Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: FIll in the Blank Question  (Read 6132 times)

BrandonFG

FIll in the Blank Question
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2003, 02:33:50 PM »
[quote name=\'tommycharles\' date=\'Dec 8 2003, 02:08 PM\'] [quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Dec 8 2003, 01:12 PM\']
The four originals:

Person/People
Fictional Character(s)
Place(s)
Thing(s)

Even Phrase and Quotation didn't come along into a few years into the run--and Person/People originally was *always* a proper name. [/quote]
So that's why Sajak would remind players that person doesn't necessarily mean proper name - because it used to be that way.

Did the US version of WoF ever use the "red letter" gimmick? [/quote]
And now we have a Proper Name puzzle, so I guess it's all moot now, isn't it?

And yes, Red Letter was used in the early to mid-90s. I know the contestant would win a bonus for unscrambling the words, maybe $1000. Also, I think there was a home viewer sweepstakes where you could write down your unscrambled words and send them in.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Jay Temple

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2003, 05:02:25 PM »
[quote name=\'tommycharles\' date=\'Dec 8 2003, 01:08 PM\'] [quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Dec 8 2003, 01:12 PM\']
The four originals:

Person/People
Fictional Character(s)
Place(s)
Thing(s)

Even Phrase and Quotation didn't come along into a few years into the run--and Person/People originally was *always* a proper name. [/quote]
So that's why Sajak would remind players that person doesn't necessarily mean proper name - because it used to be that way.

Did the US version of WoF ever use the "red letter" gimmick? [/quote]
 Yes, and there was one feature that always annoyed me.  A puzzle would come up in the category, PERSON, and Pat would remind the players (and viewers) that person "does not always mean proper name."  That always meant that the puzzle in question was not a proper name.  Then, on occasion, they would have another puzzle later the same day, with the same category and the same reminder.  The way they do it now is much better, because it doesn't make it sound like the contestants on those particular shows have to be reminded a second time in the same day.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

GS Warehouse

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2003, 07:29:08 PM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' date=\'Dec 8 2003, 05:02 PM\'] Yes, and there was one feature that always annoyed me.  A puzzle would come up in the category, PERSON, and Pat would remind the players (and viewers) that person "does not always mean proper name."  That always meant that the puzzle in question was not a proper name.  Then, on occasion, they would have another puzzle later the same day, with the same category and the same reminder. [/quote]
 I actually remember one show several years back when every puzzle had the category Person, and Pat made the disclaimer every time.

HYHYBT

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2003, 02:49:30 AM »
Maybe the reminder was for the dummies at home. You know, the ones who think they're so smart because they can shout out the answer before the contestants do, not even realizing that a contestant who knows the answer might not want to give it yet.
"If you ask me to repeat this I'm gonna punch you right in the nose" -- Geoff Edwards, Play the Percentages

Clay Zambo

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2003, 07:19:32 AM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Dec 8 2003, 07:29 PM\'] I actually remember one show several years back when every puzzle had the category Person, and Pat made the disclaimer every time. [/quote]
 I wonder if the Powers That Be did that just to mess with Pat, who likely was getting tired of the disclaimer.  After all, this is the guy who gave the world, "...because once you buy a horse, it's yours to keep."
czambo@mac.com

JayC

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2003, 10:15:38 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Dec 8 2003, 01:12 PM\'] [quote name=\'JayC\' date=\'Dec 6 2003, 07:54 PM\']BTW, does anyone know what catagory has been the most used in WoF history?  My guess would be thing or phrase.[/quote]
The four originals:

Person/People
Fictional Character(s)
Place(s)
Thing(s)

Fictional character is an original?  I remember it debuting only about 8 years ago.

BrandonFG

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2003, 10:29:38 PM »
[quote name=\'JayC\' date=\'Dec 10 2003, 10:15 PM\'] [quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Dec 8 2003, 01:12 PM\'] [quote name=\'JayC\' date=\'Dec 6 2003, 07:54 PM\']BTW, does anyone know what catagory has been the most used in WoF history?  My guess would be thing or phrase.[/quote]
The four originals:

Person/People
Fictional Character(s)
Place(s)
Thing(s)

Fictional character is an original?  I remember it debuting only about 8 years ago. [/quote]
 I'm almost sure I saw it used on the 1976 tournament at the Museum of TV/Radio.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2003, 10:45:41 PM »
I could have sworn FC made it's debut in '89 on Goen's version, under the monaker Person/Fictional Character

Or something like that.

zachhoran

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2003, 11:10:19 PM »
[quote name=\'Seth Thrasher\' date=\'Dec 10 2003, 10:45 PM\'] I could have sworn FC made it's debut in '89 on Goen's version, under the monaker Person/Fictional Character

Or something like that. [/quote]
 Person/Title, and Star & Role puzzles started appearing around the time the show moved to CBS, so maybe that is what you are thinking of.

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2003, 11:11:10 PM »
[quote name=\'Seth Thrasher\' date=\'Dec 10 2003, 10:45 PM\'] I could have sworn FC made it's debut in '89 on Goen's version, under the monaker Person/Fictional Character

Or something like that. [/quote]
 Fictional Character has been around since I was a wee lad.

Brandon Brooks

gameshowguy2000

« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2003, 12:56:23 AM »
When the category debuted, it was just plain known as "BLANK," and we'd see a question mark or two, but not one on top of the other, like today.

When the question marks appearing on top of the other came in, the category would formally be known as "FILL IN THE BLANK."

Those question marks were scattered throughout the puzzle, like on the Christmas Day 1992 show:

The first puzzle of the night was BLANK, and was "OH WHAT FUN IT IS TO RIDE IN (?)".

And I'll let you guys guess what belongs in the blank!

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2003, 01:41:22 AM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Dec 11 2003, 12:56 AM\'] The first puzzle of the night was BLANK, and was "OH WHAT FUN IT IS TO RIDE IN (?)".

And I'll let you guys guess what belongs in the blank! [/quote]
 "The Backseat of a Police Car" (BUZZZZZZZZZZ) =p

(this is the worst joke I made, so please don't be as harsh)

The Fill in the Blank Category hasn't been around in about 3 1/2 years, and when the new puzzleboard is being used, they used a question mark to fill in the blank.