Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Different Tournament of Champions  (Read 7777 times)

gsnstooge

Different Tournament of Champions
« on: December 17, 2003, 08:44:26 PM »
How on each show does a show's Tournament of Champions work?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2003, 05:27:24 PM by gsnstooge »

Jay Temple

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2003, 01:35:29 PM »
Jeopardy!:  Most of their tournaments work the same way.
Week 1:  5 independent quarter-final games.  The winners and the four top-scoring non-winners advance to the semifinals.
Week 2, Monday-Wednesday:  The nine players appear in three semifinal games.  Only the winners advance.
Thursday-Friday:  The three finalists play two games, and their totals for the two days are added together to determine the winner.

The $100,000 Pyramid:  The three players who win the $10,000 or $25,000 in the shortest amount of time over the course of six to eight weeks, i.e., since the previous tournament, come back for the $100,000 tournament.  On any given day, two of them play two games.  If one of them wins the $100,000, the tournament is over.  If not, the player who wins more money in the Winner's Circle comes back the next day to face the player who was left out.  (On Day 1, the players are the two with the fastest qualifying times.)  This was the set-up for both Clark and Davidson's shows.  Osmond's Pyramid has only had three tournaments, two of them with the same structure which doesn't have a guaranteed prize anyway, so I won't go into it.

The Joker's Wild:  Generally, a variation on this ... 16 players are randomly paired off.  Whoever wins the game (or best of 3 or best of 5) advances to the next level.  In the second and third tournaments, the ones where Frank Dillon was the previous year's defending champion, he was excluded from all levels of play and faced the last person remaining for the title.  When he lost, they made his successor start from the bottom with everyone else.

Celebrity Sweepstakes:  I'm aware of one Tournament;  they may have had more.  The one I saw was pretty straightforward:  Ten players appeared in one game each over the course of the week.  The player with the biggest total in his game was the winner.  I don't know whether the players were aware of the totals put up prior to their own games.  (This is the only one where I'll state an opinion plainly:  I don't think this made for interesting game play, especially if there was no prize for those who won their day but not the top prize.  If you only want to do one week, bring back eight players and have the top two players come back Friday.)
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Little Big Brother

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2003, 03:11:27 PM »
Week 2, Monday-Wednesday: The nine players appear in three semifinal games. Only the winners advance.

How are the player lineups determined for the semi-finals?  Do they draw numbers, or go by scores from the quarterfinals (top 3 play Monday, middle 3 Tuesday, remaining 3 Wednesday), or is there some other method used?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2003, 03:57:45 PM »
[quote name=\'gsnstooge\' date=\'Dec 17 2003, 06:44 PM\'] How on each show does its Tournament of Champions work? [/quote]
"Please describe to me the complete rules of all game shows you can think of. Be thorough and exact."

You need to narrow down your requests a little, dude. Frankly I'm surprised you've gotten as many responses to this one as you have.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2003, 03:57:56 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

GSWitch

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2003, 05:46:32 PM »
CONCENTRATION (Downs/Clayton)

Started in 1963, the top 4 winners would face off in The Challenge of the Champions.  The 2 finalist battle it out in a World Series 4/7 match.  The winner would receive $1,000 in cash, a trip around the world & the Connie (a trophy which resembled The Thinker statue).

CLASSIC CONCENTRATION

The top 8 contestants who won their car in 35 seconds are less, competed.  Monday-Thursday, two contestants played the best 2/3 match.  The winner played the bonus round in an unique way, the clock counted up & the contestant had to match 7 car names in the shortest time.

The top 2 contestants who did that came back on Friday's show to determine the overall champion.

Unfortunately, this tournament became known as "Heidi Bowl 2"!

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2003, 07:22:04 PM »
[quote name=\'GSWitch\' date=\'Dec 18 2003, 05:46 PM\'] CLASSIC CONCENTRATION

The top 8 contestants who won their car in 35 seconds are less, competed.  Monday-Thursday, two contestants played the best 2/3 match.  The winner played the bonus round in an unique way, the clock counted up & the contestant had to match 7 car names in the shortest time.

The top 2 contestants who did that came back on Friday's show to determine the overall champion.

Unfortunately, this tournament became known as "Heidi Bowl 2"! [/quote]
 I've never heard that show called "Heidi Bowl 2" before.  Did your cackling witch create it?

zachhoran

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2003, 07:32:47 PM »
[quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' date=\'Dec 18 2003, 07:22 PM\'] [quote name=\'GSWitch\' date=\'Dec 18 2003, 05:46 PM\'] CLASSIC CONCENTRATION

The top 8 contestants who won their car in 35 seconds are less, competed.  Monday-Thursday, two contestants played the best 2/3 match.  The winner played the bonus round in an unique way, the clock counted up & the contestant had to match 7 car names in the shortest time.

Unfortunately, this tournament became known as "Heidi Bowl 2"! [/quote]
I've never heard that show called "Heidi Bowl 2" before.  Did your cackling witch create it? [/quote]
 Someone posted on this board a couple of months ago(forget who it was) that NBC cut into the end of the Friday finals episode of the Classic Concentration 1989 TofC to show a speech from Dubya Sr., and they called it Heidi Bowl 2. NBC apparently did tell who won the TofC and/or reran the finals episode at some point. The airdate was 4/14/89, three weeks after NBC cut into the final episode of $otC for something similar.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2003, 07:44:09 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Dec 18 2003, 05:32 PM\'] Someone posted on this board a couple of months ago(forget who it was) that NBC cut into the end of the Friday finals episode of the Classic Concentration 1989 TofC to show a speech from Dubya Sr., and they called it Heidi Bowl 2. [/quote]
 Yes. It was an asinine comparison then, and it is now.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

gameshowguy2000

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2003, 07:58:15 PM »
Speaking of TJW's tournament: If it was called the MILLION DOLLAR tournament, why did they give out a HALF-Million to the champ, instead of ONE Million?

jw2001

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2003, 08:16:09 PM »
Family Double Dare - This took place during the final season.  The actual special featured the season's two families who answered the most questions play against each other in a preliminary round.  The same was done for the two teams who competed the Obstacle Course in the fastest time.  The winner of both rounds played a full game against each other, with the winner receiving a nifty trophy and going on to the final Obstacle Course to try for a new car.

zachhoran

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2003, 08:20:51 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Dec 18 2003, 07:58 PM\'] Speaking of TJW's tournament: If it was called the MILLION DOLLAR tournament, why did they give out a HALF-Million to the champ, instead of ONE Million? [/quote]
 THe payouts for all the participants totalled $1 Million, and half of the monies went to the contestants, and half to a charity of the player's choosing(the $200K second place prize and the $500K first place prize were paid in annuities IIRC)

ChuckNet

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2003, 09:56:12 PM »
In the second and third tournaments, the ones where Frank Dillon was the previous year's defending champion, he was excluded from all levels of play and faced the last person remaining for the title. When he lost, they made his successor start from the bottom with everyone else.

No doubt Frank was helped more than a bit by the guaranteed spot in the finals for the $100K and $250K tourneys...as it was, Eileen Jason (who defeated him in the latter tourney) wound up being eliminated in the preliminaries of the $1M tourney the following year.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

gameshowguy2000

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2003, 10:11:51 PM »
And since I watched it like some of you did, I'll give the rules of the ABC version of Jeopardy! called SUPER JEOPARDY!

This was like the original Jeopardy, but with a few changes:

Quarterfinals: 4 players. As usual, whoever had the highest score moved on, and the losers got $5,000.

Semi-finals: 4 players (I think, please correct me if I am wrong), like the semi-finals. The losers got $10,000.

Finals: 3 players. First place got $250,000; Second place got $50,000; Third place got $25,000. The winner was Bruce Seymour.

Values were in points, not cash (And I don't know why they chose to use points. Anyone want to help me out?) J! round values ranged from 200-1000 (Current J! format, former DJ! format); DJ! round values ranged from 500-2500 (in 500-point increments).

zachhoran

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2003, 10:16:12 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Dec 18 2003, 10:11 PM\']

Semi-finals: 4 players (I think, please correct me if I am wrong), like the semi-finals. The losers got $10,000.

[/quote]
 The semi final games had the usual three players. Three QF games were followed by an SF game. THis process was repeated three times, with the three SF game winners returning for the finals airing on 9/8/90.

TheInquisitiveOne

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2003, 10:34:45 PM »
Let me throw in a game show's tournament format: some of the various tournaments of $ale of the Century.

If anyone knows how the 1983 tournament worked, please let us know. I appreciate it. I don't exactly know how the 1985 tournament worked either, but I do know that the finals had only TWO contestants, with the grand prize winner gaining over $50,000 in cash and prizes ($25,000 cash and a $27,000 car).

Thanks to Bob Staub, I have some knowledge of the $ale International Invitational Tournament. There were two theaters to this tourney.

The first theater had nine of the best contestants on U.S. $ale (including some from the syndicated version, such as Alice Conkwright). The finals was a two-day event, with the scores accumulating over a two day period (a la Jeopardy!). The Winner's Board was still played everyday.

The winner of the U.S. finals entered into the second theater, the actual International Invitational. This time, the best of Australia and Canada were the other participants. The first to win three games was declared the champion and won a $35,000 Corvette Convertible. Again, the winner of each individual game played the Winner's Board (with the exception of the clincher). Cary from Australia (who already had won over $343,000 - in Australian money - on Tony Barber's $ale) won the tournament.

In my opinion, this was one of the best moments of NBC's run of $ale (and probably the last exhibition of the Winner's Board, as well).

The Inquisitive One
This is the Way.