Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: You'll never guess who I met yesterday...  (Read 8408 times)

dale_grass

You'll never guess who I met yesterday...
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2012, 02:01:30 PM »
Don't get me started about Tom Kennedy, though.  What an ass.
Let me guess, Kennedy is right up there with Barker?

Gentlemen, they both have exquisite asses.  I think we'll all concede that point.  But what about there disposition on and off air?

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2012, 02:06:44 PM »
OK, I'll concede the point of how he appeared on-air. But to play devil's advocate, perhaps Carpenter got caught up in the moment of his success at that taping, and perhaps he didn't realize how he was presenting himself, and didn't intend to be that way.
Or maybe he didn't care/think about it because he was too busy becoming independently wealthy for knowing the answers to the questions being asked.

Some things don't deserve the thought they're given. This is one of those times.
Travis L. Eberle

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2012, 02:09:35 PM »
OK, I'll concede the point of how he appeared on-air.
You are conceding 100% of my point.  As I stated very clearly, it's completely possible (and from what I hear, even likely) that he's a nice guy in real life.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

tvwxman

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2012, 10:00:47 PM »
OK, having actually met and interviewed Carpenter, would you say the criticism dumped on him at the time of his victory (mainly about him coming off as "smug" or "cocky") was unwarranted?
I've never met the man, but let's face it, at the time of his victory, he came off as smug and cocky.  He may be (and probably is) a swell person in person.  Lots of people (including former TPIR hosts*) come across as wonderful people ON camera and are a different story off camera.  No reason it can't work the other way around.

[size="1"]*Not Bill, the other one.[/size]
Bingo.

At the time I watched him , I thought he was smug. At the time I interviewed him, I thought he was a regular guy.

TV does wierd things to you, especially after editing. Years after my appearance on "Weakest Link", I still think I came off as an asshole. Good for that show, bad for business when you're a happy-go-lucky TV weatherman.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

chrisholland03

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2012, 10:11:28 PM »
Bingo.

At the time I watched him , I thought he was smug. At the time I interviewed him, I thought he was a regular guy.

TV does wierd things to you, especially after editing. Years after my appearance on "Weakest Link", I still think I came off as an asshole. Good for that show, bad for business when you're a happy-go-lucky TV weatherman.

Internet forums are much the same way.  Some of the people I didn't particularly like online have become quite good offline friends.

BrandonFG

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2012, 10:12:45 PM »
Interesting thoughts...I never found his phone call smug per se, just him having a little fun, knowing that he was about to become the first Millionaire. The way he threw his arms in the air in a "No, duh!" kinda way irked me a bit, but again, him making TV history kinda grants him carte blanche IMO. :-)

Now, you wanna talk smug? How about the guy who took a shot at the Million Dollar Question during the 10th anniversary week and lost? It took balls, and I give him credit for that, but man was he cocky!
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Fedya

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2012, 07:20:32 AM »
TV does wierd things to you, especially after editing. Years after my appearance on "Weakest Link", I still think I came off as an asshole.

You come off that way all the time.

(Just kidding.)
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2012, 03:31:11 AM »
Didn't know you were on Weakest Link.  Is there clippage somewhere?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Bryce L.

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2012, 04:50:28 AM »
Curious, Robinson or Gray series?

tvwxman

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2012, 09:56:35 AM »
Clippage? Of course. Somewhere.

I was on Anne's version - the smarmy weatherman held on all show, despite barbs from her all night. I even stopped the show to propose marriage to my girlfriend - a storyline that was covered the next day on "Access Hollywood". The funny part about that was - the producers came up to me after the show, and asked me if I was serious about the proposal? I said yes. The guy says "That's interesting, becuase when we edit down our shows, we develop a storyline - and with the contestants , we look for a good guy - and a bad guy....and tonight - you definitely were our bad guy!" Oy.

Oh, and how did I do? I made it to the end, choked on the final question about Egyptian History, and lost $50000.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"