Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The most miscast hosts  (Read 14014 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
The most miscast hosts
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2012, 03:07:27 AM »
I thought they succeeded in doing that by making those questions as random as they did.
As usual, I couldn't be happier to disagree with you.

How is it any different, then, from Millionaire asking questions like "Who was Uncle Sam modeled after" or "Who did Grant Wood base the farmer off of" or any of those questions that people normally would not have heard of unless they either a) knew the answer off the top of their head or b) had experience in something related to the question's subject matter?
Because there are multiple places you can pick things like that up over the course of time, as opposed to the single article (IF that) written in some magazine or another about whatever obscure-assed poll this is. Your examples are also questions with concrete, vetted answers from multiple sources, as opposed to "if you haven't seen this one specific poll's results (and really, why would you have), you are guessing."

Really, that you are even suggesting that the two are remotely equivalent shows that we have absolutely no common ground to come to any sort of conclusion on.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

J.R.

The most miscast hosts
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2012, 03:09:46 AM »
Wholly disagree. The whole point of Greed to me was that okay, we'll give away a top prize of $2M, but you're gonna have to earn your way to it. I thought they succeeded in doing that by making those questions as random as they did.
Nah, Chris is right here. When you get "questions" like "Name the top four best selling tampon brands of 1992", it makes the game way too hard and too random.
-Joe Raygor

Jimmy Owen

The most miscast hosts
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2012, 03:13:06 AM »
Wholly disagree. The whole point of Greed to me was that okay, we'll give away a top prize of $2M, but you're gonna have to earn your way to it. I thought they succeeded in doing that by making those questions as random as they did.
Nah, Chris is right here. When you get "questions" like "Name the top four best selling tampon brands of 1992", it makes the game way too hard and too random.
That wasn't a real question, was it?  Because if it was, it wouldn't be hard to figure out.  Kotex and Tampax come immediately to mind.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

clemon79

The most miscast hosts
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2012, 03:16:01 AM »
Nah, Chris is right here.
Admittedly, by definition. a Chris is right here. :)

clemon79

The most miscast hosts
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2012, 03:19:58 AM »
That wasn't a real question, was it?  Because if it was, it wouldn't be hard to figure out.  Kotex and Tampax come immediately to mind.
Great, that's two. Now, two more. And oh, by the way, out of the six given answers, one of the "wrong" ones...was the fifth-best-selling. And you're not in tampon sales and so would have no occasion to see industry sales figures.

Good luck with that.

(And your example is even based on concrete data as opposed to a poll result, and it's STILL insanely hard. Now pick the top five most popular flavors of Kool-Aid out of this list of the top seven, as determined by a poll commissioned by the Norwegian edition of Cigar Aficionado.)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 03:23:08 AM by clemon79 »

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
The most miscast hosts
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2012, 03:46:47 AM »

Again, I ask how is that different from the two million dollar questions I cited? Or for instance, Joe Trela's (computer bug) or Ken Basin's (well...you know)?

Don't deny the point, don't agree with it either. My philosophy in this case.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 03:46:59 AM by PYLdude »
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

J.R.

The most miscast hosts
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2012, 03:52:35 AM »
I meant you, for the record. :)

/Disturbed by Owen's knowledge of tampons.
-Joe Raygor

aaron sica

The most miscast hosts
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2012, 04:17:23 AM »
I liked a lot of the "alternate" hosts if you will...Kennedy was great on TPiR85, Jim Peck when subbing for Jack Barry was good, Bill Cullen was of course Bill Cullen on $25K pyramid....

However, my vote for miscast host goes to Louie Anderson. When I can't watch a game show because the host's voice annoys the piss out of me, that's *bad*. And just his delivery..."Show me restaurant, is it up 'dere?"
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 05:58:15 AM by aaron sica »

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
The most miscast hosts
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2012, 04:21:29 AM »
However, my vote for miscast host goes to Louie Anderson. When I can't watch a game show because the announcer's voice annoys the piss out of me, that's *bad*. And just his delivery..."Show me restaurant, is it up 'dere?"

I'm sure you meant "host" there but I just had a strange thought of Louie Anderson as a game show announcer...shudder.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

knagl

• Executive Producer
The most miscast hosts
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2012, 05:06:30 AM »
Nah, Chris is right here.
...and we all know that The Joker's Wild is a game of definitions.

Wait, what?

Speaking of TJW, I don't remember watching many episodes with him at the helm, but Uncle Bill didn't exactly seem like he'd be the right fit for that show.

aaron sica

The most miscast hosts
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2012, 05:58:01 AM »
However, my vote for miscast host goes to Louie Anderson. When I can't watch a game show because the announcer's voice annoys the piss out of me, that's *bad*. And just his delivery..."Show me restaurant, is it up 'dere?"

I'm sure you meant "host" there but I just had a strange thought of Louie Anderson as a game show announcer...shudder.

I did, thanks. Fixing now. :)

BrandonFG

The most miscast hosts
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2012, 07:58:10 AM »
With "Greed", I agree the top-4 types of survey questions or sales didn't work. There were other elements I enjoyed, but the random questions like that which relied on blind guessing didn't work, not with that kind of money on the line.

Doing something closer to what "The Rich/Money List" may have worked better, i.e. Of these 7 movies released in the 1960s, which 4 won Best Picture?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
The most miscast hosts
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2012, 12:01:54 PM »
Drew Carey. He's not the right guy to be hosting TPIR.

If I've offended any of Drew's fans, so be it.

Bill Cullen on P+. He had the format down slick but was just too slow. Apologies to fans of Bill Cullen.

rjaguar3

The most miscast hosts
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2012, 12:43:37 PM »
Doing something closer to what "The Rich/Money List" may have worked better, i.e. Of these 7 movies released in the 1960s, which 4 won Best Picture?

Believe it or not, there was a Greed question requiring the team to pick out the four Best Pictures from the six choices.

One question I really liked from the original run was the one that gave statements about the game Monopoly and required the team to pick out the four true statements.

I know there was a Geocities site with all of the episode recaps, but I don't have it offhand.  It would be very interesting to see just how prevalent survey/poll-style questions were, and whether the proportion of such questions changed during Greed's run.

Kevin Prather

The most miscast hosts
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2012, 01:19:58 PM »
I think the flaw in the questions is not necessarily a knock on the Greed format itself. If it knocked it off with the survey questions and actually asked questions of substance, the format would have shined a lot more.