Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: High Rollers/Big Showdown dice  (Read 8912 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
High Rollers/Big Showdown dice
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2012, 02:42:09 PM »
Would it even take that? Wouldn't just a little Liquid Paper do the job for video purposes?
Depending on the color of the dice, maybe. If they were white, prolly. (And even if not, a can of spray paint and a Sharpie and now not only are they white, but the Chinese 2 problem goes away AND if you want to pip them in a certain style (I could provide High Rollers pictures if someone wanted) you could.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

bulldog_06

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2012, 03:23:36 PM »
Would it even take that? Wouldn't just a little Liquid Paper do the job for video purposes?
Depending on the color of the dice, maybe. If they were white, prolly. (And even if not, a can of spray paint and a Sharpie and now not only are they white, but the Chinese 2 problem goes away AND if you want to pip them in a certain style (I could provide High Rollers pictures if someone wanted) you could.

The colors are Patriotic...like Red and Blue (with White dots). Please provide High Rollers' pics

bulldog_06

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2012, 03:26:49 PM »
Does anybody know how big those dice on High Rollers and The Big Showdown were? That's kind of what I'm looking for. I'll try EBay. Does anyone else know though?

clemon79

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2012, 03:38:30 PM »
Please provide High Rollers' pics
I'll do this, I'll link the ones I already took, and that really should be enough to get you the rest of the way.

From this thread:

http://sdrv.ms/KnUwcF (Chrome doesn't seem to like the link too much, but IE and FireFox parse it fine.)

I'll probably unshare them soon because the world doesn't need to be in that folder, so get 'em while they're hot.

clemon79

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2012, 03:41:02 PM »
Does anybody know how big those dice on High Rollers and The Big Showdown were? That's kind of what I'm looking for. I'll try EBay. Does anyone else know though?
As it happens, I know exactly how big the HR dice are, for obvious reasons. They are 3 1/4" on a side.

J.R.

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2012, 06:32:42 PM »
the Chinese 2 problem
What exactly does this mean?
-Joe Raygor

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2012, 06:35:42 PM »
the Chinese 2 problem
On a normal die the two pips are at opposite diagonal corners of the die face. On Chinese dice (like what you'd find in a mah jong set) have the two pips orbiting the center of the face, and they're tucked inside as opposed to out at the edges. (If the die face was divvided up like a bingo card, mark off the second and fourth N spaces on your card. That's a Chinese die. On a regular die it would be B-1 and O-5, or B-5 and O-1.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 06:39:52 PM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2012, 06:40:38 PM »
Chinese-made dice tend to have the two-face with the pips marked horizontally as opposed to diagonally. (Like, in the middle of a side rather than at the corners.) They also are often marked in red as opposed to whatever the normal pip color for that die is because two is considered a lucky number. I find it annoying because if I'm going to do a project that calls for huge novelty dice, I'm probably looking for verite, but since most of the huge novelty dice are made in China (just like huge novelty everything else), they tend to have the screwed-up two-face.

EDIT: Travis's addition about the pips being inset a little is an excellent point as well.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 06:41:59 PM by clemon79 »

J.R.

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2012, 06:45:32 PM »
Aha, thanks to both of you. Much appreciated!
-Joe Raygor

bulldog_06

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2012, 08:32:26 PM »
As it happens, I know exactly how big the HR dice are, for obvious reasons. They are 3 1/4" on a side.

You said 3 1/4"..is that centimeters, millimeters or inches???

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2012, 08:34:28 PM »
Please don't answer that, Chris.
Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2012, 08:34:44 PM »
Inches. The other two would've been nearly impossible to use on TV. :-)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

bulldog_06

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2012, 08:41:53 PM »
Please don't answer that, Chris.

Excuse me for that "stupid question"...I just needed clarification.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2012, 08:52:36 PM »
Excuse me for that "stupid question"...I just needed clarification.
For one, using quote marks like that denotes inches. For two: three millimeters would be about a tenth of an inch. Three centimeters would be an inch or so.
Travis L. Eberle

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2012, 08:52:50 AM »
When I was a youth I had a set of Sportcraft Hi-Roller lawn dice. There was a pair of white and yellow dice, and they were the friendly-foam type, which meant they rolled quietly, and if you wanted to play a game of Spud with a randomized call-out, you have that.
The Lawn Dice set I had as a kid were plastic, not foam.  I think we had the Chinese 2, but not sure.

FAUX EDIT:  Found a set on eBay.  Does indeed have the Chinese 2 (and note how conspiculously none of the dice on the box have their '2' face showing....)

Sadly, there's none on the 'bay for sale right now, and they're 3.5", not 3.25", but I think you'd find that to be close enough.