I think) almost a year and a half now. :) [/quote]
 Good heavens, my bad then.  Shows how good a job DejaView does of promotion, then!  Watched the channel off and on for more than a year now, and that was the first commercial I'd ever seen for it.

Actually, it's an interesting thing to have on their schedule -- because it means that the door is potentially open for other "classic" Canadian game shows (and we use the term loosely, of course) to show up either on DejaView or its competitor, TV Land Canada (which runs as a separate beast from its U.S. counterpart and has its CRTC-mandated fill of old Canadian TV).

MrGameShow

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2003, 12:17:22 AM »
Finally, a CANADIAN game show question I can answer! :)

The bonus round had a phrase then 9 single letters, which the celebs would have to make up words to - then the contestant had to repeat the entire phrase by themselves.

For Example.. The phrase is: My Favorite Pasttimes Are...
[T] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]

So the first celeb down the line would have to say:
My favorite pasttimes are TALKING.

Next: [T] [J] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
My favorite pasttimes are TALKING and JUGGLING..

and it would continue twice down the line, and the contestant could help the celebs.

Once all the letters were filled in, the contestant would have to say the entire string of words BY THEMSELVES without ANY help from the celebs. And all this had to be done within :60.

Often times the celebs would get tripped up trying to think of real answers due to the time limit, so once in a while you had to remember so pretty wild phrases! :)

BrandonFG

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2003, 12:24:09 AM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Dec 19 2003, 06:22 PM\']

And it wasn't a bad show...featured some celebs who you didn't see that often on the GS circuit (Leslie Nielsen), as well as old faves (Nipsey Russell and JoAnne Worley also appeared), but you could tell that playing straight man to 4 celebs and keeping the show under control wasn't exactly Monty Hall's forte.

Chuck Donean (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby") [/quote]
 Airdates? Pictures? I remember reading about this is "Come On Down," but don't remember if a year was mentioned?

And was it ever syndicated in the US?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

rugrats1

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2003, 02:01:51 AM »
According to that book, it aired during the 1983-84 season in syndication. Since it was listed with the American game shows, I assume it was syndicated in the US. However, if it was, it was probably in selected markets only, as it was never seen in my area (Tampa Bay) at the time.

ChuckNet

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2003, 01:25:11 PM »
According to that book, it aired during the 1983-84 season in syndication. Since it was listed with the American game shows, I assume it was syndicated in the US. However, if it was, it was probably in selected markets only, as it was never seen in my area (Tampa Bay) at the time.

Hell, I never even heard of it until I'd read about in CoD...and has anyone else noticed that it's (I think) the only American GS book to even mention TJOU as part of a comprehensive listing?

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2003, 02:04:34 PM »
I remember a trade ad for in in "Broadcasting."  I think it was syndicated by Silverbach-Lazarus in the US.  Never saw the show in my market.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

uncamark

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2003, 04:57:54 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Dec 21 2003, 02:04 PM\']I remember a trade ad for in in "Broadcasting."  I think it was syndicated by Silverbach-Lazarus in the US.  Never saw the show in my market.[/quote]
It probably was offered but never sold in the U.S.--something that was a little more common for syndicated shows back in the days before massive station group alliances, especially for stuff from small syndicators.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2003, 08:48:32 AM »
Actually, it's an interesting thing to have on their schedule -- because it means that the door is potentially open for other "classic" Canadian game shows (and we use the term loosely, of course) to show up either on DejaView or its competitor, TV Land Canada

It's certainly possible.  A channel called "Prime" has run shows like "Supermarket Sweep", "Love Me Love Me Not" and "Liars Club" in the recent past.  Now, if they could just get some '70s shows on there...
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!