Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amy Davis now on board at GSN  (Read 4081 times)

The Ol' Guy

Amy Davis now on board at GSN
« on: October 18, 2011, 02:49:49 PM »
http://movies.yahoo.com/news/gsn-taps-amy-introcaso-davis-lead-programming-department-133001362.html

From Bravo to Oxygen to GSN. Is there to help build a young female audience. Any thoughts, crew?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 02:52:04 PM by The Ol' Guy »

William_S.

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 06:54:44 PM »
The future depends. I haven't watched GSN in a while let alone tv.
That's soon to change Once the 26th of October(2011) rolls around.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 11:02:46 PM »
Is there to help build a young female audience. Any thoughts, crew?
Sure.  Don't run game shows.

Honestly, the continued fantasy by executives that they're ever really going to move the demographics on GSN is astonishing.  It is what it is.  Embrace it, or try something else.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 04:02:58 AM »
Honestly, the continued fantasy by executives that they're ever really going to move the demographics on GSN is astonishing.  It is what it is.  Embrace it, or try something else.
This. They dug a demographics hole with 10 years of great programming and want to pull a 360 that their head won't let them do. It's sad really.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 07:05:57 AM »
Is there to help build a young female audience. Any thoughts, crew?
Sure.  Don't run game shows.

At the risk of being accused of trolling, I've said this all along. Movies, soaps disguised as reality, etc. are what brings in the young female demo.  The new exec's background ("Queer Eye," "Real Housewives") is trendy, lightning-in-a-bottle stuff. More of that is what we'll see.  Not traditional game shows. Interesting that the trade press still sees GSN as "Game Show Network."
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 07:46:08 AM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

toddyo

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 10:26:36 AM »
I agree - either embrace the entirety or eliminate it completely. Here you have incredible libraries - use them! Cigarette ads, etc. It's history, not paid advertising. Jeesh - you don't see PBS stations blanking out "Plymouth" or "Geritol" on the reruns of Lawrence Welk shows.

Give the audience what they want - a mix of old and new is okay but when the focus on new is over-emphasized, the focus of the channel is lost. I don't buy the "cost of rights" mumbo-jumbo. I deal with rights acquisition in my job. They've paid for the rights. Kill off the informercials, package the daytime like what was done in the past and blow off the dust of the libraries. Give the programs some equal usage (no 3's a Crowd mega-marathons as example). Run TPIR, Joker's Wild, Hollywood Squares and other items not ran or "thought to be lost". Run the Goodson/Todman collection. Crank up the quad and dub away. Open up the purse and buy Sugarman's and Ralph Edwards libraries (or rights to them) - show some commitment.

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 10:36:02 AM »
What I was always concerned about was about how many times GSN played an episode of an older show. I worried that the more times they played them in the digibeta machine, the more they could get damaged beyond repair, and seeing that prices for quad to digibeta conversion have gone up since the initial conversion in 1994, they could never be shown ever again.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 10:36:40 AM by gameshowlover87 »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 12:10:36 PM »
I worried that the more times they played them in the digibeta machine, the more they could get damaged beyond repair
Oh, good lord.

Generally, before something gets damaged beyond repair, it gets damaged in a repairable fashion, or the library is maintained in such a way that the "worn out" state never happens. Either way, the content gets dubbed off to a new tape (digibeta-to-digibeta: no conversion necessary!) and the whole "damage clock" resets.

(That said, do we know if GSN even still runs Digibeta straight to air? So much of the rest of the world runs straight digital off of servers, and when you can get a 2 TB drive at Fry's for $80 now...)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 02:10:10 PM »
(That said, do we know if GSN even still runs Digibeta straight to air? So much of the rest of the world runs straight digital off of servers, and when you can get a 2 TB drive at Fry's for $80 now...)
Given that The Okemos Channel runs off servers now, I'd like to think grown-up networks do too.

On the other hand, I'm also recording our stuff in HD, but QuizBusters still isn't.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

J.R.

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 05:15:50 PM »
What I was always concerned about was about how many times GSN played an episode of an older show. I worried that the more times they played them in the digibeta machine, the more they could get damaged beyond repair, and seeing that prices for quad to digibeta conversion have gone up since the initial conversion in 1994, they could never be shown ever again.
Being obsessively melodramatic over game show reruns you probably have on personal tape/DVD and have probably seen dozens of times anyway.

-The epitome of epic fail
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 05:16:23 PM by J.R. »
-Joe Raygor

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2011, 09:37:08 PM »
You don't think reruns of Burt Luddin's Love Buffet would do the trick?

They could get Merrill Heatter to bring back High Rollers but with changed rules and a different title so he doesn't have to cut the Bob Quigley estate in on it. Or bring back Video Village as TV Town. I don't think they could bring back Shenanigans -- how can you replace a ham like Stubby Kaye, and who would play Kenny the Cop?

/They would have to have a tattoo parlor, a head shop and an adult movie theater on the Magic Mile to make it truly contemporary.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 09:40:43 PM by chris319 »

daveromanjr

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2011, 06:25:19 AM »
IDK, sounds they ripped a page of the Nick at Nite playbook and they're pulling a "Block Party Summer" on us.
Good thing you posted the same exact post in two threads.