Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: William Shatner's "solo" Winner's Circle round  (Read 4927 times)

Bryce L.

William Shatner's "solo" Winner's Circle round
« on: September 03, 2012, 11:38:25 AM »
Couldn't find any specific threads here about this, so here goes...

About the clip of William Shatner trying to play the Winner's Circle by himself in the 1970s series... does anyone here remember what happened on that episode, that resulted in Shatner playing solo?

MrBuddwing

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 11:44:25 AM »
I remember actually seeing that episode, and am disheartened to hear that the 20-second clip is all that survives.

If my erratic memory is to be trusted, they had some extra time and decided to just have some fun. The "solo" round occurred at the very end of the episode (again, if memory serves). And, of course, that's Lee Meriwether cheering Shatner on from the sidelines.

I should add, Shatner was given only 30 seconds to "play," but he dawdled, which is why Dick Clark comically shouts at him, "Come on, ya dummy, get over here!"
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 11:56:56 AM by MrBuddwing »

Bryce L.

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 12:06:49 PM »
Oh OK... I thought that was an actual "normal" playing gone seriously balls-up, as in Shatner's partner walked out on him... also, Lee Meriwether and William Shatner, you said? If Kris Lane's episode guide is correct, that would mean this clip came from the week of June 23 to June 27, 1975... sound about right?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 12:07:32 PM by Bryce L. »

MrBuddwing

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 12:08:38 PM »
Well, the year, certainly. This was when "Pyramid" was on ABC and was taped in New York.

Bryce L.

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 12:10:52 PM »
Thank you, much appreciated. Also, any other known cases of "solo" Winner's Circle playings, or was this a one-off incident?

MrBuddwing

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 12:14:44 PM »
The answer to that would have to come from a much more die-hard "Pyramid" fan than myself.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 12:14:59 PM »
If my erratic memory is to be trusted, they had some extra time and decided to just have some fun. The "solo" round occurred at the very end of the episode (again, if memory serves). And, of course, that's Lee Meriwether cheering Shatner on from the sidelines.
That's more or less my memory as well.  It certainly had nothing to do with "normal" play.  What I'm remembering is that Shatner had had a rough week, losing most games to Meriwether and not doing particularly well in the rare times he got to the Winner's Circle, if in fact he ever got there at all.  (It was a long time ago.)

And yeah, one of the reasons that the new GSN game can play the same amount of material as the original is that back then, there was always a lot of extra time if they needed it.  Notably, back when multiple tiebreakers would cause them to occasionally run long, they could actually squeeze in THREE trips to the Winner's Circle in one show the next day, an unimaginable amount of flexibility compared to today.

Thank you, much appreciated. Also, any other known cases of "solo" Winner's Circle playings, or was this a one-off incident?
If there had ever been another, we'd have known about it.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 12:16:22 PM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Jay Temple

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 01:49:33 PM »
The closest thing is a main-game round they did with Teresa Ganzel. Through a special visual effect, they made it look like she was giving clues to herself.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

BrandonFG

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 02:19:03 PM »
Ganzel Vs. Ganzel
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 03:33:26 PM »
What a hoot! Makes me wonder how other celebs would do playing with themselves...
Does not wonder that at all
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Marc412

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2012, 03:33:39 PM »
You may want to rephrase that slightly.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2012, 03:35:02 PM »
Travis L. Eberle

Bryce L.

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2012, 03:54:09 PM »
My apologies, let's try that again... I wonder how anyone else would have handled a solo performance in the Winner's Circle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2012, 04:07:26 PM »
My apologies, let's try that again... I wonder how anyone else would have handled a solo performance in the Winner's Circle
Does not wonder that at all
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

saussage

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2012, 07:06:44 PM »
And yeah, one of the reasons that the new GSN game can play the same amount of material as the original is that back then, there was always a lot of extra time if they needed it.  Notably, back when multiple tiebreakers would cause them to occasionally run long, they could actually squeeze in THREE trips to the Winner's Circle in one show the next day, an unimaginable amount of flexibility compared to today.
Going ot for a sec, if things were that flexible time-wise, what caused Donnymid to goto 6 answer rounds instead of 7? I was worried they were going to do that with the new Pyramid but I'm happy they stuck to the more familiar format. There would have been no reason to time crunch a game show that didn't need it. But yeah, spare time on game shows seem like the days of the dodo bird. Some of the best and funniest clips come from shows having more spare time and the bloopers that occur because of it.
Don't think too hard... you might give yourself a headache.