The Game Show Forum > The Big Board

If Sale of the Century were returning...

<< < (2/5) > >>

Timsterino:
I would keep it just as it was on NBC in the 1980's with Jim Perry. It was a great show.

As a kid, I had fantasies about Summer Bartholomew.

Tim :-)

clemon79:
[quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' date=\'Jun 24 2003, 08:03 AM\'] Well...I probably should've mentioned that all of the IB prizes would be between 1500-4000, meaning the IB values would be higher too. All i did, essentially was add a "0" to the old values. [/quote]
 Right. Why? In an effort to give everyone a couple extra dollars in cash, you're ruining the concept of the Instant Bargain. Being offered a cruise for $150 does NOT have the same effect as being offered a cruise for $15.

I applaud your effort to use tangible dollar values to improve the consolation prizes a bit, but this is one case where the dollar values are what they are for a very good reason, and ought not be tampered with. If you have to send your contestants away with more, give 'em an extra box of Turtle Wax.

ChuckNet:

--- Quote ---As a kid, I had fantasies about Summer Bartholomew.
--- End quote ---

You weren't alone! :-)

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious \"Chuckie Baby\")

uncamark:
The Brit version (\"From Norwich--the Quiz of the Week!\") did not have continuing champions, so the game was often either who's going to win (and will they get enough to buy *something*) or can the leader get enough to buy the car.  Since Nicholas Parsons spit out at least 100 questions in every episode (with no Fame Game, more Instant Bargains, the Open Sale in the middle and rising question values), there was always the chance that someone could get enough for the car, which was always the \"star prize,\" as they say over there.  But basically, the final sale round was here's what you can buy, what do ya want, congratulations and join us next week--good night.

And all this considering that late in the run, the opening was looooong--after the Anglia knight logo and the \"Quiz of the Week!\" announcement and the animation to the theme song, they'd then bring out *all* of the sale prizes with their \"SOTC\" price, and then the announcer would do a description of each one (leaving out the brand names with the exception of the car, thanks to IBA regulations banning product placement--the IBA did allow \"SOTC\" and other game shows to give the make and model of car).  *Then,* the announcer would intro Parsons (who always seemed to make his entrance from the audience) and then they'd intro the contestants and get into the game.

And that's how *one* no-champions version handled it.

TheInquisitiveOne:
This is for if I had total say in the revival of $ale:

Cosmetically, I would ask Ray and Marc Ellis (if they are alive, that is) to make the theme song, even if it is an off-shoot of the classic 1983 theme. As for the set, it should be a hybrid of the gold 1980s set and the 2002 Aussie set; I would keep the octagonal doors, but the rest would be a mix (art designers can feel free to chime in on this one). I also prefer the Faces on the Fame Game board with the contestant selecting after correctly answering the question.

As for the main game, I would not change one thing about the show. This is one format that should never be tinkered with, in my opinion. The third Instant Bargain would be the Instant Ca$h bargain, and everything else would remain the same. Returning champions would be allowed. The endgame format would depend on the show itself.

If it were a five-time-a-week show:
I would use the shopping format. Plain and simple. The only thing that I would change is that whatever money that the contestant fails to use in order to buy prizes would be what he or she keeps. For example, if a contestant had $620 and failed to buy something, he or she would keep the $620 as a consolation. Just like the 80s, the cash jackpot would be at the top of the mountain, starting at $50,000 and increasing by $1,000 for each day that it is not hit. Cars that would be offered would range between $30,000 and $50,000 (and slightly higher).

If it were a once-a-week nighttime show:
The shopping format would be way too long to muster, so I would use an enhanced version of the \"Winner's Board\" format to expedite things. Here is how it would work:
Like the 80s version, there are 20 numbers...yada, yada, yada. Here is the enhancement, however. How many questions a contestant wins by is how many picks of the board that he or she has (for example, if a contestant wins by $26, he or she would have five picks of the board, since the 6th question would mean a loss). There would be a $20,000 card, a $5,000 card, a car, and other assorted goodies. Once the board is cleared, the contestant can decide to play one more game. If he or she wins, he or she will also win a cash jackpot starting at $100,000 (and increasing by $5,000 for each week that it is not won), meaning that he or she can walk away with over $250,000 in cash and prizes.

As with all proposed rules, there are flaws. Feel free to point them out and show me how that format can be improved. Thanks for reading!

The Inquisitive One

By the way, even if a contestant wone something after the first two picks, he or she can continue on until he or she runs out of picks, thus the ability to grab more than one prize off the board. Or, the contestant can keep going until she matches five prizes, thus speeding the format.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version