Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dear Fremantle  (Read 2469 times)

BrandonFG

Dear Fremantle
« on: December 08, 2003, 01:46:05 AM »
Fremantle,

Please, tell your audience to calm down. I don't need loud, FOX-style cheers just because Richard has "decided" to double/triple the point values. I also don't need loud, FOX-style cheers every time $20,000 is mentioned, or should I say, yelled.

Thank you,
18-34 demographic member
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

zachhoran

Dear Fremantle
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2003, 09:09:45 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Dec 8 2003, 01:46 AM\'] Fremantle,

Please, tell your audience to calm down. I don't need loud, FOX-style cheers just because Richard has "decided" to double/triple the point values. I also don't need loud, FOX-style cheers every time $20,000 is mentioned, or should I say, yelled.

Thank you,
18-34 demographic member [/quote]
 Randy W. or someone would know this, but is Feud a victim of audience sweetening. They do tape at NBC Burbank as I recall, which was home to the legendary Mother McKenzie.

BrandonFG

Dear Fremantle
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2003, 09:38:52 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Dec 8 2003, 09:09 AM\']Randy W. or someone would know this, but is Feud a victim of audience sweetening. They do tape at NBC Burbank as I recall, which was home to the legendary Mother McKenzie.[/quote]
I'm sure the sweetening might be there at times, but the cheers I'm talking about sound like they're coming from the actual audience. It sounds a bit too "live" for it to be sweetened.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Dear Fremantle
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2003, 12:36:50 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Dec 8 2003, 09:09 AM\'] [quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Dec 8 2003, 01:46 AM\'] Fremantle,

Thank you,
18-34 demographic member [/quote]
Randy W. or someone would know this, but is Feud a victim of audience sweetening. They do tape at NBC Burbank as I recall, which was home to the legendary Mother McKenzie. [/quote]
 I was told that they moved to the Tribune studios.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

uncamark

Dear Fremantle
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2003, 12:41:28 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Dec 8 2003, 09:38 AM\'][quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Dec 8 2003, 09:09 AM\']Randy W. or someone would know this, but is Feud a victim of audience sweetening. They do tape at NBC Burbank as I recall, which was home to the legendary Mother McKenzie.[/quote]
I'm sure the sweetening might be there at times, but the cheers I'm talking about sound like they're coming from the actual audience. It sounds a bit too "live" for it to be sweetened.[/quote]
They're currently taping at KTLA.

And even at NBC, it didn't sound like Mother MacKenzie at all.  This current incarnation of "Feud" has never used sweetening extensively.

Besides, nowadays it would be more like Mother E-Mulator or Mother Yamaha or whatever sampling keyboard they use.

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
Dear Fremantle
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2003, 10:01:23 PM »
Burton instructs the audience to cheer every time they hear Richard mention $20,000. Burton is very good at keeping the Feud audience members in line, so they do what he says.

May I add to your "letter": Please tell Richard that it would help if he read the question a couple more times per round (except when he warns everyone that he can't, of course). Conversely, please tell Richard that he doesn't need to explain that the family has two strikes and if that answer isn't up there the other family will get a chance to steal, for every single answer when a family gets on a streak of right answers after their second strike.

And this came to my mind: While watching Supermarket Sweep, does anybody else get frustrated that the contestants have to applaud so often, especially during the sweep instructions?

--
Scott Robinson

chuckwooleryfan

Dear Fremantle
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2003, 11:13:32 AM »
What's wrong with having too much enthusiasm for a game show? The Price is Right audience certainly knows how to cheer. :-)

BrandonFG

Dear Fremantle
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2003, 12:23:09 PM »
[quote name=\'chuckwooleryfan\' date=\'Dec 10 2003, 11:13 AM\'] What's wrong with having too much enthusiasm for a game show? The Price is Right audience certainly knows how to cheer. :-) [/quote]
 I don't mind an enthisiastic audience. However, some shows just don't need it. Does an audience really need to be so enthusiastic just because the point values are now doubled or tripled? There are some shows where a rowdy audience seems out of place. I think Feud is one of those shows.

uncamark

Dear Fremantle
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2003, 02:36:53 PM »
[quote name=\'MSTieScott\' date=\'Dec 9 2003, 10:01 PM\']And this came to my mind: While watching Supermarket Sweep, does anybody else get frustrated that the contestants have to applaud so often, especially during the sweep instructions?[/quote]
A GSC running gag:  "Now it's time for the Round Robin game!"  [clap clap clap]

I have the feeling the contestants were told to do it to try to keep the energy up.  Remember, there's no audience, the sweetening is added in post-production and the only other people in the room besides Ruprecht are a few PAs and interns who could make noise and crotchety technicians and stagehands who are wishing that Andy Williams was still doing variety shows for NBC.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Dear Fremantle
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2003, 05:37:16 PM »
What's wrong with having too much enthusiasm for a game show?

LOL!!! Sit down and eat a 5 lb. box of See's candy and tell me what's wrong with too much candy!