Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What if you can't use something they offer you?  (Read 5754 times)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
What if you can't use something they offer you?
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2012, 04:48:56 AM »
So, um, the unneeded prizes?  Didn't LMAD do that with the zonks?

I was thinking about that, but it's really different circumstances, isn't it?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2012, 11:30:37 AM »
I remember reading about an 80s Pyramid contestant who won a trip to Alaska...where she lived. I think they allowed her to get another trip.

I remember a recent contestant on Price dealing with the same issue (I think it was for a trip to San Francisco). Drew joked that she would get to live in the lap of luxury in her own city for a few days.

Honestly, if you can't afford it, that may be a nice staycation if you like your own city enough.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Argo

« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2012, 12:07:14 PM »
I've often wondered what people did when they won season tickets for the LA sports teams on TPiR back when they gave those away.  If you were from Boston, would they make some sort of arrangement for you ?

I remember an episode of TPIR thats on youtube that they offered 4 sets of season tickets of LA sports teams for Race Game. She wasn't from LA or something and during the Showcase Showdown Bob said we would have given you cash or something for them instead. Which makes me wonder, if they are playing for a price and don't know the prize can be swapped or something like that such as in this case, that would affect their playing of the game I would think. What's the incentive of winning 4 teams season tickets if you're not from the area and dont know you can get rid of the tickets. I know I wouldnt try too hard to win them.

Mark

Argo

« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2012, 12:12:23 PM »
I've often wondered what people did when they won season tickets for the LA sports teams on TPiR back when they gave those away.  If you were from Boston, would they make some sort of arrangement for you ?

I remember an episode of TPIR thats on youtube that they offered 4 sets of season tickets of LA sports teams for Race Game. She wasn't from LA or something and during the Showcase Showdown Bob said we would have given you cash or something for them instead. Which makes me wonder, if they are playing for a price and don't know the prize can be swapped or something like that such as in this case, that would affect their playing of the game I would think. What's the incentive of winning 4 teams season tickets if you're not from the area and dont know you can get rid of the tickets. I know I wouldnt try too hard to win them.

Or the classic clip that is usually played on TPIR specials where the contestant is going to play Race Game and doesn't need the prizes. I guess there are some prizes that are not as popular than others but still. I guess it's just luck of the draw. Sometimes the IUFB prize could be better than the main prize.

Mark

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2012, 12:43:41 PM »
Which makes me wonder, if they are playing for a price and don't know the prize can be swapped or something like that such as in this case, that would affect their playing of the game I would think. What's the incentive of winning 4 teams season tickets if you're not from the area and dont know you can get rid of the tickets. I know I wouldnt try too hard to win them.
The same incentive if you're from SoCal and you're playing for a snowmobile--you're on a game show for likely the only time of your life.  Don't come off as a complete boob.

In this age of Craigslist and eBay, it would be quite easy to unload season tickets.  20 years ago, not so much.

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2012, 03:41:14 PM »
^ Good point. It seems that with the Conoco/Phillips/76 thing, Phillips is the only one of the 3 that has any stations in Michigan, and they're all in the SW quadrant of the state (a good 4+ hours from where I live). All of our 76s rebranded in the early 90s.

If I won that, or anything else I have no use for, I would rather take it and see if I could sell it/give it away than decline it.
Bobby Peacock

TimK2003

« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2012, 10:55:11 PM »
What's the incentive of winning 4 teams season tickets if you're not from the area and dont know you can get rid of the tickets. I know I wouldnt try too hard to win them.

Dunno about you, but my incentive would be to win as much as I could on stage -- even if I later refuse some or all of the prizes -- if only for attempting to claim the "top winner" position in the Showcase Showdown (spinning last) and hopefully also claiming "top winner" in the actual Showcase (bidding or passing on Showcase #1).

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2012, 04:40:53 PM »
So I'm watching Wheel and noticed that a player landed on a gift tag that earned her a $1000 gas gift card from 76.
I know this is completely off-topic, but when I saw this, given the fact that the gift tag in this particular instance only had the '76' logo on it, it took me a second to realize it wasn't a $7600 space.