Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: WOF pronunclation question  (Read 12992 times)

Jay Temple

WOF pronunclation question
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2012, 01:23:26 AM »
I'm not going to look for the posts to quote, but there's no issue with a puzzle like "Burnin' Love," because in that situation, they always put the apostrophe up anyway.
Then you completely missed my point (and I'm sorry you couldn't be bothered to do the due diligence to find the quote), which is that it works both ways; that makes "burning" a wrong answer, and that's a minefield you still don't want to step into.
Case in point.
I didn't miss your point. I'm saying that I have no qualms about ruling against a player who says a letter that's not there.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2012, 01:36:12 AM »
I didn't miss your point. I'm saying that I have no qualms about ruling against a player who says a letter that's not there.

So you're suggesting that it's a unidirectional problem? It's fine if the "g" is actually dropped and they say it, but not so fine if the "g" is up there and they don't because of regional inflections?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jay Temple

« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2012, 11:51:10 AM »
If I understand you correctly, yes. By "fine," I assume you mean "fine to rule against the contestant." I agree with both, but more strongly with the decision against the contestant who says a letter that's been replaced by an apostrophe.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 11:51:31 AM by Jay Temple »
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

forkdumplings

« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2012, 03:52:27 AM »
It's the role of shows like Wheel Of Fortune to promote good pronunciation. As much as it's AFL footballers' roles to promote bad.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2012, 02:01:45 PM »
It's the role of shows like Wheel Of Fortune to promote good pronunciation.
No it isn't.
Travis L. Eberle