Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What if you can't use something they offer you?  (Read 5757 times)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
What if you can't use something they offer you?
« on: August 03, 2012, 07:43:13 PM »
So I'm watching Wheel and noticed that a player landed on a gift tag that earned her a $1000 gas gift card from 76.

Got me thinking...let's say you go on Wheel and you land on that and win it. Now say you don't live in an area where you can go spend that gift card at a local 76 station. Would you still have to take the gift card as it was, could you trade for another one for a station that you do live near, could you accept a substitute prize, or would it just be an automatic forfeiture? Piqued my curiosity.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

WhirlieBird74

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 07:47:12 PM »
So I'm watching Wheel and noticed that a player landed on a gift tag that earned her a $1000 gas gift card from 76.

Got me thinking...let's say you go on Wheel and you land on that and win it. Now say you don't live in an area where you can go spend that gift card at a local 76 station. Would you still have to take the gift card as it was, could you trade for another one for a station that you do live near, could you accept a substitute prize, or would it just be an automatic forfeiture? Piqued my curiosity.
Real simple.  '76' gasoline is owned by ConocoPhillips.  The $1000 gas card can be used at any Conoco, '76' and 'Phillips 66' gas station.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 07:55:30 PM »

As far as gift cards go, If 76 (or any other company) was underneath a corporate banner that had a different regional chain closer to you, then I can see them offering you a $1000 gift card to that station if the gift card didn't work all over the corporation (like Exxon and Mobil). Otherwise, I'm pretty sure you either take it and offload it or forfeit it altogether. There's got to be something in the prize agreement contract that says Wheel can't give you a BP gas card if 76 is the one offering/sponsoring the prize.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Thunder

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 09:12:08 PM »
I'd take a prize like that (one with a very high and almost-instant resale value) and immediately put it on the market.

That was simple.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 09:27:53 PM »
In this case, you should be able to use it at any Conoco or Phillips 66 as well.

I haven't seen a 76 station in over 10 years.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 09:28:28 PM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Casey

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 11:18:51 PM »
I've often wondered what people did when they won season tickets for the LA sports teams on TPiR back when they gave those away.  If you were from Boston, would they make some sort of arrangement for you ?

trainman

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2012, 12:14:38 AM »
I've often wondered what people did when they won season tickets for the LA sports teams on TPiR back when they gave those away.  If you were from Boston, would they make some sort of arrangement for you ?

The arrangement would be the same as if they were won by someone from L.A. who didn't care for sports, or someone from a city with fewer than 4 pro teams:  "you can take these season tickets to the Rams, Dodgers, Lakers, and Kings, or you can forfeit them."
trainman is a man of trains

J.R.

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2012, 12:41:31 AM »
"you can take these season tickets to the Rams, Dodgers, Lakers, and Kings, or you can forfeit them."
Did TPIR ever offer tickets for Clippers, Raiders, Ducks and/or Angels?
-Joe Raygor

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2012, 01:11:15 AM »
In this case, you should be able to use it at any Conoco or Phillips 66 as well.

I haven't seen a 76 station in over 10 years.

In my case, it would be complicated- I have no 76 stations and ConocoPhillips' properties were leased to other stations. All we have on the east coast is Exxon, Mobil, BP, Lukoil, Getty, Sunoco, the occasional Valero, Gulf, Citgo, and beyond that there isn't much- at least not that I can think of right now (and I'm fairly certain I missed a couple).
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2012, 01:58:14 AM »
"you can take these season tickets to the Rams, Dodgers, Lakers, and Kings, or you can forfeit them."
Likely not.  I don't recall season tickets being offered when all 4 teams existed.  The window of time all 4 teams existed is extremely small; the Mighty Ducks started play in 1993 while the Raiders' last year in LA was 1994.  Also, back in the '80s, would you rather have Lakers tickets or Clippers tickets?  The same holds true for the '80s Dodgers vs. the '80s Angels.

ETA:  I thought Joe meant offering all 4 sets of season tickets at one time.  I want to say I recall Raiders tickets being offered, but that's just a hazy 25-year-old memory speaking.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 01:56:16 PM by MikeK »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2012, 03:05:00 AM »
Also, back in the '80s, would you rather have Lakers tickets or Clippers tickets?
Exactly. Clippers tickets are what they gave you if you *lost*. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Flerbert419

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2012, 08:43:51 AM »
Yes, tickets for the Raiders were offered.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 08:44:07 AM by Flerbert419 »

BrandonFG

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2012, 10:45:23 AM »
I suppose you could simply ask for a $1,000 generic gift card (say Visa), or a voucher to purchase one. Like Mark said, I doubt they'd give a card for a competitor.

I remember reading about an 80s Pyramid contestant who won a trip to Alaska...where she lived. I think they allowed her to get another trip.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 10:45:32 AM by BrandonFG »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Patrick Patterson

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2012, 11:21:58 AM »
Once on 80s Pyramid, a computer programmer won a new computer and they replaced it with a separate prize, as well.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2012, 02:03:01 PM »
Once on 80s Pyramid, a computer programmer won a new computer and they replaced it with a separate prize, as well.
I suppose it was different in the '80s, but that tickles me because despite working in the industry and having four separate PCs around here (admittedly, one is running Windows 8 and another is a netbook for when I travel), I pretty much always have a use for a new one. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe