Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Behind Monty Hall's Doors: Puzzle, Debate and Answer?  (Read 7354 times)

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Behind Monty Hall's Doors: Puzzle, Debate and Answer?
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2012, 11:34:31 PM »
Even though the die is rolled one time you still can know what to expect, if not the result.
Here's your one roll. What is the outcome? All you know is that you have a 5/6 chance of being wrong.

just because it's a single trial doesn't suddenly make it a 50/50 proposition.
The house odds are 66.7% assuming the contestant switches every time, regardless of the number of trials. If the player doesn't switch every time the odds of winning are 33.3%. The distinction has to be made between the house odds and the player's odds.

It is never an incorrect strategy to switch.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 11:45:19 PM by chris319 »

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2012, 11:45:16 PM »
Even though the die is rolled one time you still can know what to expect, if not the result.
Here's your one roll. What is the outcome? All you know is that you have a 5/6 chance of being wrong.
Right, but so what? There are n different results for an n-sided die. The outcome is unknown until the event is carried out.
Travis L. Eberle

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2012, 03:19:23 AM »
Now to blow the lid off my blowing the lid off.

In all of the circumlocutious explanations of the MHP I've seen, I've never seen it explained in the following simple manner. Suppose the doors are laid out such that the car is behind door 2. Doors 1 and 3 conceal zonks. Now consider the following truth table:

PICK     REVEAL     REMAINING     SWITCH     NO SWITCH

1         3         1 OR 2      2 (Win)     1 (Lose)

2         1         2 OR 3      3 (Lose)    2 (Win)

3         1         2 OR 3      2 (Win)     3 (Lose)

By switching, the only way to lose is to pick the door with the car and switch, giving a 1/3 chance of losing and a 2/3 chance of winning. By not switching, the only way to win is to pick the door with the car, giving a 1/3 chance of winning.

Simple.

/If the contestant picks door 2, either door 1 or 3 can be revealed. It works out the same in either case.

//Headache any better, Brandon?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 03:24:55 AM by chris319 »

dale_grass

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2012, 10:44:22 AM »
PICK     REVEAL     SWITCH     NO SWITCH

1         3         2 (Win)     1 (Lose)

2         1         3 (Lose)    2 (Win)

2         3         1 (Lose)    2 (Win)            

3         1         2 (Win)     3 (Lose)

There's nothing more fun in a math class than those extension problems.  The table above looks like the probability of winning after a switch is 1/2, but it's still 2/3.  Who wants to take a crack at explaining why?  (This will be on the final.)

Denials

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2012, 02:19:16 PM »
Because two of the outcomes are mutually exclusive, right?

BrandonFG

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2012, 04:25:15 PM »
/If the contestant picks door 2, either door 1 or 3 can be revealed. It works out the same in either case.

//Headache any better, Brandon?
No. Where's my Advil?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Kevin Prather

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2012, 04:44:55 PM »
There's nothing more fun in a math class than those extension problems.  The table above looks like the probability of winning after a switch is 1/2, but it's still 2/3.  Who wants to take a crack at explaining why?  (This will be on the final.)
Let me see if I'm way off base here.

At the very beginning, you have a 1/3 chance of picking the right one, which means you have a 2/3 chance of picking the wrong one. Revealing one of the wrong doors does not change that at all. You're still 1/3 of the time right, 2/3 of the time wrong. The only difference is now you know which one to switch to if you want to switch, and since you're wrong 2/3 of the time at the start, you should always switch.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2012, 04:46:59 PM »
PICK     REVEAL     SWITCH     NO SWITCH

1         3         2 (Win)     1 (Lose)

2         1         3 (Lose)    2 (Win)

2         3         1 (Lose)    2 (Win)            

3         1         2 (Win)     3 (Lose)

You're double counting the door 2 pick. There are only three options: door 1, 2 or 3. If you want to examine the outcome of picking 2 and revealing 3, here's how to do it:

PICK     REVEAL     REMAINING     SWITCH     NO SWITCH

1         3         1 OR 2      2 (Win)     1 (Lose)

2         3         1 OR 2      1 (Lose)    2 (Win)

3         1         2 OR 3      2 (Win)     3 (Lose)
This is better analyzed as a logic problem than as a math problem.

/Brandon: We could analyze this some more until your headache is better.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 04:50:33 PM by chris319 »

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2012, 04:58:17 PM »
Let me see if I'm way off base here.

At the very beginning, you have a 1/3 chance of picking the right one, which means you have a 2/3 chance of picking the wrong one. Revealing one of the wrong doors does not change that at all. You're still 1/3 of the time right, 2/3 of the time wrong. The only difference is now you know which one to switch to if you want to switch, and since you're wrong 2/3 of the time at the start, you should always switch.
Without switching your chances of winning the car are 1/3. Switching inverts the logic of the outcomes and gives you the 2/3 odds. Switching gives you the logical NOT (inverse) of the outcomes.

/Need more Advil?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 05:11:43 PM by chris319 »

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2012, 05:18:50 PM »
You've got it.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

dale_grass

« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2012, 07:28:59 PM »
You're double counting the door 2 pick.

Not when you count the pick and reveal as the experiment.  Then there are two outcomes associated with picking the correct door: either one of the two remaining doors can be revealed by the host.  Thus, there are 4 elements in the sample space.  The catch is that the two middle rows in my table each have probability of 1/6: 1/3 you'll pick Door 2 and 1/2 Monty will reveal 1 or 3.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2012, 01:07:06 AM »

Not when you count the pick and reveal as the experiment.  Then there are two outcomes associated with picking the correct door: either one of the two remaining doors can be revealed by the host.  Thus, there are 4 elements in the sample space.  The catch is that the two middle rows in my table each have probability of 1/6: 1/3 you'll pick Door 2 and 1/2 Monty will reveal 1 or 3.
I don't see a bright future for you in the fields of statistics or logic.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 02:42:54 AM by chris319 »

dale_grass

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2012, 10:22:12 AM »

I'll pass that along to my graduate advisor in the math department.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2012, 11:53:29 AM »

If I were you, I'd keep it a secret.

beatlefreak84

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2012, 02:38:17 PM »

If I were you, I'd keep it a secret.

Now hold on a minute here...I've taught the Monty Hall problem in various math classes for years, and, in all three textbooks that I have used that explained how it works, what Dale wrote is the exact explanation they use.  You can even go more general and show that, even if the probability that Monty opens either of the two doors in the "bad" case is not equal, you will still get the same 2/3 probability winning when switching.

It's basically an exercise in conditional probability and/or in using tree diagrams and the "multiplication rule."

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™