Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: After-School Game Shows  (Read 12999 times)

trainman

After-School Game Shows
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2012, 04:45:34 PM »
...sports only on the weekends.

"Monday Night Football," which premiered in 1970, says hello.

Actually, even older than that:  local baseball broadcasts in a fair number of markets -- some of them even on network-affiliated stations.
trainman is a man of trains

BrandonFG

After-School Game Shows
« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2012, 05:38:18 PM »
Cartoons were only on Saturday morning,
In the '70s at least, I think this was very much not true...we had at least two stations in our market that ran a full lineup of cartoons / other children's programming (Captain Cosmic usually ran Ultraman or other poorly-dubbed Japanese live action shows - think Power Rangers, except you didn't want to gouge your eyes out with a fork) from the end of Dialing For Dollars at 2:30 (coincidentally, both channels had DFD franchises that ran at the same time) clear through to 5:00P or 5:30P.

That said, that's one anecdote and maybe *I'M* the anomaly. Lawn Defenders, was this true elsewhere in the country?

Hey...I grew up watching Power Rangers and its related shows. Even watching them now, I don't exactly want to gouge my eyes out with a fork.

Of course, this could easily just be Nostalgia Filter, but I have no shame whatsoever about being a child of the 1990s.
So did I, but I'd be lying if I said it does not hold up well at all. Because of the lack of games for most of the decade, I had some disdain towards the 90s for awhile. In the last few years I realized the decade wasn't so bad after all.

Coincidentally I'm listening to Sirius/XM's playlist from June 1994 and it's making me very nostalgic...
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Jimmy Owen

After-School Game Shows
« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2012, 06:09:17 PM »
...sports only on the weekends.

"Monday Night Football," which premiered in 1970, says hello.

Actually, even older than that:  local baseball broadcasts in a fair number of markets -- some of them even on network-affiliated stations.
Color me all wet.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
After-School Game Shows
« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2012, 07:14:46 PM »

That said, that's one anecdote and maybe *I'M* the anomaly. Lawn Defenders, was this true elsewhere in the country?

Sure...(then) WNEW and WPIX in NY always had cartoons in the (weekday) morning and after school (up till about 4 or 5pm) up through at least the late '80s.

The weekday morning cartoons on WNEW ended I wanna say in '88 when they added Good Day New York. They kept the cartoons in the afternoon until they dropped the Fox Kids lineup in either 2000 or 2001. The morning cartoons stayed on WPIX up until I think 2000 when they added a morning newscast. After they dropped the non-Disney syndicated cartoons they were carrying (which I believe when they stopped doing this consisted of the retooled GI Joe, C.O.P.S., and the Police Academy cartoon- I also think they were still carrying the Filmation Ghostbusters series too), they kept the Disney Afternoon toons until the WB put their lineup in, and that carried until they decided to drop the weekday cartoons.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
After-School Game Shows
« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2012, 02:43:03 PM »
Sure, in Seattle 11 and 13 would have cartoons or other kid's shows from 7:00 to 9:00 and again from 3:00 to 5:00.
Travis L. Eberle

irwinsjournal.com

After-School Game Shows
« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2012, 03:35:22 PM »
How could I forget HSq? That and Carmen Sandiego.

Although I was arguably maybe a bit over the target audience (I was 16 when it premiered), I did enjoy Carmen Sandiego...

And I was WAY past 16, and I still did.

/Late to the party as usual...
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 03:38:09 PM by irwinsjournal.com »
George in Ellison Park, NY

irwinsjournal.com

calliaume

After-School Game Shows
« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2012, 05:57:32 PM »
Back to the subject...

Match Game for virtually all of its run, and for six glorious months, The Money Maze.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
After-School Game Shows
« Reply #52 on: June 03, 2012, 07:17:22 PM »
When I was in the eighth grade I would come home to a tape recorded earlier of the daytime "Wheel Of Fortune".
Just curious: you wouldn't happen to still have any of these, would you?
I may be off base, but I don't think he meant that he was the one doing the recording.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

GameShowGuru

After-School Game Shows
« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2012, 10:13:51 PM »
I know I'm very late to the party, but I gotta put my 2 cents in:

After school during kindergarten and 1st grade, I would watch either $20,000 Pyramid or syndicated Joker's Wild (This was when Eileen Jason had a tremendous winning streak on TJW, I still remember her name vividly for this reason).

During my 6th and 7th grade years, I remember coming home from school and watching the CBN network game show block (and thereafter watching the USA Network game show block).

While this is not after school per se, it's still worthy of mention: I remember one of the highlights of my senior year was doing my homework while watching The Challengers, that was one show I really enjoyed.

William A. Padron

After-School Game Shows
« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2012, 10:19:01 AM »
If it was after school, but prior to high school, it was the CBS afternoon line-up that included The New Price Is Right, Hollywood's Talking and its replacement Match Game '73/74.  It was Tattletales at 4:00pm for awhile until May of 1974, then switched over in that time slot to ABC for The $10,000 Pyramid, later replaced by The Money Maze.
[Take The "A" Train]

Chuck Sutton

After-School Game Shows
« Reply #55 on: June 14, 2012, 12:08:28 PM »
Strangely my elementary school did not have a cafeteria so we had to go home for lunch.   So got home late and the after school show I remember most was Tattletates.

But since we went home for lunch got to watch Jackpot every day.

SwohS Emag

After-School Game Shows
« Reply #56 on: June 14, 2012, 12:09:13 PM »
Am I alone, or did anyone else really enjoy watching "Dream League" and "Sports on Tap" on ESPN in the early 90s?  Those aired late afternoons, I believe.  Also, I shouldn't forget "Top Card" and "Ten Seconds" on TNN, though those may have been earlier afternoon.

BrandonFG

After-School Game Shows
« Reply #57 on: June 14, 2012, 12:24:31 PM »
Am I alone, or did anyone else really enjoy watching "Dream League" and "Sports on Tap" on ESPN in the early 90s?  Those aired late afternoons, I believe.  Also, I shouldn't forget "Top Card" and "Ten Seconds" on TNN, though those may have been earlier afternoon.
"Dream League" IIRC aired at 4:30, "Sports on Tap" at 6. I believe the TNN shows were 2:30, re-airing in the 7:00 hour.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!