Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Entire formats you don't like  (Read 12520 times)

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
Entire formats you don't like
« on: October 16, 2012, 06:02:27 PM »
Is there any particular format/style/etc. that you've just never gotten into?

As I've said several times before, I generally can't get into dating/relationship shows, and I'm not really sure why. That said, I did find Bzzz! far more palatable than most, and Love Connection has produced some decent stories. (It also had Chuck Woolery.)

I also don't like games that are entirely luck-based. I burned out on Deal or No Deal well before it devolved into an endless string of cartoonish contestants, general gimmickry, and product placement. (Though I would love to win a lifetime supply of Sprecher root beer.) On that same line, I've never liked lottery game shows for the same reason — and it doesn't help that a lot of the ones I've seen have abysmal production values.

Finally, another one that I've stated before — I can't stand any show in the Chuck Barris library. I just find the 70's cheese so overwhelming on them. (It doesn't help that two of Barris' three flagship shows fall into the aforementioned "dating/relationship" category.) Furthermore, nearly every TNG and TDG I've ever seen had multiple instances of answers so off-the-mark st00pid that I wondered how they managed to successfully operate the door leading into the studio. ("What's your husband's favorite condiment?" "Pool table.")
Bobby Peacock

whewfan

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 03:01:56 PM »
Is there any particular format/style/etc. that you've just never gotten into?

As I've said several times before, I generally can't get into dating/relationship shows, and I'm not really sure why. That said, I did find Bzzz! far more palatable than most, and Love Connection has produced some decent stories. (It also had Chuck Woolery.)

I think one reason why it's generally hard to get into shows like this is, the contestants don't seem real. Bzzz!, to me, the people weren't acting natural... they were vamping the camera, and using inuendos that, while they may be entertaining to some, roll the eyes of others. I agree with you though on Love Connection. There, the people at least ACTED real. You could also add Studs to the equation, and most die hard fans know that the responses that the two bachelors(ettes) had to match to the other three were TOTALLY cooked up by the writers.

I also don't like games that are entirely luck-based. I burned out on Deal or No Deal well before it devolved into an endless string of cartoonish contestants, general gimmickry, and product placement. (Though I would love to win a lifetime supply of Sprecher root beer.) On that same line, I've never liked lottery game shows for the same reason — and it doesn't help that a lot of the ones I've seen have abysmal production values.

Yeah, Deal or no Deal was just FINE without the extra gimmicks, but I think shortening it to a half hour actually improved the show, because it forced them to get to the CORE of the game, rather than REALLY stretch it out to the point where it looked ridiculous. How do you feel about PYL? Unless you're a genius like Michael Larsen, the game IS pure luck based.

Finally, another one that I've stated before — I can't stand any show in the Chuck Barris library. I just find the 70's cheese so overwhelming on them. (It doesn't help that two of Barris' three flagship shows fall into the aforementioned "dating/relationship" category.) Furthermore, nearly every TNG and TDG I've ever seen had multiple instances of answers so off-the-mark st00pid that I wondered how they managed to successfully operate the door leading into the studio. ("What's your husband's favorite condiment?" "Pool table.")

I agree with you on Newlywed Game and Dating Game, I can watch them on occasion, but regularly, no way. The one Barris show I enjoyed watching regularly was Treasure Hunt. Geoff just had such command of putting a contestant on a figurative roller coaster ride of emotions as wacky sketches unfolded infront of the contestant's eyes. The Gong Show CAN be fun, but I think towards the end, it was obvious Chuck was trying to kill his own show, and he couldn't have been happier to end the show at the finale. Then of course there were the total duds... $1.98 Beauty Show (Gong Show without a Gong, and you truly wish there WAS a gong!) The Game Game (Probably Chuck's only attempt at a "serious" game show that would bore anyone to tears), Camoflauge (Overly excited contestants and an overbearing host, not to mention the game was impossible to play along with) How's Your Mother in Law (Nipsey and Richard Dawson telling mother in law jokes... Wink hosted, and in an interview, he said it best when he said "It's not really worth talking about") Family Game (Bob Barker hated this Newlywed clone so much, he never talks about it in interviews) and finally, The Parent Game (Another one that was boring, and unmemorable)

Jay Temple

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 03:18:43 PM »
As I've said several times before, I generally can't get into dating/relationship shows, and I'm not really sure why.
I feel the same way, but I make an exception for Tattle Tales, once they went to the classic format. Of course, that may be because so few of the questions were actually about the relationship, and some of the questions were genuinely thought-provoking.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Bob Zager

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 03:51:19 PM »
Although I occassionally enjoy special "Celebrity," or "All-Star," editions of game shows, I haven't liked when they over-do-it, and sometimes permanently make that transition.

One of my biggest disappointments was "Celebrity Bullseye."  What made it even more disappointing was how the local TV Book, which came with the Sunday Detroit News/Free Press, would mention ALL the celebrity guests to appear on the program each night!  This made it easy to tell who was gonna win a match, and go on to meet another celebrity.  Of course, I could've just avoided reading the listings!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 03:52:20 PM by Bob Zager »

Chief-O

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 04:16:39 PM »
I can't stand any show in the Chuck Barris library. I just find the 70's cheese so overwhelming on them.

Never been a Barris fan either---then again, I do remember watching the GSN "Gong Show" anniversary marathon as well as "Treasure Hunt" [the past few times it had turned up on GSN in the past few years]. Acquired tastes, they are. Can't say I'm a fan of the personal/dating genre as a whole, either.

(Though I would love to win a lifetime supply of Sprecher root beer.)

And I thought I'd be the first to mention that stuff around here.
.....and it goes like this!!!

J.R.

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 04:21:27 PM »
Yeah, you've mentioned this like a dozen times already.

You just can't put a 2012 perspective on a 1970s show. Times and culture were different.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 08:48:48 PM by J.R. »
-Joe Raygor

pyrfan

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2012, 05:27:19 PM »
Although I occassionally enjoy special "Celebrity," or "All-Star," editions of game shows, I haven't liked when they over-do-it, and sometimes permanently make that transition.

One of my biggest disappointments was "Celebrity Bullseye."  What made it even more disappointing was how the local TV Book, which came with the Sunday Detroit News/Free Press, would mention ALL the celebrity guests to appear on the program each night!  This made it easy to tell who was gonna win a match, and go on to meet another celebrity.  Of course, I could've just avoided reading the listings!
Bob, did the Detroit News/Free Press list celebs for other games, too? It seems like a lot of newspapers stopped listing game-show celebs sometime around 1978, so to hear about one from the '80s that still did piques my interest!

To keep the post on-topic, I was never much for Q&A shows, but a lot of that has to do with the fact that I'm not really that bright.

Brendan

ITSBRY

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 12:48:50 AM »
No matter how Chain Reaction is served up, it's a total bore. It seems like it should work on paper but for me it's like watching paint dry. The one letter at a time thing just slows a word game down too much I think. Cullen's version had a decent bonus game but I still can't sit through an entire episode.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 12:51:59 AM »
The one letter at a time thing just slows a word game down too much I think.
How else do you reveal the letters? Pixel by pixel? :)

/Actually there was a game where you would set up a word, and your opponent would ask how many long straight, short straight, wide curves or short curves there were. I don't for the life of me remember anything else.
Travis L. Eberle

geno57

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2012, 01:46:59 AM »
I'm with you, as far as games of chance ... with little or no skill.  They could be played without players.

I'm also pretty burned out, frankly, on anything that's a straight-ahead Q&A quiz.  Once you've had Jeopardy!, why bother any more?  I only like Q&A games if there's a really good twist ... such as the Blockbusters board.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 01:47:35 AM by geno57 »

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2012, 09:30:57 AM »
Any of the Charades-based shows.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

alfonzos

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2012, 03:28:54 PM »
Actually there was a game where you would set up a word, and your opponent would ask how many long straight, short straight, wide curves or short curves there were. I don't for the life of me remember anything else.

If you are thinking of a board game, then you are describing Runes.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2012, 04:03:33 PM »
Furthermore, nearly every TNG and TDG I've ever seen had multiple instances of answers so off-the-mark st00pid that I wondered how they managed to successfully operate the door leading into the studio. ("What's your husband's favorite condiment?" "Pool table.")
A Group of Pill-Pushers. Strawberry Lip Girls. Miners & Hoes. An Ugly Child. Geronimo Horse. Superman and Spider Woman.  

Those are just a small selection of the moronic guesses on Wheel. Nevermind the nonsensical letter calls and general abject stupidity.  Hell, those examples were just from the first page of search results for dumbassery from the show. There are a LOT more. If moronic answers on the part of contestants is a disqualifying criteria for you, one of your personal favorites fails rather vividly.

Also: Not the biggest fan of stunt shows (ranging from Beat the Clock to Fear Factor).  Just not particularly enjoyable television to me.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 04:12:29 PM by Seth Thrasher »

BrandonFG

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2012, 04:23:45 PM »
Not a big fan of couples games where you have to predict what the other said (Newlywed Game, I'm Telling, Tattletales)...to me, it gets kinda old after awhile.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2012, 08:09:27 PM »
Any of the Charades-based shows.
I can only think of Showoffs and Body language, and the latter's puzzle portion actually made the show interesting to watch.

As I've said several times before, I generally can't get into dating/relationship shows, and I'm not really sure why.
I feel the same way, but I make an exception for Tattle Tales, once they went to the classic format. Of course, that may be because so few of the questions were actually about the relationship, and some of the questions were genuinely thought-provoking.
Seconded- you did get a few things about the relationship, but the questions were good. That first format was kind of a bore.

I'm burned out on Match Game. Once they mowed through all of the raunchy jokes, it just didn't seem fun to watch anymore. Maybe it wasn't so much a bad format as one that wasn't built to last for a very long time.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.