Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Mike Richards blog entry  (Read 6545 times)

SuperMatch93

-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
Mike Richards blog entry
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 12:22:13 PM »
I think he's spot-on.

But then again, I'm pretty sure this wasn't written with this board in mind. I don't think a vast majority of us really hate the changes they've made lately, do we?
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

jjman920

• Mhoops.
Mike Richards blog entry
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 12:29:46 PM »
Reaction at Golden-Road is to be expected. While some just continue on the way they were, others offered a calm review of the post. I consider it a nice gesture from the man who has received so much vitriol, since he isn't obligated to say anything. I am pleased that he did so and somewhat cares about what the fan boards think.

I'm glad he addressed the music cues. I don't want to pull the moog synthesizer out every show, but some of the cues really sound timeless to me and I think they'd still work today. I'm glad he seems to know that and I hope he'll mix some back in the future.

Again, this was very nice of him and while some things are disagreeable, opening the floor to hopefully calm discussion is a big first step.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

SamJ93

Mike Richards blog entry
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 12:35:29 PM »
I'm glad he addressed the music cues. I don't want to pull the moog synthesizer out every show, but some of the cues really sound timeless to me and I think they'd still work today. I'm glad he seems to know that and I hope he'll mix some back in the future.

They could always ask Edd Kalehoff to remix some more of the old cues.  I think a remixed version of "The Bean Stalker" would be pretty awesome, for one.

Again, this was very nice of him and while some things are disagreeable, opening the floor to hopefully calm discussion is a big first step.

If calm, rational discussion is what you were expecting...you may not want to read the comments under his post.
It's a well-known fact that Lincoln loved mayonnaise!

Steve Gavazzi

Mike Richards blog entry
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 12:38:37 PM »
Mike has said this two or three times over the last few years, and outside of a few shows that were intentionally designed as throwbacks to a different era, nothing has come of it.  I seriously doubt anything will this time, either, but I'd love to be wrong.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Mike Richards blog entry
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 01:25:59 PM »
If calm, rational discussion is what you were expecting...you may not want to read the comments under his post.
Which is too bad; Mike's writing went a long way toward my giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Is there a calm/rational way to say "I totally understand that you have your own vision for the show and I respect that. I just happen to not like it, nor did I like that one week a year ago when nobody won their pricing game. That was dog lame."?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 01:27:27 PM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle

TheInquisitiveOne

Mike Richards blog entry
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 01:56:46 PM »
I think he's spot-on.

But then again, I'm pretty sure this wasn't written with this board in mind. I don't think a vast majority of us really hate the changes they've made lately, do we?

For almost five years, I've sat on the fence while I've seen massive dissension about how Price should be going forward. Now's a good time as any to speak my peace.

Price is doing just fine. I wish Carey could be a little more consistent in his hosting, but that's about it. What a lot of the dissidents don't realize is that some of the things going on now did happen during the Barker era...just not as often as today. Does anyone not remember the celebrity appearances from Barker's 80th Birthday MDS and his 50 years on television special? What about the period just before the show went to an hour, on top of the sporadic occurrences thereafter?

I like the prize variety and change-ups on music. I love the HD translation. I love the set changes. I like how they try to keep the Price formula while trying to stray away from Barker's era. I have rolled with the changes and moved on with it...even embraced them. I even give props to Mike Richards for addressing everything that has been said and doing it with tact. That goes a long way when trying to earn respect.

Some of the posters at the PIR blog, however...I laugh at those who complain about those who get to bid last and outbid the previous contestant by $1. It's called strategy, and it's never going away. I see how some can complain about the supposed unfairness of Contestant's Row, but those are the breaks. You either are one of the first four and never make it on stage, or you're the last one called, make it onstage, and end up winning $26,000 (which has actually happened).

No matter what happens in the future, Price will always continue to be the show that it was when it debuted in 1972. Enjoy it...or move on.

The Inquisitive One
This is the Way.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Mike Richards blog entry
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 02:02:01 PM »
Enjoy it...or move on.
Sorry no, I don't accept that. The show is put out for public consumption. As a member of the public I am empowered to criticize it as I see fit. Others can then make their own choices. But it doesn't reduce to "if you don't like it then take your ball and go home."
Travis L. Eberle

TheInquisitiveOne

Mike Richards blog entry
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 02:14:29 PM »
Enjoy it...or move on.
Sorry no, I don't accept that. The show is put out for public consumption. As a member of the public I am empowered to criticize it as I see fit. Others can then make their own choices. But it doesn't reduce to "if you don't like it then take your ball and go home."

I don't disagree with what you are saying.

There is, however, a way of offering criticism without spewing acid. As I previously stated, Drew needs to find that happy medium between being full of energy one day and phoning it in the next. However, using terms like "Drewchebag" and saying that he will never be like Barker (in more perceivably offending language) can be too much.

Rather than stress about it, it would be better (for me anyway) to simply change the channel. I did it with WWE, for example, and it works just fine for me. In my honest opinion, it's not just about having an opinion, but it's also how you go addressing it. My two pennies offered here.

The Inquisitive One
This is the Way.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Mike Richards blog entry
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 02:17:51 PM »
Well explained. I have no beef with you, we're totally square. If you want to track me down online (I'm not very hard to find) I'd be happy to discuss the tipping point of why I decided that rassling was no longer worth my time as well. Or just about anything else.
Travis L. Eberle

TheInquisitiveOne

Mike Richards blog entry
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2012, 02:34:51 PM »
Well explained. I have no beef with you, we're totally square. If you want to track me down online (I'm not very hard to find) I'd be happy to discuss the tipping point of why I decided that rassling was no longer worth my time as well. Or just about anything else.

It's all good. We're having good productive discussion here. :)

The Inquisitive One
This is the Way.

Jeremy Nelson

Mike Richards blog entry
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2012, 07:23:06 PM »
I'm glad he addressed the music cues. I don't want to pull the moog synthesizer out every show, but some of the cues really sound timeless to me and I think they'd still work today.
Best example of this? The baby shower show. They pulled a cue (it was a variant of the main theme played on an electric piano) from the early years for a IUFB- I don't know if anyone else remembers it, but I remember watching and thinking "Whoa, is that a '72 cue?"

EDIT: It's the IUFB at 3:45.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 07:48:20 PM by Jeremy Nelson »
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

JMFabiano

Mike Richards blog entry
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2012, 07:40:18 PM »
I think he's spot-on.

I always thought the board's opinion and the like were overrated.  Despite the new host, the celebrities, theme weeks, etc. the essence of the show never went away, and that's what matters to me.  

Love the first (?) comment that complains about people winning their way on stage not by knowing the price, but by bidding 1 dollar.  Like Mike Richards innovated that.
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

JMFabiano

Mike Richards blog entry
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2012, 07:43:24 PM »

They could always ask Edd Kalehoff to remix some more of the old cues.  I think a remixed version of "The Bean Stalker" would be pretty awesome, for one.

Funny how some of the old cues came and went...yet the MG/HS theme survives.  Bowzer, you are not forgotten!
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Mike Richards blog entry
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2012, 10:38:55 PM »
the show has always changed the music with the times.
He is absolutely right. TPIR has an ironclad policy of changing the music every 30 years. Seriously, I think but am not 100% certain, that many of the music changes were to get out from under the royalties they were paying for the Score/Kalehoff music.

Celebrities have always visited the show and presented prizes in some fashion.
Yeah, you could call Janice, Dian and Holly celebrities, sure.

One of the things I see referenced a lot is that it is my goal to make the show a variety show.  I’m not sure where that came from
I believe Syd Vinnedge is the source of that nugget.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 10:43:57 PM by chris319 »