Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Cronin interview up  (Read 5812 times)

Timsterino

Cronin interview up
« on: December 22, 2003, 01:12:59 PM »
http://www.tvgameshows.net/cronindec.htm

He discusses the upcoming changes in the network and more.

Tim

whampyl03

Cronin interview up
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2003, 09:04:20 PM »
A good interview from the professor.

Now for the comment, It is settling to know that there will be some remains of the traditional game show on GSN, however; Pardon me if I'm repeating what may have been said before, and I understand it’s too late to ask this question, and I now also understand that it’s just plain redundant to ask this question now, but with the recent failure of GSNVG's, and the failure of Naturally Stoned, why is it that GSN is making another move like this?  The whole game show thing was working very well in August 2002 (Didn't they turn there first profit around then?); Why change the winning formula?

(BTW: If you're wondering what is the basis of all of my GSN related "Chicken Littling " A.K.A. "The GSN Apocalypse" was, read the statement above.  Pardon me for being a whiner, but I thought that the "Chicken Littling" I did was justified; If you didn't, I’m sorry for the annoyance.)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2003, 09:07:38 PM by whampyl03 »

BrandonFG

Cronin interview up
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2003, 11:30:28 PM »
[quote name=\'whampyl03\' date=\'Dec 22 2003, 09:04 PM\'] A good interview from the professor.

Now for the comment, It is settling to know that there will be some remains of the traditional game show on GSN, however; Pardon me if I'm repeating what may have been said before, and I understand it’s too late to ask this question, and I now also understand that it’s just plain redundant to ask this question now, but with the recent failure of GSNVG's, and the failure of Naturally Stoned, why is it that GSN is making another move like this?  The whole game show thing was working very well in August 2002 (Didn't they turn there first profit around then?); Why change the winning formula?

(BTW: If you're wondering what is the basis of all of my GSN related "Chicken Littling " A.K.A. "The GSN Apocalypse" was, read the statement above.  Pardon me for being a whiner, but I thought that the "Chicken Littling" I did was justified; If you didn't, I’m sorry for the annoyance.) [/quote]

We’re just changing our philosophy to make this a place where people can come for games, period. We think any type of programming which is a contest or a competition is worthy of considering, not just what the audience may have always thought of as a traditional game show

They're simply looking for something new for the network. Apparently, a strict schedule of game shows is getting stale, so change is needed.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Cronin interview up
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2003, 01:18:14 AM »
[quote name=\'Timsterino\' date=\'Dec 22 2003, 01:12 PM\'] http://www.tvgameshows.net/cronindec.htm

He discusses the upcoming changes in the network and more.

Tim [/quote]
I found it odd that Cronin called Evan the "ideal host".  I could care less about Joke Millionaire...are they still married?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2003, 01:20:08 AM by Dsmith »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Ian Wallis

Cronin interview up
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2003, 09:06:01 AM »
They're simply looking for something new for the network. Apparently, a strict schedule of game shows is getting stale, so change is needed.

If it were up to me I'd resurrect the "Club AM" and "Prime Games" formulas.  During those times, I found GSN to be a warm, inviting place.  It was nice to hear game show discussion from people in the business, and the occasional phone call from fans.  

I found it getting a bit stale once those segments were cut from GSN.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

aaron sica

Cronin interview up
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2003, 10:38:45 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Dec 23 2003, 09:06 AM\'] If it were up to me I'd resurrect the "Club AM" and "Prime Games" formulas.  During those times, I found GSN to be a warm, inviting place.  It was nice to hear game show discussion from people in the business, and the occasional phone call from fans. 

I found it getting a bit stale once those segments were cut from GSN. [/quote]
Yesterday, I was thinking along these same lines, actually...

I wouldn't be surprised if the new channel groups some of its shows together in blocks (i.e. "Breakfast/Lunch/Morning/Afternoon with the Stars", all celebity themed shows...like they did previously)

Call me an optimist, a fool, whatever you like, but I'm actually getting excited about the new channel...I honestly think we will more of a chance to get to see some stuff from the vaults that hasn't seen the light of day in years during the daytime hours/overnight.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2003, 10:58:32 AM by aaron sica »

Jay Temple

Cronin interview up
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2003, 11:33:18 AM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Dec 23 2003, 12:18 AM\'] I found it odd that Cronin called Evan the "ideal host".  I could care less about Joke Millionaire...are they still married? [/quote]
 They never were.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

inturnaround

Cronin interview up
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2003, 01:02:53 PM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Dec 23 2003, 01:18 AM\'] I found it odd that Cronin called Evan the "ideal host".  I could care less about Joke Millionaire...are they still married?

[/quote]
 I don't find it odd at all. He's handsome, and he's got some sort of name recognition. Most reality show hosts have no impact on the game whatsoever. Case in point: Joe Millionaire host Alex McLeod (late of "Trading Spaces").

As for the point made earlier in this thread about the failure of Naturally Stoned and GSN's video game block, I don't think that means that GSN (Or whatever they decide to call themselves) should abandon the ideas or that they were bad ideas. I think it just meant that they needed to become the place for people who wanted to see that type of programming to come (and believe me, with video games outselling Hollywood movies, there are plenty of gamers who want to watch shows about it). Had it been on in prime time or more often, I think the game show block would have taken off.

As for Naturally Stoned...sure it was a reality series, but it was a reality series with a very limited scope and a very limited built in audience. How many other reality shows do you know of that star middle aged men? And a middle aged game show host for that matter? It just wasn't compelling to a general audience and that wasn't the fault of the genre, it was the fault of the people who thought it might have been bigger than it was. Because, let's be honest, if you didn't watch Lingo, why would you watch NS? And even if you did watch Lingo, you might not be that interested in the life if its host or what brand of cottage cheese he desires.
Joe Coughlin     
Human

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Cronin interview up
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2003, 08:29:40 PM »
Somebody tell the nutty Perf that there is no such word as "moreso":

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=moreso

There is, however, such a word as "bonehead", as in "bonehead English":

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=bonehead
« Last Edit: December 24, 2003, 08:32:40 PM by chris319 »

PeterMarshallFan

Cronin interview up
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2003, 08:37:26 PM »
I dunno---Evan Marriott has the personality of a piece of wood, so I doubt he'll do all that great. Name recognition can only take a show so far.....witness Bill Cosby's version of You Bet Your Life. He's a well known personality, but that didn't save the show from a short run.

Anyhoo, 'tis would be a nice thing if all the primetime shuffling was accompanied by some vault stuff in the mornings that hasn't been seen in a while [regular running of Narz BTC, for example]

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
Cronin interview up
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2003, 09:35:34 AM »
[quote name=\'inturnaround\' date=\'Dec 23 2003, 01:02 PM\'] As for Naturally Stoned...sure it was a reality series, but it was a reality series with a very limited scope and a very limited built in audience. How many other reality shows do you know of that star middle aged men? And a middle aged game show host for that matter? It just wasn't compelling to a general audience and that wasn't the fault of the genre, it was the fault of the people who thought it might have been bigger than it was. [/quote]
Perhaps they should have seen the writing on the wall when ESPN and the NBA trotted out "Bill Walton's Long, Strange Trip" earlier in '03. Walton undeniably has a larger built-in fan base than Woolery (even subtracting all the people who actively hate him), but the show got about three viewers (admittedly, I was one) and ESPN gave up on it a lot more quickly than GSN did on Chuck's show.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2003, 09:36:16 AM by ChrisLambert! »
@lambertman