Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPIR doing Plinko stunt week of Apr 9th..  (Read 19883 times)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
TPIR doing Plinko stunt week of Apr 9th..
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2012, 12:42:43 PM »
I am curious about why we didn't see this kind of dislike about the Super Deal.  Just asking for compare/contrast.
Super Deal is a known quantity that was pulled from the mothballs of history and unchanged except for the chrome. I think there are some problems, but they pertain to the presentation and not the fact that you can win something after the Big Deal.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2012, 01:23:17 PM »
Happily, there's a balanced number of leveler heads who aren't planning boycots
Boycott my ass. EVERY ONE of them is gonna be glued to their set next week, even if George Gray's hi-how-ya-doin' involved him dropping his pants and firing a rocket.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 01:23:40 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2012, 01:28:36 PM »
I am curious about why we didn't see this kind of dislike about the Super Deal.  Just asking for compare/contrast.
The Super Deal is being used 10 times for a special occasion.  It isn't a popular facet of the show already played once a week.

I'm in the camp of not liking this much for the overkill factor, plus the lack of variety of small prize games being played next week.  With Plinko every day, I assume better games (IMO) such as Rat Race, Punch a Bunch, Pathfinder, Master Key, etc. will be shelved.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 01:53:26 PM by MikeK »

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2012, 01:29:44 PM »
Boycott my ass. EVERY ONE of them is gonna be glued to their set next week, even if George Gray's hi-how-ya-doin' involved him dropping his pants and firing a rocket.
"Is that a rocket in your pants or are you happy to see me?"

"Son of a bitch, it was a rocket."

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2012, 01:44:44 PM »
Viewers will probably like seeing it pop up more often and will be interested in the final chip jackpot. Win-win, I'd say.
I usually reserve this kind of thing for the more, er, shall we say "special" of our members, but you sure are making an awful lot of assumptions based on pure speculations there.

Yes, the marquee game will be played every day. That not only means that other games won't be played (as the Math Beast alluded to) but it also takes away a large part of what makes the show what it is: the suspense and surprise of what game will be played when, or if at all. And what happens if the jackpot doesn't pay off? Letdown city, just like that dopey $100m sweepstakes deal that Hershey's shoehorned into an episode of Deal or No Deal.

If I was doing this (and that's a big if, mind) I would stick it at the end of the show, as a bonus to the winner of the showcase.
Travis L. Eberle

dale_grass

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2012, 01:47:08 PM »

Hey, I'm just repeating what they were screaming from under their aluminum foil hats. ;) And I agree, none of them will miss it.  How else would they pick it apart afterward?

pacdude

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2012, 03:43:37 PM »
It would be like putting a Corvette on Any Number and play it for a week. Major burnout of a game.

I would think it would be more like, playing Any Number for a Honda on Day One. If no one wins the Honda, then the next day, it jumps to a Corvette. If no one wins the Corvette, the next day, it jumps to a Benz. If no one wins the Benz, then it moves to a Porsche. If no one wins the Porsche, then it moves to a Lambo. Which actually, I wouldn't mind watching for a week straight.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2012, 03:55:42 PM »
I would think it would be more like, playing Any Number for a Honda on Day One. If no one wins the Honda, then the next day, it jumps to a Corvette. If no one wins the Corvette, the next day, it jumps to a Benz. If no one wins the Benz, then it moves to a Porsche. If no one wins the Porsche, then it moves to a Lambo. Which actually, I wouldn't mind watching for a week straight.
And part of the deal that I don't like is how someone is in line to take down a huge cash prize just on account of showing up to the "correct" taping. I didn't like it on Super Password, I still don't like it. "The Porsche was won yesterday, so you're starting out with a base model Toyota Tercel. Let's play!"
Travis L. Eberle

J.R.

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2012, 03:56:40 PM »
I'd like to know why do they still complain about changes *six years* after the big overhaul? And, like you said, they're going to watch anyway. So, what's the point?
-Joe Raygor

chad1m

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2012, 04:09:52 PM »
you sure are making an awful lot of assumptions based on pure speculations there.
What speculation? Plinko, as shown by an iCount USA (a Fremantle-used research firm) in-depth Price is Right survey last spring, is the favorite game on the program. And has been shown by Millionaire in 1999/2000 and Deal or No Deal in 2005/2006, viewers enjoy it when a lot of what they like is given to them at a frequent rate. This is why I think it is fine for just a week, because as Millionaire in 2002 and Deal in 2008 shows us, when you do too much, it does indeed become ruined. (As I alluded to in my earlier comment about it not being analogous to a month-long marathon, which would be overkill.) Using all of this, I do not believe I am speculating, I'm using facts and prior evidence to make a future conclusion. I don't think five days of the viewership's favorite game is too much.
And what  happens if the jackpot doesn't pay off? Letdown city, just like that  dopey $100m sweepstakes deal that Hershey's shoehorned into an episode  of Deal or No Deal.
I don't think it's fair to compare the odds  of a board of 150 (or so?) cases to 9 slots where the chip might fall. The chances of one  happening greatly outweigh the other.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 04:14:00 PM by chad1m »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2012, 04:22:56 PM »
Using all of this, I do not believe I am speculating, I'm using facts and prior evidence to make a future conclusion.
Neverminding that "using facts and prior evidence to make a future conclusion" is the *exact definition* of "speculation," you're combining tenuously-related facts from disparate sources to draw a conclusion about this one. In formal logic we call this ignoratio elenchi.

Now, I'm not saying the conclusion you drew is right or wrong, but please don't claim it's anything approaching a logical defense, because it isn't remotely close.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 04:26:18 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2012, 04:28:07 PM »
What speculation? Plinko, as shown by an iCount USA (a Fremantle-used research firm) in-depth Price is Right survey last spring, is the favorite game on the program.
Fremantle had to do a survey to figure out that Plinko was the most popular game?  I could have told you that 15 years ago.

Neumms

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2012, 04:33:53 PM »
You know, they've had two--count 'em, TWO--Showcase Showdowns a day for some 35 years and that hasn't worn out. Playing Plinko everyday for a week doesn't seem like that big a deal. The prize money isn't a huge departure. The sponsorship is grating, but if they handle it in a creative way (not that those odds aren't long) it wouldn't have to blow.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2012, 04:37:14 PM »
You know, they've had two--count 'em, TWO--Showcase Showdowns a day for some 35 years and that hasn't worn out.
3/10. You might get some action with this.
Travis L. Eberle

pacdude

« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2012, 06:40:28 PM »
And part of the deal that I don't like is how someone is in line to take down a huge cash prize just on account of showing up to the "correct" taping. I didn't like it on Super Password, I still don't like it. "The Porsche was won yesterday, so you're starting out with a base model Toyota Tercel. Let's play!"

Would this mean that you're against any building jackpot?