Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: You'll never guess who I met yesterday...  (Read 8406 times)

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
You'll never guess who I met yesterday...
« on: March 12, 2012, 10:16:24 AM »
John Carpenter, American Millionaire's first jackpot winner.

For old times' sake:

And here he is now: http://i42.tinypic.com/108a8fs.jpg

Very friendly guy. He's doing great -- still lives in Hamden, CT, about 20 miles away from where I live, in West Haven.

Two former Millionaire contestants standing in the same spot...what are the odds?
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 01:29:17 PM »
If you ever go to the NAQT High School Nationals, you'd be surprised at the number of Jeopardy and Millionaire contestants that attend. I've moderated that tournament for the past couple years, and I've come across quite a few who still volunteer their time to the tournament. Last year I met Kevin Olmstead (the $2m jackpot winner) and David Madden from Jeopardy, and I'm sure there were less prominent contestants at the event who I didn't recognize.

Still, it's cool that you found John. Still can't believe it's been 12 and a half years since he won.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Bryce L.

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 07:43:38 PM »
If you ever go to the NAQT High School Nationals, you'd be surprised at the number of Jeopardy and Millionaire contestants that attend. I've moderated that tournament for the past couple years, and I've come across quite a few who still volunteer their time to the tournament. Last year I met Kevin Olmstead (the $2m jackpot winner) and David Madden from Jeopardy, and I'm sure there were less prominent contestants at the event who I didn't recognize.

Still, it's cool that you found John. Still can't believe it's been 12 and a half years since he won.

Out of curiosity, what city is the NAQT High School Nationals held in? If it's anywhere in Ohio, I may try to see it one year...

tvwxman

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 07:59:08 PM »
That's great. I was at the parade too. Never left the bar I was in.

I interviewed John Carpenter years ago when "Super Millionaire" was on. Nice guy. Nice family.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Bryce L.

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 09:12:46 PM »
That's great. I was at the parade too. Never left the bar I was in.

I interviewed John Carpenter years ago when "Super Millionaire" was on. Nice guy. Nice family.

OK, having actually met and interviewed Carpenter, would you say the criticism dumped on him at the time of his victory (mainly about him coming off as "smug" or "cocky") was unwarranted?

colonial

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 09:16:15 PM »

Out of curiosity, what city is the NAQT High School Nationals held in? If it's anywhere in Ohio, I may try to see it one year...

IIRC, NAQT HSNCT will be in downtown Atlanta for the second straight year this spring.  Had a chance to volunteer there last year -- well-run event, especially with the large amount of teams that attend (believe there were 200+ teams competing in 2011).

JD

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 11:41:18 PM »
IIRC, NAQT HSNCT

KFC/A&W, PDQ, RSTLNE, MMORPG to you too.
Bobby Peacock

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 01:37:19 AM »
IIRC, NAQT HSNCT will be in downtown Atlanta for the second straight year this spring.  Had a chance to volunteer there last year -- well-run event, especially with the large amount of teams that attend (believe there were 200+ teams competing in 2011).

JD
You are correct, sir. It will be in Atlanta again this year. Before then, it had been held in Rosemont, IL, but they were just calling it Chicago. Anybody from either area knows that Rosemont is definitely not Chicago. The logic was that there would be more stuff to do area (and commute to easily) if the kids were actually lodging in a major metro area, and downtown Chicago would have been pretty costly to book.

Definitely well run, and I can't argue with a paid hotel and flight. BTW colonial, if you happen to volunteer again this year, I'd recommend the local draft at the hotel bar- pretty good beer, I must say.

Needless to say, if any of you have an affiliation with high school quiz bowl (or would like to rekindle it), this is a great tournament to volunteer for.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

mmb5

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 12:04:29 PM »

Prior to KJ, I would wager that more game show money passed through my house than any other residence in the nation, just because of the quizbowl connection.  There was also a very heavy quizbowl run earlier in this season's Jeopardy.  It's becoming much more common.

--Mike

//Not to mention the wedding that had 9 former contestants as attendees (and since the wedding another one has appeared on the show).  I got to take the picture.  Yippee.
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 12:30:39 PM »
OK, having actually met and interviewed Carpenter, would you say the criticism dumped on him at the time of his victory (mainly about him coming off as "smug" or "cocky") was unwarranted?
I've never met the man, but let's face it, at the time of his victory, he came off as smug and cocky.  He may be (and probably is) a swell person in person.  Lots of people (including former TPIR hosts*) come across as wonderful people ON camera and are a different story off camera.  No reason it can't work the other way around.

[size="1"]*Not Bill, the other one.[/size]
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 12:31:08 PM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 12:59:15 PM »
I've never met the man, but let's face it, at the time of his victory, he came off as smug and cocky.  He may be (and probably is) a swell person in person.  Lots of people (including former TPIR hosts*) come across as wonderful people ON camera and are a different story off camera.  No reason it can't work the other way around.

What did Dennis James ever do to you?

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 01:38:36 PM »

Honestly, I always found Dennis James to be a bit of a jerk ON camera.
Don't get me started about Tom Kennedy, though.  What an ass.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Bryce L.

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2012, 01:53:30 PM »
I've never met the man, but let's face it, at the time of his victory, he came off as smug and cocky.

OK, I'll concede the point of how he appeared on-air. But to play devil's advocate, perhaps Carpenter got caught up in the moment of his success at that taping, and perhaps he didn't realize how he was presenting himself, and didn't intend to be that way.

Bryce L.

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2012, 01:55:15 PM »

Honestly, I always found Dennis James to be a bit of a jerk ON camera.
Don't get me started about Tom Kennedy, though.  What an ass.

Let me guess, Kennedy is right up there with Barker?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2012, 01:58:35 PM »
OK, I'll concede the point of how he appeared on-air. But to play devil's advocate, perhaps Carpenter got caught up in the moment of his success at that taping, and perhaps he didn't realize how he was presenting himself, and didn't intend to be that way.
There's really no way to "accidentally" burn your unneeded PAF to call your dad and tell him you were gonna win.

Let me guess, Kennedy is right up there with Barker?
Dude.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe