Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 'Never before seen' Match Game pilot?  (Read 35771 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
'Never before seen' Match Game pilot?
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2012, 10:11:31 PM »
You beat me too this....
Considering I got the email and wrote the post, I'd like to hope so.
I lol'd. Hard.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BillCullen1

« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2012, 12:43:24 PM »
I'll definitely be watching the Bert Convy pilot. Too bad he didn't live to host it.

BrandonFG

« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2012, 01:19:42 PM »
Bert didn't die until July of 1991...same month the show was actually canceled.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2012, 03:49:34 PM »
Not that I'm complaining, but I'm surprised they didn't try to get an episode of Match Game/Hollywood squares hour.
Who said they didn't?

Ian Wallis

« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2012, 03:56:31 PM »
Two weeks of true classics in black and white, a solid remake of Pyramid, early episodes of Press Your Luck, several things I'm probably forgetting, and a Match Game marathon that goes WAY beyond what anybody should have rationally expected.  And yet people still complain that GSN ignores classic fans.

Quoted for truth.  I think the past few months have been excellent.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

JMFabiano

« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2012, 08:58:53 PM »
Not that I'm complaining, but I'm surprised they didn't try to get an episode of Match Game/Hollywood squares hour.
Who said they didn't?

True...but we all know the story there. It would be interesting to know if they did ask for an episode, but still couldn't come past the dual ownership, or if the Rayburn estate withheld the embargo, if that story was true to begin with.

I would have loved to see an episode, though, as I am one of those who thinks the show wasn't that bad, and this comes not even through nostagia colored glasses.
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

JMFabiano

« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2012, 09:02:45 PM »
Two weeks of true classics in black and white, a solid remake of Pyramid, early episodes of Press Your Luck, several things I'm probably forgetting, and a Match Game marathon that goes WAY beyond what anybody should have rationally expected.  And yet people still complain that GSN ignores classic fans.

Quoted for truth.  I think the past few months have been excellent.

Seconded on my behalf.  Like I said it seems they are going for a happy medium, as far as they can take it while also running a profitable network, meaning appealing to the casual viewer and staying in budget.  I applaud them for that...we still do get pleasant surprises from the network, despite what some people say.  I just wished The Pyramid's future was more certain at this time.

OT, but truthfully, TV Land is the same...they only really dominate the schedule with originals and '90s+ reruns in prime time and late night, they still have classics in the morning and afternoon, albeit just the really popular ones.  And elements of those originals still have a classics sensibility.

/You can't beat Antenna TV though.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 09:03:16 PM by JMFabiano »

BrandonFG

« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2012, 09:03:44 PM »
They got an episode of Woolery Wheel for the Merv Griffin tribute, and they never had the rights to it. I don't think it would be that hard to get permission for a one-time deal. It's a longshot with so many other versions, but it's not completely impossible.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

JMFabiano

« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2012, 09:08:14 PM »
They got an episode of Woolery Wheel for the Merv Griffin tribute, and they never had the rights to it. I don't think it would be that hard to get permission for a one-time deal. It's a longshot with so many other versions, but it's not completely impossible.

Hmmmmm...I thought that their connection with Sony allowed them usage of any versions of Wheel, or did they always just have the rights to the syndies?  (I thought it was once said they could use Bob and Rolf's daytime versions for instance, but they just never bothered to use them)

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2012, 11:34:31 PM »
They got an episode of Woolery Wheel for the Merv Griffin tribute, and they never had the rights to it.
As JMFabino alluded to, GSN never seems to have had the rights to any daytime Wheel. Given this interview with Chuck circa 2004, it seems more likely that GSN just plucked episodes from the Paley Center.
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

Sodboy13

« Reply #55 on: December 22, 2012, 12:13:56 AM »
I thought getting the rights to MG/HS was nigh-on impossible, due to them being split between production companies, one of which was Orion.

I'll definitely be setting my Tivo for the Convy pilot, at the very least.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #56 on: December 22, 2012, 04:39:39 PM »
As JMFabino alluded to, GSN never seems to have had the rights to any daytime Wheel. Given this interview with Chuck circa 2004, it seems more likely that GSN just plucked episodes from the Paley Center.

I'm not sure of your point (I seldom am), but regardless of the source, they would still have to acquire rights to air an episode.  Just because a copy happens to exist at the Paley Center doesn't give them permission to put it on the air.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

That Don Guy

« Reply #57 on: December 22, 2012, 07:04:57 PM »
It would be interesting to know if they did ask for an episode, but still couldn't come past the dual ownership, or if the Rayburn estate withheld the embargo, if that story was true to begin with.
I have heard two different versions of the "Rayburn estate embargo" story.  One says it applies to MG/HS; the other, to Every Second Counts.

catnap1972

« Reply #58 on: December 22, 2012, 07:07:37 PM »

I have heard two different versions of the "Rayburn estate embargo" story.  One says it applies to MG/HS; the other, to Every Second Counts.

I think you mean Break The Bank

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #59 on: December 22, 2012, 07:33:21 PM »
I'm not sure of your point (I seldom am), but regardless of the source, they would still have to acquire rights to air an episode. Just because a copy happens to exist at the Paley Center doesn't give them permission to put it on the air.
Oh, no disagreement, and I never said they didn't have to acquire rights -- I was simply pointing out that most (if not all) the episodes shown in that marathon had already been held by Paley Center and were likely plucked from there instead of the Sony, King World, or GSN archives.
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...