Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Changes in "Weakest Link"  (Read 1207 times)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Changes in "Weakest Link"
« on: December 16, 2003, 10:48:49 PM »
Besides the obvious change to less time devoted to gameplay and more to the banter among George and players, I noticed a couple of things that changed from the first season to the second:

Firstly, it seemed that George took a different approach to the game.  On the S1 reruns on PAX, it seems that George will take the opportunity to zing a player if it comes up, but wouldn't do that on his own.  In S2, he seemed to be more caustic when explaining the rules, going through the voting, and in every area except when reading the questions (I was as surprised as anyone to find out that the host of "Extreme Gong" do carry a speed round very, very well.)  It seems like the shows from S1 are more of a game where everyone is having a good time, and S2 seems like George is tired of the whole thing, is pissed off at everyone, and wants to get it over with quickly?

Anyone who knows what I'm talking about, if you could either articulate it better than I, or offer up a rebuttal, I'd appreciate it.

Travis
Travis L. Eberle

Robert Hutchinson

Changes in "Weakest Link"
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2003, 01:09:10 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' date=\'Dec 16 2003, 10:48 PM\']Firstly, it seemed that George took a different approach to the game.  On the S1 reruns on PAX, it seems that George will take the opportunity to zing a player if it comes up, but wouldn't do that on his own.  In S2, he seemed to be more caustic when explaining the rules, going through the voting, and in every area except when reading the questions (I was as surprised as anyone to find out that the host of "Extreme Gong" do carry a speed round very, very well.)  It seems like the shows from S1 are more of a game where everyone is having a good time, and S2 seems like George is tired of the whole thing, is pissed off at everyone, and wants to get it over with quickly?[/quote]
Comparing with the NBC run of Weakest Link, I think that the caustic tone was what they wanted all along. IMO, they got hamstrung in the first syndie season with a format that left very little time for drawing out between-round discussion, especially when there were ties in voting and/or in the final round. In other words, there's not much point in having George snark at the contestants while reading the rules if, when he actually gets to talk to them after the round, it's only to say "Whenthevotesaretiedthestrongestlinkgetstocastthedecidingvote..."
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin