Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Set Report - "Family Game Night," Season 3  (Read 7344 times)

BillCullen1

Set Report - "Family Game Night," Season 3
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2012, 02:23:47 PM »
Saw the season premiere of Season 3 last night. They now play four games that involve six families. I like the new Battleship game and they've reworked the Sorry Sliders game to include cash. Simon Flash and Yahtzee Bowling are pretty much the same. The bonus round is interesting and fun. It's going to take a while for me to get used to Stacey as the announcer, but it doesn't take away from the show. Rich DiPirro is still the director.

Marc412

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2012, 04:41:41 PM »
Yahtzee Bowling is a little different.  It's just a family of three against the house.  Each player rolls once.  Just like video poker, the better your hand after the third roll, the more valuable your prize--$300 for three of a kind up to $5,000 for Yahtzee.  There's nothing for a small straight or anything lower than trips.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2012, 05:09:16 PM »
Which is good, because frankly if you can't do better than 1-2-3-4-6 or a pair, you really shouldn't win a prize. As much as I liked the old format where two families competed for the whole hour, I think that the show is done really well now and the format works. The bonus round is just like the old Mac shareware game Ebola Monkey Bingo, but that's OK too. On the con side I thought Battleship was reduced to stank-ass-luck and silliness.
Travis L. Eberle

Jamey Greek

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2012, 05:30:30 PM »
I do wish Stacey would announce the spiel and intro Todd.

Game Show Man

• Admiral Anaheim, Big Joey Numbers, etc.
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2012, 06:52:09 PM »
stank-ass-luck and silliness.
Isn't that the whole point of the show in the first place?
"Game Show Man" Joe Van Ginkel
captvangin@aol.com
"Remember, reality bites, so WATCH MORE GAME SHOWS!"

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2012, 09:06:14 AM »
I know it's the whole point of Battleship, at least.

Marc412

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2012, 09:13:07 AM »
Sorry! and the Crazy Cash bonus are games of chance too.  They wouldn't be out of place on "Let's Make a Deal"--especially Sorry!  Change the Sorry! cards to Zonks and you're there.

Marc412

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2012, 01:40:34 AM »
"Operation" is different too.  A family of four--a mom, a dad and 2 kids--plays.  The two kids and one parent will each try to remove one of the 5 Funatomy parts from the other parent.  Each time they're successful, they earn a ball to use in Sam Dunk in addition to the ball they get just for playing.  Each ball is worth money--from $100 if it doesn't land in a Funatomy cavity to $1,000 if it rings the bell by Sam's ear.

BillCullen1

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2012, 09:58:37 AM »
So as of 9/30, we've seen six of the eight games that this season reportedly has. I thought FGN had a nice roster of rotating games, like Guesstures, Boggle, Trouble, Green Scream, Spelling Bee and that card game I can't remember the name of. I think other Hasbro games like Scattergories. Outburst and Taboo would work on FGN as well.

Marc412

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2012, 11:29:39 AM »
Ratuki, you mean.  I've noticed that Guesstures, Boggle and Scrabble are gone from that thing that hangs from the studio's ceiling.  I liked those games a lot.

BillCullen1

« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2012, 11:38:38 AM »
Ratuki, you mean.  

As Geoff Edwards would say, "Right you are."

Marc412

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2012, 01:02:25 AM »
To round out the roster, we saw Bop It and Twister Lights Out played on this past Sunday's episode.

In Bop It, two family pairs compete.  The kid from one family will have 30 seconds inside the Boptagon to follow as many of Todd's commands as possible.  Each one is worth a point, and there's no penalty for a mistake.  Then it'll be the other kid's turn, then the parents will each have a go.  The family with the higher combined score wins.

Twister is played similarly to how it was played before, except for two things:  1) Todd could spin "Air" as a color, in which case players will have to raise the appropriate limb into the air.  2) Instead of one dot at a time, the dots will disappear from the board one level at a time, from the outside in, every few spins.  As before, if you see that your limb is on a dot that's about to disappear, move it to avoid elimination.

So all the games this season reward luck or physical ability, but not knowledge or intelligence.  Fun to watch, but a bit disappointing.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 11:29:31 AM by Marc412 »

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2012, 01:32:04 PM »
So all the games this season reward luck or physical ability, but not knowledge or intelligence.
I'd argue with you on the latter, but FGN never was big on the book smarts to begin with.
This signature is currently under construction.

Marc412

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2012, 02:30:44 PM »
Guess Who?, Scrabble Flash, Boggle, Guesstures, Cranium, Green Scream and Spelling Bee all test what you know or what you can figure out.  All those are gone now.

/Scrabble Showdown deserved a better fate.  Kids these days, eh?