Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: FIll in the Blank Question  (Read 6133 times)

JayC

FIll in the Blank Question
« on: December 06, 2003, 02:19:21 PM »
Has the Fill in the Blank category been retired?  I don't remember seeing it being used all season.  Have any categories ever been retired?

Kevin Prather

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2003, 02:21:21 PM »
Fill in the Blank hasn't been used in ages. I don't even remember them using that category with the new puzzle board, but I could be wrong there.

zachhoran

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2003, 02:22:52 PM »
[quote name=\'JayC\' date=\'Dec 6 2003, 02:19 PM\'] Has the Fill in the Blank category been retired?  I don't remember seeing it being used all season.  Have any categories ever been retired? [/quote]
Fill in the Blank I have not seen in a while, so I'll guess that is gone. Fill in the NUmber, however, is still played. As far as retired categories, Foreign Word/Foreign Phrase, Slang, and Megaword have been retired. Megaword was a single word puzzle, and the contestant then had to say the word in a plausible enough sentence to win extra money. Megaword is considered by some to be among the worst of many gimmicks WOF has tried in the last 10 years.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2003, 02:54:20 PM by zachhoran »

Kevin Prather

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2003, 02:34:21 PM »
What about the category "Long Words"? I only remember this being played once, when Pat and Vanna were contestants, and Alex Trebek hosted. The puzzle was "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious".

zachhoran

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2003, 02:39:31 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Dec 6 2003, 02:34 PM\'] What about the category "Long Words"? I only remember this being played once, when Pat and Vanna were contestants, and Alex Trebek hosted. The puzzle was "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious". [/quote]
 Really Long Word was the category IIRC. That was on 4/1/97, about two years after Megaword was retired

Steve McClellan

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2003, 02:44:54 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Dec 6 2003, 11:39 AM\'][quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Dec 6 2003, 02:34 PM\'] What about the category "Long Words"? I only remember this being played once, when Pat and Vanna were contestants, and Alex Trebek hosted. The puzzle was "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious". [/quote]
Really Long Word was the category IIRC. That was on 4/1/97, about two years after Megaword was retired[/quote]
I want to think it was "Really Long Title," actually.

BrandonFG

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2003, 02:49:33 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Dec 6 2003, 02:22 PM\'] Fill in the Blank, the category where a contestant wins an extra $3000 by guessing the word that fits the other three or four words in the puzzle, I have not seen in a while, so I'll guess that is gone. Fill in the NUmber, where the $3K bonus is earned by filling in the number that goes in the # mark(s) correctly, is still played. As far as retired categories, Foreign Word/Foreign Phrase, Slang, and Megaword have been retired. Megaword was a single word puzzle, and the contestant then had to say the word in a plausible enough sentence to win extra money. [/quote]
Why was it necessary for you to spell out how the category worked? I think we all know what Fill in the Blank was.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2003, 02:49:47 PM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2003, 03:08:34 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Dec 6 2003, 12:49 PM\'] Why was it necessary for you to spell out how the category worked? I think we all know what Fill in the Blank was. [/quote]
 Because he wanted to be sure that we fully understand the scope of his knowledge, of course.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Kevin Prather

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2003, 04:14:11 PM »
He probably just wanted to make sure that he or JayC didn't have FITB and FIT# mixed up.

JayC

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2003, 07:51:43 PM »
Darn, Fill in the Blank was my fav. catagory.  RIP Fill in the Blank.  I know, it's weird to love a catagory, but ...  I think I remember Fill in the Number popping up once or twice this season, that Fill in the Blank wannabe!  Hopefully they'll being FitB back, it's a fun catagory.

zachhoran

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2003, 07:53:21 PM »
[quote name=\'JayC\' date=\'Dec 6 2003, 07:51 PM\'] Darn, Fill in the Blank was my fav. catagory.  RIP Fill in the Blank.  I know, it's weird to love a catagory, but ...  I think I remember Fill in the Number popping up once or twice this season, that Fill in the Blank wannabe!  Hopefully they'll being FitB back, it's a fun catagory. [/quote]
 They weren't really getting a lot of the people to fill in the blank correctly, which may be why the category was retired. Maybe if they did a multiple choice like one of the computer games did.....

JayC

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2003, 07:54:20 PM »
BTW, does anyone know what catagory has been the most used in WoF history?  My guess would be thing or phrase.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2003, 08:14:30 PM »
Either Thing(s), Place(s), Person/People, or /phrase.

uncamark

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2003, 01:12:44 PM »
[quote name=\'JayC\' date=\'Dec 6 2003, 07:54 PM\']BTW, does anyone know what catagory has been the most used in WoF history?  My guess would be thing or phrase.[/quote]
The four originals:

Person/People
Fictional Character(s)
Place(s)
Thing(s)

Even Phrase and Quotation didn't come along into a few years into the run--and Person/People originally was *always* a proper name.

tommycharles

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2003, 02:08:31 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Dec 8 2003, 01:12 PM\']
The four originals:

Person/People
Fictional Character(s)
Place(s)
Thing(s)

Even Phrase and Quotation didn't come along into a few years into the run--and Person/People originally was *always* a proper name. [/quote]
 So that's why Sajak would remind players that person doesn't necessarily mean proper name - because it used to be that way.

Did the US version of WoF ever use the "red letter" gimmick?