Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Academic Challenge returns to Cleveland  (Read 3129 times)

MikeK

• Martha!
Academic Challenge returns to Cleveland
« on: December 06, 2003, 04:17:06 PM »
After a 4+ year hiatus, Academic Challenge (AKA It's Academic in most areas) is returning to WEWS, Cleveland's ABC affiliate, starting December 13.  The show will air at 6:30 PM on Saturday nights, AC's time slot for many years, from at least the late 70s through about 1996.  Here's WEWS' Academic Challenge site at newsnet5.com.

On a personal note, my alma mater's playing on the 27th of December.  Go Spartans!

Don Howard

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2003, 04:21:58 PM »
That's a show which never should have gone off the air. Glad it's back. Adam Shapiro should do a good job of filling Don Webster's shoes. I wonder if Paul King will announce.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2003, 04:22:20 PM by Don Howard »

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2003, 04:49:31 PM »
One of the reasons it went off the air was a lack of sponsorship, if I recall correctly.  (From the 70s through at least the mid-90s, IA/AC was sponsored by The Illuminating Company/Ohio Edison and East Ohio Gas.)  I remember WVIZ, Cleveland's PBS station, aired It's Academic a day after the WEWS broadcast in the show's final season or 2.

While doing my usual surfing around the net a few mins. ago, I came across this an article from today's Cleveland Plain Dealer about Academic Challenge's return.

Michael Brandenburg

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2003, 12:06:12 AM »
Interesting that Don Webster is mentioned both here and in the Cleveland Plain Dealer article.  He had also either hosted or co-hosted the original half-hour Ohio Lottery's TV game shows when they first started in 1975.

They were a lot different from the Ohio Lottery's current Cash Explosion Double Play show.  There were no "instant tickets" in those days and no picking of your own numbers as with the lottery's current "Pick 3/Pick 4/Buckeye 5/Super Lotto" games.  The tickets were pre-printed and you had to take whatever numbers you got on them.

The lottery's first TV game show was called Buckeye 300, and getting on it was a little complicated: You bought tickets that had five three-digit numbers printed on them as "Your Numbers" (three of which would appear in blue boxes on the ticket and two in green boxes) and on the "Drawing Date" that was printed on the ticket, three three-digit numbers would be drawn -- a "Single Number" (such as "684") and two more that would be paired as the "Double Numbers" (such as "987-002").  You won $20 and an entry in the game's million-dollar drawing if the "Single Number" matched any of the five numbers on your ticket, but it was the "Double Number" that got you on the show.

You had to match both of those numbers to get on the show, and both of the matched numbers also had to be in the green boxes, though they could be in either order.  (Getting both of the "Double Numbers" in blue boxes won you a consolation prize of $1,000, and getting one of the "Double Numbers" in a blue box and the other one in a green box won you a consolation prize of $500.  However, you won nothing if you matched only one of the "Double Numbers.")  Once on the show, though, you were guaranteed at least $15,000, and the weekly winner got a whopping $300,000 (though there were no "returning champions" as there are now on Cash Explosion Double Play).

Later on, they went to a ticket game with simpler qualification requirements called Buckeye 1000 and the top prize was changed to $1,000 a month for life, with $400,000 guaranteed.  Then that one was later succeded by one called Pot O' Gold ($250,000 weekly top prize), and then they had a generic half-hour Ohio Lottery Show connected with their "Weekly 50¢ Game" (still with pre-printed tickets) for a while before production of this show ended in 1979.  However, Don Webster did continue to draw the numbers on the "one-minute" Ohio Lottery drawing shows for a while longer into the early 1980s

Michael Brandenburg
   (under the watchful eyes of a representative from the state auditor's office, of course!)

inturnaround

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2003, 02:10:29 AM »
Adding to the topic of local high school quiz shows, I saw one today called "Brain Game".

I saw it on a High Definition channel called inHD on Comcast cable and it is indeed broadcast in High Def. It's from WRAL out of Raleigh-Durham, but it's being shown across the country to those places that have inHD and a HDTV.

What other game shows are broadcast in HD?
Joe Coughlin     
Human

Don Howard

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2003, 02:25:06 AM »
Don Webster did continue to draw the numbers on the "one-minute" Ohio Lottery drawing shows for a while longer into the early 1980s

1984, to be specific, Michael. He left that and his co-hosting chores with
Wilma Smith on Live On Five for a management position at TV-5.
Townsend Coleman, from WLTF-FM, briefly replaced him and then Paul Wilcox
from Polka Varieties took over. I remember one Saturday night when
Paul drew one Lotto number yet announced another. Shortly thereafter, Bob Becker, news director at the time at 3WE Radio, hosted the first three days of
the week while Karen Harris (who's still there) announced on the other three.
When Bob took a TV reporting job at a rival station (WKYC-TV 3), Sam Varr
took over. Sam died a few years later and then Bob came back--he'd left TV-3
by this time.

TimK2003

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2003, 07:46:39 AM »
[quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' date=\'Dec 6 2003, 04:17 PM\'] After a 4+ year hiatus, Academic Challenge (AKA It's Academic in most areas) is returning to WEWS, Cleveland's ABC affiliate, starting December 13.  The show will air at 6:30 PM on Saturday nights, AC's time slot for many years, from at least the late 70s through about 1996.

[/quote]
 Cleveland Magazine also did an article on Academic challenge as well.  Here are some of the interesting sidenotes that the article presented:

•  The AC concept was created by Altman Productions out of the Washington DC area.  At it's peak the show & format was seen in 15 different markets, mostly in the eastern half of the USA.  Currently, it's seen in about 6 markets -- mostly in the Mid-Atlantic region, Pittsburgh, and now Cleveland again.

•  All questions and formatics are created by Altman Prods., and are sent to the hosts appx. 2-weeks before the next batch of shows are to air.  

•  The Cleveland market has the honor of airing AC the longest, starting in 1965 or 66 and is named as the longest running educational quiz/show in TV history.

•  Adam Shapiro will be the fifth host of Cleveland's AC.   The original host's name escapes me, but Don Webster emceed most of the years, with Steve Wolford and Lou Maglio also hosting a few seasons.  (Oddly enough when Lou was hosting, there were so many eps already in the can, he went over to rival WJW-TV8 and was a news anchor for several months while his shows were still airing on WEWS.)

•  One of the more noted contestants on AC in Cleveland was a young George Stephanopoulis, now a host of ABC's This Week.

For those in the Cleveland area, there will be a program airing Sunday 12/7 doing a retrospect on AC Cleveland at 6:30PM.

Don Howard

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2003, 01:41:35 PM »
• The Cleveland market has the honor of airing AC the longest, starting in 1965 or 66 and is named as the longest running educational quiz/show in TV history.

I thought the Washington DC version hosted by Mac McGarry since its inception
in 1961 through the present held this record.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2003, 02:00:52 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Dec 7 2003, 01:41 PM\']
• The Cleveland market has the honor of airing AC the longest, starting in 1965 or 66 and is named as the longest running educational quiz/show in TV history.

I thought the Washington DC version hosted by Mac McGarry since its inception
in 1961 through the present held this record. [/quote]
 This may be splitting hairs, but the Washington version is titled "It's Academic."  It's from the same production co, though.  The record setting claim makes good copy.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Gus

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2003, 10:42:31 PM »
If anyone from NE Ohio cares, I'll probably be on to represent Cloverleaf HS sometime later in the season. Our advisor hasn't gotten the call yet, but he knows that there'll be 8 weeks notice, so we'll probably tape in February or March and air sometime in May.

uncamark

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2003, 01:05:47 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' date=\'Dec 7 2003, 07:46 AM\']•  The AC concept was created by Altman Productions out of the Washington DC area.  At it's peak the show & format was seen in 15 different markets, mostly in the eastern half of the USA.  Currently, it's seen in about 6 markets -- mostly in the Mid-Atlantic region, Pittsburgh, and now Cleveland again.[/quote]
It would be wonderful to see "It's Academic/Academic Challenge" in Chicago again.  In the 60s and 70s it was on WMAQ, hosted by Ed Grennan, a superlative quizmaster, and later on WBBM, hosted by John Coughlin, another great veteran broadcaster and the station's weatherman, who would lose his job to quirkier or younger people and come back strong every time after they bombed out.

Earlier this year while in Washington, I had the good fortune of seeing the DC version with Mac McGarry at the helm--and a spelling bee rebroadcast on a government access channel, where he was reading the words in front of the library set that's used for "It's Academic."  What a class guy.

In fact, it's funny that while the rest of the set is flashier than sets used to be, McGarry's still standing in front of the library set.  Did WRC try to change that and the viewers complain?