Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Blockbusters" Rules  (Read 5781 times)

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
"Blockbusters" Rules
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2011, 06:20:24 PM »
Does that mean that both of them are pimp, or that they should both be pimped out. I mean, I'm sure Betty can still go, but Matt is getting on in years..
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

Matt Ottinger

"Blockbusters" Rules
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2011, 06:44:25 PM »
Does that mean that both of them are pimp, or that they should both be pimped out. I mean, I'm sure Betty can still go, but Matt is getting on in years..
Banned.  All of you.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
"Blockbusters" Rules
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2011, 10:56:02 AM »
Banned.  All of you.
We love you too, Matt.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

gamed121683

"Blockbusters" Rules
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2011, 07:41:14 PM »
Well, as the original poster...I did drop a line to Mr. Ottinger. Hopefully, I'll be hearing from him soon. Thanks again for all of your help!

Matt Ottinger

"Blockbusters" Rules
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2011, 11:50:05 AM »
If the original poster will send me a personal message or an e-mail to ottinger@acd.net, I'll be happy to scan the rules for him when I get home tonight.
Well, THIS is embarrassing...

I just checked my copy of Blockbusters, and I don't seem to have the rules for it.  I'm a little confused as well.  Most MB games of that era put the rules inside the cover, and this one doesn't.  So, I figured, the rules must be in the booklet of A-Z (actually, A-W) questions.  Not there either.  I know I got my copy second-hand, and I guess I never thought to look for the rules because, after all, it's Blockbusters, and I already knew the rules.

I'd still like the original poster to get a copy, and now, hey, I'D like a copy myself.  So NOW who can help?

Jimmy Owen

"Blockbusters" Rules
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2011, 12:04:15 PM »
I bought one new in 1982, so I might have what you're looking for.  Not at home right now, but will check.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
"Blockbusters" Rules
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2011, 12:52:04 PM »
Most MB games of that era put the rules inside the cover, and this one doesn't.
Nope, it was on a page (like, a folded 8.5 x 11 page in booklet form) separate from the question booklet, and it was one of the first MB games to go to that format. Green text, if I remember correctly.

The good news is that I probably still have mine. (I, on the other hand, lost the booklet of questions almost immediately after I got it.) The bad news is that if I do still have it it's in the game closet at my folks' house in California where I can't get to it.

I know I got my copy second-hand, and I guess I never thought to look for the rules because, after all, it's Blockbusters, and I already knew the rules.
Aw, you're missing out on such gems as "slap the table to buzz in" and "lay the egg timer on its side while you look up the next question for the Gold Run." There's some fast-paced action!

/how do I remember this shiat?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

"Blockbusters" Rules
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2011, 01:10:30 PM »
Aw, you're missing out on such gems as "slap the table to buzz in" and "lay the egg timer on its side while you look up the next question for the Gold Run." There's some fast-paced action!
I'm actually somewhat impressed that they accounted for that.  When I wrote out the details of the game on the GSHGHP, I specifically said that the Gold Run would be hard to moderate because you'd constantly be thumbing through the book to find the next letter.  It was hard enough for Bill on the show with the specific cards laid out in front of him, especially when a player made a weird detour.

aaron sica

"Blockbusters" Rules
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2011, 05:37:59 PM »
and "lay the egg timer on its side while you look up the next question for the Gold Run."

Wow, the writer of those directions didn't think much of Bill Cullen....:P

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
"Blockbusters" Rules
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2011, 11:30:42 PM »
A "demented version of tic-tac-toe"? No, Blockbusters was based on the game Hex:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hex_%28board_game%29

The home game shows how I think we should have implemented the board: a series of red and white hexagonal tiles which would cover up the letters and which would be placed in position by a lovely model. Instead they went with a battery of Kodak Carousel projectors.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 11:31:24 PM by chris319 »

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
"Blockbusters" Rules
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2011, 11:48:33 PM »
So here's something. I went to boardgamegeek.com to see if someone had scanned in the rules. They weren't there, which wasn't a surprise. What was a surprise, was that the thumbnail picture was not that of the board game, but the logo for the 1987 TV show.
Travis L. Eberle