Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Behind Door No. 2: A Revamped GSN  (Read 18071 times)

BrandonFG

Behind Door No. 2: A Revamped GSN
« Reply #60 on: December 16, 2003, 04:08:44 PM »
[quote name=\'JRaygor\' date=\'Dec 16 2003, 02:54 PM\'] [quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'Dec 15 2003, 09:20 PM\'] [quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Dec 15 2003, 09:10 PM\'] People, read a book, take a walk, listen to some music. I'm starting to fear for some of you. [/quote]
[/quote]
Here is:

JOE RAYGOR'S SUGGESTED READING LIST:

Animal Farm by George Orwell
The O'Rielly Factor: The Good, The Bad and Completly Ridiculous in Americian Life By Bill O'Rielly
Jump the Shark by Jon Hien
Dutch by Edmund Morris
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Rhold Dahl
Things you Need to be Told by the Ettiquette Grrls

Also, why don't you also check out these movies:

JOE RAYGOR'S SUGGESTED MOVIE LIST:

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1971)
Planes, Trains, Automobiles (1987)
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (1988)
National Lampoons: Christmas Vacation (1989)
La Femme Nikita (1990)
Innocent Blood (1992)
Single White Female (1992)
Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie (1995)
Bowling for Coloumbine (2002)
Confessions of a Dangerious Mind (2003)

Read and watch all of those and your mind will be cleared of GSN Woes in no time !

-Joe R. [/quote]
 I approve of your list, except for "Confessions of a Dangerous Mind." It might get people to start crying that GSN should air "Gong Show." ;-)

I also suggest Family Guy DVDs for a good laugh, but skip over any episode with a game show reference. :-)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

calliaume

« Reply #61 on: December 16, 2003, 05:28:35 PM »
(dsmith @ Dec 16 2003, 02:01 PM)
Nor does Come on Down! or The Cat in the Hat. I've read a couple good books lately..if you want the titles, ask.
(dzinkin @ Dec 15 2003, 09:20 PM)
And let me add: in this context, The Encyclopedia of TV Game Shows does not count as "a book."
- David
(fostergray82 @ Dec 15 2003, 09:10 PM)
People, read a book, take a walk, listen to some music. I'm starting to fear for some of you.

My reading list can be found here.

Seriously, for about 20 minutes I was thinking about doing the whole Save Regis and Millionaire on ABC thing all over again -- write a pissed-off letter saying I'll stop watching GSN and dumb down my cable so I won't even receive it, invite others to do the same thing, and e-mail all the tv critics.  (I got a little bit of press, but it didn't save Millionaire.)  But:

1) they're not getting rid of all the game shows,
2) I'm not watching GSN very much anyway,
3) I'm not watching game shows very much anyway,
4) I'm not watching television very much anyway, because
5) I'm trying to read much more, and most importantly,
6) I have an 11-week-old son, who's taking up most of my time, and I'm better off for it.

So between that, and that I smell failure in the air -- as Matt noted, this is Sony following the herd on a new trend -- I think I'll wait and see what happens.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2003, 05:31:04 PM by calliaume »

uncamark

« Reply #62 on: December 16, 2003, 07:12:00 PM »
And life goes on.

At least Rich Cronin kept the wolves away from the door for two years.  Unfortunately, the ratings weren't good enough to keep Sony and Liberty from wanting something else.

Unscripted programming is not going away any time soon, folks.  The broadcast networks may hold back on the reality shows in the fall schedule, but when the highly-touted scripted shows start bombing out, unscripted programming once again returns (as now, with "Average Joe," "Simple Life," "Idol," "The Apprentice," "America's Next Top Model," "Celeb Mole," "Star Search" and whatever else all either starting, have started or returning within the next month or so).  Except for the "TPIR" prime time shows, it just isn't going to be studio game shows for now.

And the pattern seems to be set--a speciality channel starts out appealing to the hardcore, but has to broaden out their audience as they gain more carriage and the potential number of viewers gets larger at the risk of offending the hardcore audience.  Those of you who like all of the quirkiness at Trio, enjoy it while Lauren Zazalnick's still enjoying the benign neglect of her current bosses at Vivendi Universal--because when the Universal/NBC merger goes through and Dougie Zucker becomes her boss, it won't be the Trio that's around today.  You can be sure of that.

bclark71

« Reply #63 on: December 16, 2003, 09:07:52 PM »
I am somewhat disappointed, but I rarely turn on Game Show Network anymore, and usually if I do it's only when I'm alerted to some sort of special programming or a standout episode of a classic show.  I never just flip it on and sit down to whatever might spew forth.  But, boy, did I ever used to!  I first got GSN in April 1997, and I watched it A LOT. It was a novelty to me, and I taped a ton of stuff, thinking "This won't last forever.  Better hoard what I can!  Hee hee hee!"  I was like a kid looting a candy store.  Today I have nearly 200 tapes stockpiled and catalogued.  My wife is just thrilled.  :)

Like Mr. Alliaume, I have a small child (my almost-two-year-old, Brandon), and now he has shows he likes to watch.  His favorite is Blue's Clues, which I have to say is a better and more entertaining show than most of GSN's original games and many of the "classics."  He also loves The Price is Right.  He can already say "Come on Down!," and he asks for the show by saying "Wanna see Bob!"  Gotta raise them on the classics.

Anyhow, my long, rambling point is, I am shedding no tears and losing no sleep over this decision.  Maybe the change will be successful.  Maybe it will fail. (If it fails there is the possibility of the plug being pulled on the channel altogether.  Then there goes Match too.  I hope it's successful, if just for that show continuing to run.)  

Hell, maybe the new GSN will run classic game shows from 6am to 3pm and then run the new stuff.  I don't know and I really don't care.  When I want to see Match Game or Family Feud, it's never on when I have control of the TV, so I pop in a tape.  

I will continue to do so.

GS Warehouse

« Reply #64 on: December 16, 2003, 10:30:53 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Dec 16 2003, 07:12 PM\'] ... Those of you who like all of the quirkiness at Trio, enjoy it while Lauren Zazalnick's still enjoying the benign neglect of her current bosses at Vivendi Universal--because when the Universal/NBC merger goes through and Dougie Zucker becomes her boss, it won't be the Trio that's around today.  You can be sure of that. [/quote]
JEFF Zucker, Mark!  JEFF Zucker!

Goodbye Brilliant But Cancelled, hello all-day Queer Eye for the Straight Guy marathons.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2003, 10:31:07 PM by GS Warehouse »

Card Shark

« Reply #65 on: December 16, 2003, 10:40:40 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Dec 16 2003, 11:31 AM\'] [quote name=\'Card Shark\' date=\'Dec 16 2003, 04:51 AM\'] When the baby is born and I'm up all night with her, I'll have to catch some of the great programming on like those shows where someone breaks in to your house while your out and changes the decor. [/quote]
Hey, ya never know, the new GSN might use some of the library as overnight filler. You may get the chance to see Joker's Wild at 3:00a when you're up with the kid.

Good luck with the little one! :) [/quote]
 Thank you for your good wishes. ObGameShowsOrWhatever, I plan to use the summer wisely by exposing her to TPIR since that will be the only game show on worth watching (IMO). After all, my first words were "Bobba Barker," according to my parents. I can only blame my mother and my aunt for watching all these crazy shows with me as a new born and toddler.
Adam Strom

Jamey Greek

« Reply #66 on: December 16, 2003, 11:39:43 PM »
[quote name=\'chuckwooleryfan\' date=\'Dec 15 2003, 09:44 AM\'] I posted this in the GSN Forums, and I thought this was so good, I figured I'd share it over here too, with a couple added thoughts:

I just got finished reading Steve Beverly's "All in the Game" column. And you know what? He brings up an excellent point. The sad truth about television executives is that they make these business decisions to please the advertisers. As hard as that may be to swallow, they are the prime target. Not us, the diehard fans of this genre.

Over the years, I can safely say I have learned a lot about how a television network works and the ups and downs of running one. A few years ago, I would've been screaming and hollering here for GSN to pick up shows like The Price is Right, Sale of the Century, and Scrabble. Now, over this past year, I've come to realize that it is not as easy as it seems, and only with patience, perseverance, and maybe a little luck could we get what we've asked for.

But now, this announcement has made me realize that advertisers truly do have a greater power than we viewers do. There's probably a variety of factors that make them so much more important than us viewers.
It'll probably take me some time to reel in all the factors that has lead to Rich's announcement, but I'm sure we'll be hearing some real answers soon. I know this won't be the last time I hear of someone mentioning this topic.

Before someone goes out and misinterprets what I've said, yes. I'm as shot as most of you are that the "death" of GSN is nearly upon us. But am I going to scream, holler, break things, or swear all over the place? No, because as I said earlier, the advertisers are apparently the real fans of this network. If one of the executives were to actually base the network's direction on what WE thought, then it would've been a totally different story.

But I do give Rich Cronin at least some credit. He's doing all he can to keep a television network alive. Yep, a television network. That's what I'm calling it from this point forward. I don't know whether or not I'll be watching this "new" GSN that Cronin describes, no matter how big the changes are and whether or not they are absolutely true as Casey and LostCluster explained. But if it succeeds with the younger viewers, then good for him. If not, well, then that's a shame, regardless of whether or not they take an about face on this direction.

As the old sayings go, life goes on. I've recently been gaining more of an interest in older cartoons now that I've found some really old tapes. I've also been polishing up my writing skills in an effort to create fanfiction for certain franchises soon. And my sister has been going ga-ga over pinball, among other things.

We've both learned that we can go on without GSN. Nothing is meant to last forever, and in GSN's case, I think that's what we may be seeing IF this new plan even works out at all to begin with.

Thus concludes my long and argouous thought. [/quote]
 I also read Steve Beverly's "All in the Game"  and I am afraid that is the way it goes.  I fought tooth and nail to get GSN, ever since it first came out.  But, I did not get it until summer 1997, on my Primestar.  (Which Directv later bought out)  But, then I was visiting with my grandmother, my aunts, uncles, and cousins in Alabama, and by the time I got back for thanksgiving the "Dark Period" rolled around and I still enjoyed GSN.  In 1998, when they finally got the G-T shows back it was wonderful.  In 1999, When they acquired the 80s newlywed game, and Color GOTW's it was also wonderful.  But, for about 3 years, GSN ended up going Downhill on me.  But, we can't have the world however we want it.

calliaume

« Reply #67 on: December 17, 2003, 11:21:58 AM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Dec 16 2003, 10:30 PM\'] [quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Dec 16 2003, 07:12 PM\'] ... Those of you who like all of the quirkiness at Trio, enjoy it while Lauren Zazalnick's still enjoying the benign neglect of her current bosses at Vivendi Universal--because when the Universal/NBC merger goes through and Dougie Zucker becomes her boss, it won't be the Trio that's around today.  You can be sure of that. [/quote]
JEFF Zucker, Mark!  JEFF Zucker!

Goodbye Brilliant But Cancelled, hello all-day Queer Eye for the Straight Guy marathons. [/quote]
 I believe it's Doogie Zucker, M.D. (mostly dimwitted).

Not sure how he got promoted up after doing such a wonderful job with NBC's prime-time lineup (how about a Coupling marathon, anyone?).  The network's prime-time lineup is struggling now, and is headed for a quick downward turn next year with the departure of Friends and Frasier.  If they want to develop a prime-time lineup primarily devoted to shows like Fear Factor, Average Joe, and The Assistant, that's fine, but his audience will continue to shrink, and it will be impossible to repurpose those programs -- one run and done.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #68 on: December 17, 2003, 01:48:32 PM »
If they want to develop a prime-time lineup primarily devoted to shows like Fear Factor, Average Joe, and The Assistant, that's fine, but his audience will continue to shrink, and it will be impossible to repurpose those programs -- one run and done.

That's why I'm surprised that there's been so many "reality" shows.  Almost none of them have any rerun value.  I was always under the impression that to make any money at all on a primetime series you had to have the syndication sales after the run was completed, but I doubt that any of us will ever see repeats of "Joe Millionaire", "Big Brother" or probably even "Survivor" on a regular basis, so where's the big money?
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

BrandonFG

« Reply #69 on: December 17, 2003, 01:58:32 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Dec 17 2003, 01:48 PM\']
If they want to develop a prime-time lineup primarily devoted to shows like Fear Factor, Average Joe, and The Assistant, that's fine, but his audience will continue to shrink, and it will be impossible to repurpose those programs -- one run and done.

That's why I'm surprised that there's been so many "reality" shows.  Almost none of them have any rerun value.  I was always under the impression that to make any money at all on a primetime series you had to have the syndication sales after the run was completed, but I doubt that any of us will ever see repeats of "Joe Millionaire", "Big Brother" or probably even "Survivor" on a regular basis, so where's the big money? [/quote]
 Not so sure, but isn't Fear Factor up for some sort of syndication deal, or a rerun package on USA?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #70 on: December 17, 2003, 02:01:03 PM »
You may never see reruns of Big Brother on a cable network, but there is a DVD box set in stores right now.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #71 on: December 17, 2003, 03:09:55 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Dec 17 2003, 02:58 PM\'] Not so sure, but isn't Fear Factor up for some sort of syndication deal, or a rerun package on USA? [/quote]
 Fear Factor has the *look* of a reality show. but is much closer in structure to a traditional game show.  Each episode is self-contained with a set of contestants, a series of games, and one winner at the end.  Not unlike TPIR in that respect.  I hadn't specifically heard about a rerun package, but it makes more sense for that show than it would for others.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

uncamark

« Reply #72 on: December 17, 2003, 04:52:05 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Dec 17 2003, 03:09 PM\'][quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Dec 17 2003, 02:58 PM\'] Not so sure, but isn't Fear Factor up for some sort of syndication deal, or a rerun package on USA? [/quote]
Fear Factor has the *look* of a reality show. but is much closer in structure to a traditional game show.  Each episode is self-contained with a set of contestants, a series of games, and one winner at the end.  Not unlike TPIR in that respect.  I hadn't specifically heard about a rerun package, but it makes more sense for that show than it would for others.[/quote]
Endemol sold the rerun rights to NBC Enterprises earlier this year.

Basically, reality shows make money because they're much cheaper to produce than scripted series, meaning that they make back their money when they air in many cases purely from the network license fee--the same way game shows and soaps made money in daytime and G-T made money from the prime time panel shows.

Also, the other way reality shows make money--overseas format licensing.  The "WWTBAM"s and "Big Brother"s of television are probably in more countries than most successful U.S. scripted series--and remember that sitcoms don't import well.

TimK2003

« Reply #73 on: December 20, 2003, 01:03:56 PM »
Cable & Satellite channels are slowly becoming as homogenized as radio is today.  

Most cable channels over the past years had a niche that wasn't copied by others in great lenghts, and there was a lot of variety and creativity between networks.

Now it seems like with buyouts, mergers and just pressure by advertisers, many networks, just like GSN are quickly broadcasting "safe programming" -- a limited list of shows broadcasted ad nauseum.  Seems like I turn on Comedy Central they air SNL reruns, or Ally McBeal or MASH reruns on FX.  

There are many other popular programs from the past that are still favorites, but these big conglomerates feel that either:

a) The shows would be better fits when seen on newtork X than on their own network Y channel, while network Y feels just the opposite.  This results in good shows falling through the cracks, never to be seen again.

b) The conglomerate's programming formula over on Network A works so well, that they want to use it for all of their other networks -- never mind that the format is being applied to a different set of demographics and/or a different format.  Again, shows that should be a perfect fit on their network aren't and vice versa.

c) Their programming or format is set because their research proves that this is what EVERYONE in the country wants to watch -- never mind that their surveys came from Saginaw Michigan, Helena Montana, and East Los Angeles California.  According to their research, those 3 cities are a full representation of American audiences.

Thus the audiences are stuck with what they have, with little alternatives -- brainwashed into thinking that this is what you REALLY want to see.   (If you dont think this is real, look what Clear Channel has done to some of what were the best radio stations in the 70s & 80's.  Do those stations still have their own trademark sound that put them at #1 in their market then, or is it the same sound that can predictively be heard in 150 other cities???).

Yet, despite their niche shows are kicking butt in the ratings, the broadcast & cable networks are still crying that they are slowly losing their total audience base.   (If a show survives on a "solid" 8 share today, that same 8 share would be declared a disaster in the 60s & 70s.)

And yes, there are more of these niche channels popping up (Spike TV, Speed Channel, College Sports Network).  But give them time until they get absorbed by a bigger company and they will become as vanilla as TBS.  How many times can you really watch "Ghost" in a 2 month period?

It's a shame that it's the sponsors and company shareholders who now determine what we watch and listen to nowadays, and not necessarily the people anymore.  An even bigger shame that GSN is falling in line as well.  

As uncreative and repititious GSN has become, I'm lucky to make an effort to watch Match Game '75 anymore on a regular basis.  Any other time, I might stumble onto it.   But that's not because the novelty has worn off.  Lately, it seems when I tune in on a lark what is usually on is the same LIMITED episodes of the Dick Clark Pyramids, Love Connections, and Lingos, or that horrrid 2 hour block devoted to Video Games. Thus there is no priority to stop at GSN first anymore when I turn on the TV.  There are still ways to make a variety of old reruns fresh and new again, but the ones at the top don't see it like that anymore (sigh).

ilb4ever2000

« Reply #74 on: December 20, 2003, 02:52:53 PM »
And yes, there are more of these niche channels popping up (Spike TV, Speed Channel, College Sports Network). But give them time until they get absorbed by a bigger company and they will become as vanilla as TBS. How many times can you really watch "Ghost" in a 2 month period?

Spike TV's owned by Viacom and Speed Channel's part of the Murdoch empire. They've already been absorbed by bigger companies.