Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Multi colored letters  (Read 2436 times)

Kevin Prather

Multi colored letters
« on: December 10, 2003, 10:42:03 PM »
Does anyone remember a few years back with the old board, when the board would occasionally have multi-colored letters? Was this a gimmick? What was it for?

Adam Nedeff

Multi colored letters
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2003, 10:44:53 PM »
I remember this because I entered the contest...It was a contest where certain letters in a puzzle were red instead of black, and when you re-arranged them, they spelled the last name of an Academy Award winner. They did this for two weeks and then held a drawing from all the entries that had at least eight right, with the winner getting a gold Cadillac.

Kevin Prather

Multi colored letters
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2003, 10:54:26 PM »
I don't think that's what I remember. I think there was a time when each letter had a couple colors. I seem to remember red and blue. Am i crazy?

cyberjoek

Multi colored letters
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2003, 10:59:32 PM »
Nope, at least not for this :-)
That was the "Olympic Dream" contest from 1996.  There were RED and BLUE letters that were re-arranged into two new words that made up the name of an Olympic event, each week one winner was selected from each station and they won a small prize pack, each weekly winner was eligible to win a trip to the 1996 Olympics (and tickets to all the event answers), the local prize in our area was a WOF/MSU/Olympics 1996 package.  The only reason I know this I just found a TV guide advertising this contest.
-Joe Kavanagh

zachhoran

Multi colored letters
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2003, 11:08:32 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Dec 10 2003, 10:42 PM\'] Does anyone remember a few years back with the old board, when the board would occasionally have multi-colored letters? Was this a gimmick? What was it for? [/quote]
 Besides the home contests mentioned in this thread, there were "Red Letter Puzzles" for a time in the mid 90s. When one of those was played, a contestant upon solving a puzzle could win bonus money for unscrambling the letters shown in red to form a word.

gameshowguy2000

Multi colored letters
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2003, 11:52:15 PM »
And it's been exactly 10 years since we first saw them. Let me detail them for you:

RED: First shown in Spring 1993, this involved a home-viewer contest. They gave away over $1 million in prizes, and to win, here's what you had to do: You first had to write down all the red letters shown in the puzzle. Then you had to unscramble those letters and form a word. You had to use each letter, and use each one only once.  This lasted for 3 weeks.

Then in the following season, this just involved the in-studio contestant, and he or she would win bonus money for guessing the word.

GOLD: To celebrate the upcoming 1993 Oscars in Spring 1994, they'd use this color, in what would be the second multi-colored letter home-viewer contest. Just like its Red counterpart, it involved writing down the Gold letters and unscrambling them. These would form the last names of Oscar winners.

RED/BLUE (in the order shown): To celebrate the 1996 Centennial Summer Olympic Games in Atlanta, Georgia; this color duo was used in yet the Third and FINAL multi-colored home-viewer. Just like the above two counterparts, it involved writing dwon those letters, and unscrambling them. In this contest, these letters would form sporting events you'd find in the Summer Olympics.

zachhoran

Multi colored letters
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2003, 08:26:09 AM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Dec 10 2003, 11:52 PM\'] And it's been exactly 10 years since we first saw them. Let me detail them for you:

RED: First shown in Spring 1993, this involved a home-viewer contest. They gave away over $1 million in prizes, and to win, here's what you had to do: You first had to write down all the red letters shown in the puzzle. Then you had to unscramble those letters and form a word. You had to use each letter, and use each one only once.  This lasted for 3 weeks.

Then in the following season, this just involved the in-studio contestant, and he or she would win bonus money for guessing the word.

GOLD: To celebrate the upcoming 1993 Oscars in Spring 1994, they'd use this color, in what would be the second multi-colored letter home-viewer contest. Just like its Red counterpart, it involved writing down the Gold letters and unscrambling them. These would form the last names of Oscar winners.

RED/BLUE (in the order shown): To celebrate the 1996 Centennial Summer Olympic Games in Atlanta, Georgia; this color duo was used in yet the Third and FINAL multi-colored home-viewer. Just like the above two counterparts, it involved writing dwon those letters, and unscrambling them. In this contest, these letters would form sporting events you'd find in the Summer Olympics. [/quote]
 Add to that list the Red White and Blue Sweepstakes c. 1994: The home viewers would see multi-colored letters(red and blue), those letters were to be unscrambled to form the last name of a US president.

Kevin Prather

Multi colored letters
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2003, 06:04:25 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Dec 11 2003, 08:26 AM\'] [quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Dec 10 2003, 11:52 PM\'] And it's been exactly 10 years since we first saw them. Let me detail them for you:

RED: First shown in Spring 1993, this involved a home-viewer contest. They gave away over $1 million in prizes, and to win, here's what you had to do: You first had to write down all the red letters shown in the puzzle. Then you had to unscramble those letters and form a word. You had to use each letter, and use each one only once.  This lasted for 3 weeks.

RED/BLUE (in the order shown): To celebrate the 1996 Centennial Summer Olympic Games in Atlanta, Georgia; this color duo was used in yet the Third and FINAL multi-colored home-viewer. Just like the above two counterparts, it involved writing dwon those letters, and unscrambling them. In this contest, these letters would form sporting events you'd find in the Summer Olympics. [/quote]
Add to that list the Red White and Blue Sweepstakes c. 1994: The home viewers would see multi-colored letters(red and blue), those letters were to be unscrambled to form the last name of a US president. [/quote]
 THAT'S probably what I was thinking of.

Was each letter one color, or was each colored letter two colors blended?

zachhoran

Multi colored letters
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2003, 07:30:43 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Dec 11 2003, 06:04 PM\']

Was each letter one color, or was each colored letter two colors blended? [/quote]
 Red on the top, blue on the bottom IIRC(or maybe they were reversed)

Kevin Prather

Multi colored letters
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2003, 08:14:49 PM »
Then I'm positive that's what I remember. Thank you. :)

gameshowguy2000

Multi colored letters
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2003, 10:26:15 PM »
I don't remember the 1994 sweepstakes.

I thought it was Red on the left, Blue on the right, like the 1996 sweepstakes.