Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AGOT: 7/4/12 $25K Pyramid  (Read 12047 times)

Vahan_Nisanian

AGOT: 7/4/12 $25K Pyramid
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2012, 02:17:30 AM »
The downside of GSN HD, is the fact that older shows are zoomed-in and stretched, something the regular GSN never does.

snowpeck

« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2012, 02:18:44 AM »
The downside of GSN HD, is the fact that older shows are zoomed-in and stretched, something the regular GSN never does.

Only in primetime.  The daytime/overnight lineup has black bars on the sides.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2012, 02:32:42 AM »
Fair point, but what would you rather have- GSN HD or the Byron Allen channels?
If we're operating under the assumption that I have standard-def GSN either way (and we are, because I do), and the bandwidth *had* to be spent on one or the other? I'll give the bandwidth to Byron every day and twice on Sunday, simply because it's different content. Now, if Teh Pyramid is a massive hit, maybe I'll feel differently, but today, right now, I will take two channels of differing content over the same content being rehashed on a second channel in a fashion that adds nothing whatsoever to the content.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2012, 03:30:29 AM »
Fair point, but what would you rather have- GSN HD or the Byron Allen channels?
If we're operating under the assumption that I have standard-def GSN either way (and we are, because I do), and the bandwidth *had* to be spent on one or the other? I'll give the bandwidth to Byron every day and twice on Sunday, simply because it's different content. Now, if Teh Pyramid is a massive hit, maybe I'll feel differently, but today, right now, I will take two channels of differing content over the same content being rehashed on a second channel in a fashion that adds nothing whatsoever to the content.

This is where we disagree. Byron Allen's filler material is already seen seven days a week on stations all across the nation (with the possible exception of "America's Court"- in only that I won't consider it to be too much in the way of filler). Why does he need a channel, then, to rerun the same episodes of Comics Unleashed syndication has been beating to death since the show both a) premiered, and b) stopped first-run episodes?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

clemon79

« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2012, 03:57:15 AM »
Why does he need a channel, then, to rerun the same episodes of Comics Unleashed syndication has been beating to death since the show both a) premiered, and b) stopped first-run episodes?
I have never seen a single episode of Comics Unleashed.

Sometimes I want a certain type of TV as background noise. Cooking and stand-up comedy work well to that end, in my house.

(are you really citing rerun abuse as an argument FOR a duplicate GSN?)

PYLdude

« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2012, 05:12:16 AM »
(are you really citing rerun abuse as an argument FOR a duplicate GSN?)

Not really- my point is that why shouldn't GSN have an HD feed and why is it more of a waste of bandwidth than channels that rerun the same things you could watch on any given Saturday/late night because your local station(s) need something to fill a slot and don't necessarily want to show people the wonders of the Magic Bullet again? To me it doesn't seem like it's that much of a major issue- unlike, say, the disputes over rights fees to carry certain channels (regardless of whoever you believe is in the right, re: the Cablevision-Fox debacle of 2009 and the Dish-AMC Networks to-do this past year).
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

clemon79

« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2012, 02:07:49 PM »
Not really- my point is that why shouldn't GSN have an HD feed and why is it more of a waste of bandwidth
But you are. Your argument appears to be "the Byron channels are showing content that has been run into the ground on other channels at 4:00a." At least those have been run into the ground on other channels. GSN is showing crap that has been run into the ground *on GSN*.

The lone argument here is if, like many channels (Food Network comes immediately to mind, at least on FiOS), the SD version carries a West Coast feed while the HD version is East Coast. Otherwise, it's a waste of bandwidth because *it's the same signal.*

than channels that rerun the same things you could watch on any given Saturday/late night
Because I can't, necessarily. Maybe my local channel doesn't happen to be running a Byron show at the time I'm in the mood to have one on. I don't understand why "a exact duplicate channel versus a non-duplicate" is such a hard concept to understand.

To me it doesn't seem like it's that much of a major issue
...then why did you ask the question in the first place?

You asked a simple binary question, I answered that binary question and provided my reasoning for doing so. Certainly you are under no obligation to agree with me, but at the same time I don't think you're even acknowledging the arguments, either. And that makes people not want to bother with you.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 02:08:00 PM by clemon79 »

PYLdude

« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2012, 10:00:25 PM »
Well, Chris, no offense, but when your argument is basically "it shouldn't have an HD feed because I don't think it should", it doesn't help me out very much.

I mean, you're calling me obstinate but you're doing the exact same thing you're accusing me of doing.

clemon79

« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2012, 12:54:45 AM »
Well, Chris, no offense, but when your argument is basically "it shouldn't have an HD feed because I don't think it should", it doesn't help me out very much.
Except that's not my argument in the least, your audacity in suggesting it is speaks volumes as to why words like "pissant" get tossed in your direction, and no, I'm not going to reiterate my argument for you, because you are perfectly capable of going back and reading the posts that clearly you didn't the first time.

PYLdude

« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2012, 05:41:18 AM »
Except that's not my argument in the least, your audacity in suggesting it is speaks volumes as to why words like "pissant" get tossed in your direction, and no, I'm not going to reiterate my argument for you, because you are perfectly capable of going back and reading the posts that clearly you didn't the first time.

Alright whoa. First of all, I wasn't being snarky at all when I said that. Second of all, I'm trying to understand your point and I can't. You're saying that GSN shouldn't have an HD feed. Fine. But you gotta give me more than what you have been if you want me to see it as being the waste you think it is, and in my mind because you're not it reads a lot like it's just "I don't like it therefore it should not be." I read what you said a couple times over. What am I missing?

Don Howard

« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2012, 12:43:24 PM »
What am I missing?
Oooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh. No. I made a promise.

clemon79

« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2012, 01:23:13 PM »
What am I missing?
I will try this one more time and one more time only.

*it's the same signal.* (as the already-existing SD feed that will be there regardless.)
I said that twice, really three times, in this thread. If you still insist on equating that with "because I don't think there should be one," then you're being every bit as obstinate as people have come to expect from you.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 01:23:22 PM by clemon79 »

PYLdude

« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2012, 09:31:39 PM »
*it's the same signal.* (as the already-existing SD feed that will be there regardless.)
I said that twice, really three times, in this thread. If you still insist on equating that with "because I don't think there should be one," then you're being every bit as obstinate as people have come to expect from you.

Alrighty then. Now that I read it again, I kinda get where you're coming from better.

I'm in "agree to disagree" mode at this point, though. Whaddaya say?

clemon79

« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2012, 10:32:55 PM »
I'm in "agree to disagree" mode at this point, though. Whaddaya say?
I'm not trying to get you to agree with me, in all honesty. You asked a question, I answered it, you misrepresented my answer, and after being called out on that you reread it and claim to understand it better now. Next issue.