Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Alex Trebek's Successor  (Read 36021 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Alex Trebek's Successor
« Reply #75 on: February 23, 2012, 10:14:50 PM »
Mea culpa. Forgot that there are two seasons of Survivor yearly. Still surprising to me that he's making less than Alex.
Why? Alex presents about 100 hours of television per year. (200 shows, right?) Probst presents something like 36 when you work in finales and reunion shows.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 10:15:16 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
Alex Trebek's Successor
« Reply #76 on: February 23, 2012, 10:30:28 PM »
Alex presents about 100 hours of television per year. (200 shows, right?)
230 shows, plus on-location stuff and promo material.  And he's been doing it for longer.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 10:30:56 PM by Joe Mello »
This signature is currently under construction.

Kevin Prather

Alex Trebek's Successor
« Reply #77 on: February 23, 2012, 10:52:24 PM »
Mea culpa. Forgot that there are two seasons of Survivor yearly. Still surprising to me that he's making less than Alex.
Why? Alex presents about 100 hours of television per year. (200 shows, right?) Probst presents something like 36 when you work in finales and reunion shows.
I suppose that's a fair point. I just figured Probst would be making more considering he's hosting a network's flagship primetime program. Compare to the judges on American Idol, for example.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
Alex Trebek's Successor
« Reply #78 on: February 23, 2012, 11:15:23 PM »
I suppose that's a fair point. I just figured Probst would be making more considering he's hosting a network's flagship primetime program. Compare to the judges on American Idol, for example.
FWIW, Probst does make more per episode than Trebek.  Poor Alex only gets a little more than $700 for each clue he reads.
This signature is currently under construction.

Matt Ottinger

Alex Trebek's Successor
« Reply #79 on: February 24, 2012, 09:04:02 AM »
I just figured Probst would be making more considering he's hosting a network's flagship primetime program. Compare to the judges on American Idol, for example.
For the record, while the show still does well, it's at best a top-twenty show these days, not nearly the network's flagship program (sadly, that would probably be NCIS) and not remotely comparable to the consistently top-rated American Idol.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Kevin Prather

Alex Trebek's Successor
« Reply #80 on: February 24, 2012, 06:15:57 PM »
I just figured Probst would be making more considering he's hosting a network's flagship primetime program. Compare to the judges on American Idol, for example.
For the record, ... it's at best a top-twenty show these days, not nearly the network's flagship program (sadly, that would probably be NCIS)
No kidding? Shows how well I've been paying attention to network TV lately.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Alex Trebek's Successor
« Reply #81 on: February 24, 2012, 06:57:10 PM »
For the record, ... it's at best a top-twenty show these days, not nearly the network's flagship program (sadly, that would probably be NCIS)

Lately? Hell, CSI over took Survivor years ago. You're in the stone ages, dude. ;)
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

MikeK

• Martha!
Alex Trebek's Successor
« Reply #82 on: February 24, 2012, 09:25:25 PM »

Lately? Hell, CSI over took Survivor years ago. You're in the stone ages, dude. ;)
Please remember that young Kevin's bedtime is before Survivor.

Oh, hi Kev. :-)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 11:17:30 PM by MikeK »

Kevin Prather

Alex Trebek's Successor
« Reply #83 on: February 24, 2012, 10:47:52 PM »
Screw both of you. Especially you, Mike. :P
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 10:48:17 PM by Kevin Prather »

wdm1219inpenna

Alex Trebek's Successor
« Reply #84 on: March 17, 2012, 02:47:03 AM »
Having watched the original "Jeopardy!" during the early 1970s on NBC, I still consider Alex the "new" host of the show, as I do Pat Sajak on Wheel, even though he's been hosting since 1981!!!  Alex definitely is synonymous with Jeopardy!, and I remember when it first came back in 1984, many fans of the old Jeopardy! had to get used to this change, but they did.  I think the fact that the old Jeopardy hadn't aired since 1979 on NBC, and there was a 5 year "hiatus" for the game helped somewhat.  We talk of Price is Right being in its 40th season, Jeopardy has been on TV now for 43 of the past 48 years on TV, only having a hiatus from 1979-1984.

One person who was not mentioned as a possible successor to Alex is Bryant Gumbel, the former Today show host.  He kind of reminds me a bit of Trebek in some ways.  He has that air of "superiority" about him while at the same time it seems Bryant might be able to "kid" with a Jeopardy contestant.  

I think finding a successor for Alex could prove far more difficult than for Pat Sajak.  Comparatively speaking, the Wheel of Fortune host has a far easier time of it.  Trebek & Fleming both became master craftsmen in the fine art of hosting Jeopardy!  So many pronunciations, and a lot of talking, and rapid fire pace type questions.  They made it almost look effortless, but I know it is anything but that!

I think while on the subject, there's also the thought of finding a successor for Johnny Gilbert.  He sounds as fresh as ever to me, but he is 87 years young now.  I would suspect if and when Alex eventually steps down, and assuming Johnny is still able to announce, that they might step down together.  Any ideas about who could succeed Johnny?  At best the show will find successors, not replacements...

catkins522

Alex Trebek's Successor
« Reply #85 on: March 17, 2012, 03:40:23 AM »
I think the fact that the old Jeopardy hadn't aired since 1979 on NBC, and there was a 5 year "hiatus" for the game helped somewhat.  We talk of Price is Right being in its 40th season, Jeopardy has been on TV now for 43 of the past 48 years on TV, only having a hiatus from 1979-1984.

I do not agree with TPiR vs J!.  Yes, TPiR is doing the 40th season, but that is the CBS version.  Another version of TPiR starring Bill Cullen did have 9 seasons on NBC and ABC (1956-65) and had a hiatus from 1966-72.  So, it is been on 51 of 57 years on tv.  If TPiR did retire, J! will need 9 seasons to catch up.

Charles Atkins
-----------

Bigger and better....in HD!!!!

Jimmy Owen

Alex Trebek's Successor
« Reply #86 on: March 17, 2012, 06:59:19 AM »
Bryant Gumbel's time has passed.  He's too old.  I think it will be someone from the world of news, such as an Anderson Cooper or sports, like a John Tesh or Jim Nantz.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 07:01:55 AM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

TimK2003

Alex Trebek's Successor
« Reply #87 on: March 17, 2012, 08:20:13 AM »
Bryant Gumbel's time has passed.  He's too old.  I think it will be someone from the world of news, such as an Anderson Cooper or sports, like a John Tesh or Jim Nantz.

Agrees on Bryant Gumbel being a little past the game show prime.  Greg Gumbel, on the other hand....

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
Alex Trebek's Successor
« Reply #88 on: March 17, 2012, 11:10:52 AM »
Any ideas about who could succeed Johnny?  At best the show will find successors, not replacements...

Randy West.
Bobby Peacock

Bob Zager

Alex Trebek's Successor
« Reply #89 on: March 17, 2012, 11:12:16 AM »
I think the fact that the old Jeopardy hadn't aired since 1979 on NBC, and there was a 5 year "hiatus" for the game helped somewhat.  We talk of Price is Right being in its 40th season, Jeopardy has been on TV now for 43 of the past 48 years on TV, only having a hiatus from 1979-1984.

I do not agree with TPiR vs J!.  Yes, TPiR is doing the 40th season, but that is the CBS version.  Another version of TPiR starring Bill Cullen did have 9 seasons on NBC and ABC (1956-65) and had a hiatus from 1966-72.  So, it is been on 51 of 57 years on tv.  If TPiR did retire, J! will need 9 seasons to catch up.

Charles Atkins

Actually J! would need more than nine seasons to catch up!  The original series ran from 1964-1975 (just a few months shy of a full ten years), and was revived in October 1978 until March 1979 (for five months)!

Combining this with the current series run, it adds up to about 37 out of the last 48 years!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 11:13:42 AM by Bob Zager »