Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: After-School Game Shows  (Read 12996 times)

Winkfan

After-School Game Shows
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2012, 04:26:36 PM »
When I was in my first year of high school, the ABC affiliate in Santa Barbara moved Hot Seat to 4:30 in the afternoon; and after I thought I was gonna miss out once school started.

Cordially,
Tammy
"I've never stopped. I've never changed. I never did anything else."
- The Real Don Steele (1936-1997)

J.R.

After-School Game Shows
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2012, 04:36:39 PM »
The USA Network block when I was a kid, Bergeron "Squares" when I was in high school.
-Joe Raygor

BrandonFG

After-School Game Shows
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2012, 05:30:41 PM »
The USA Network block when I was a kid, Bergeron "Squares" when I was in high school.
How could I forget HSq? That and Carmen Sandiego. Occasionally, I'd have a tape of shows that aired in the morning or early afternoon, but more times than not, it was just the premiere episode. I think HSq and Match Game 98 were the only shows I recorded regularly.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

J.R.

After-School Game Shows
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2012, 05:47:40 PM »
How could I forget HSq? That and Carmen Sandiego.
Alternatively, how could I have forgotten Carmen Sandiego? Add that to the list too.
-Joe Raygor

Jimmy Owen

After-School Game Shows
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2012, 06:23:50 PM »
As time goes on, this board will be populated with people who fondly look back on "Fetch with Ruff Ruffman."
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Jay Temple

After-School Game Shows
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2012, 06:37:35 PM »
There was never a game show on after school when I was in elementary school.
Junior high: Musical Chairs, but it didn't last long.
Senior high: $20,000 Pyramid. After it was cancelled, my affiliate moved Family Feud to that time slot, which was my second-favorite.
College, including grad school: Jeopardy!
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

SuperMatch93

After-School Game Shows
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2012, 07:49:45 PM »
My last semester of high school (that I just finished) was a joy, because I would get home to watch Jeopardy! at 3:30 (I had 9th period free).
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

alfonzos

After-School Game Shows
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2012, 08:02:37 PM »
YDS!, MG, PDQ, and, occasionally, the forgetable Anything You Can Do.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

Tim L

After-School Game Shows
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2012, 12:28:22 AM »
You Dont Say? at 3:30 followed by Match Game at 4..PDQ for a little while at 4:30 Good days..

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
After-School Game Shows
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2012, 01:27:01 AM »
It varied for me. When I was in grade school, I had a few. I had Double Dare and Fun House on regular TV, the USA lineup followed by/or American Gladiators (when I had cable), and I think Finders Keepers (I don't remember fer sure).

I eventually got the Feud and the Davidson Pyramid and then added TNPIR to it as well. Beyond that, though, game shows were really limited once I got into '95. I had Louie's Feud for a bit in high school, but it wasn't until college when I got syndie Link, syndie Millionaire, and Hollywood Squares in the afternoon in addition to Pyramid and Flannel Feud. (For a few years we had Squares, J!, and Wheel twice a day, figure that out)

Right now, all the game shows air at different times. The last time there was really an after-school game show was when 5th Grader was on. All the others aired between 12 and 3 except for Wheel and Jeopardy (exceptions being syndie DOND and Crosswords).
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Johnissoevil

After-School Game Shows
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2012, 02:18:07 AM »
Loved watching a mix of the USA network game show reruns and the cartoons as a kid.  Syndicated Double Dare and Toffler Finders' Keepers were also part of my afternoon viewing habits throughout the late 80s.  Continued that habit into the 90s, minus DD and FK, of course.  When Combs Feud went into the 4pm slot in 93, that joined my afternoon game show viewing habits, and the FAM games fit in there throuhgout the mid 90s, as well.
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15

aaron sica

After-School Game Shows
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2012, 03:16:13 AM »

Although I was arguably maybe a bit over the target audience (I was 16 when it premiered), I did enjoy Carmen Sandiego...

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
After-School Game Shows
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2012, 03:40:36 AM »

Although I was arguably maybe a bit over the target audience (I was 16 when it premiered), I did enjoy Carmen Sandiego...

As did I, up until "Where in Time?". Then I stopped watching.

But at least Kevin Shinnick had enough of a sense of humor to laugh at it all those years later on Robot Chicken.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Craig Karlberg

After-School Game Shows
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2012, 03:42:26 AM »
There were 2 shows that basically diviede my attention during the 70's after school.  One was The Price Is Right, the other was Match Game during the 3 PM hour.  The 4 PM hour had Tattletales but I wasn't too wild about the gameplay of it.  I was more curious to see how they split the $1K bonus on a 3-way tie.

Offshored2007

After-School Game Shows
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2012, 02:08:24 PM »
IIRC, the MoneyMaze was on at 4pm in New York.