Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Slightly OT- If you went on WOF or J!....  (Read 2710 times)

JayC

Slightly OT- If you went on WOF or J!....
« on: December 27, 2003, 06:26:37 PM »
If you went on WoF or J!, what would your interesting fact about yourself be?

WoF- My first word was "Vanna", my aunt was on the show once back when there was shopping and won a ceramic dog.

J!- Father was a master at Jeopardy and it was his favorite show.

zachhoran

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2003, 07:12:46 PM »
[quote name=\'JayC\' date=\'Dec 27 2003, 06:26 PM\'] If you went on WoF or J!, what would your interesting fact about yourself be?

[/quote]
 A somewhat related question: Part of the J! audition required applicants to write down five interesting things to discuss with Alex during the on-air contestant interviews. I wonder how many things they have to write down now with the potential for champions to stay on an unlimited number of days. It'd be hard enough for some to come up with five things.

BrandonFG

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2003, 08:04:10 PM »
[quote name=\'JayC\' date=\'Dec 27 2003, 06:26 PM\'] If you went on WoF or J!, what would your interesting fact about yourself be?

WoF- My first word was "Vanna", my aunt was on the show once back when there was shopping and won a ceramic dog.

J!- Father was a master at Jeopardy and it was his favorite show. [/quote]
 For J! I'd probably tell this story about my internship at the local news station in 2002...

One of the producers asked me to look for a "bag of bars" and a "box of tone." I ended up running around the whole station looking for both items, and even went to this rooftop shed to look for both. About 20 minutes later, I am led into one of the news manager's office, where I see a box stuffed with newspapers. Inside the box reads a message: "Gotcha! Love, the newsroom." The whole station was in on the gag. :-)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2003, 08:27:45 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Dec 27 2003, 05:12 PM\'] I wonder how many things they have to write down now with the potential for champions to stay on an unlimited number of days. It'd be hard enough for some to come up with five things. [/quote]
 I would guess that once you get up to six and seven days, Alex can pretty easily turn the discussion to the events of the past week and come up with questions related to that. "So, how do you think winning this money will change your life?" "What's the first thing you plan to buy with your winnings?" "Has anyone else in your family ever been a big winner in a contest or something similar?"
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

HSquares2003

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2003, 09:50:45 PM »
How did Wink Martindale handle Thom Mckee's long TTD reign on the discussion part? Surely they ran out of things after his (was it 45 days) long reign????

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2003, 09:58:09 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Dec 27 2003, 08:12 PM\'] I wonder how many things they have to write down now with the potential for champions to stay on an unlimited number of days. It'd be hard enough for some to come up with five things. [/quote]
 If you actually pay attention to some of the contestant interviews, you notice pretty quickly that some people have a hard enough time coming up with one.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

trainman

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2003, 12:15:51 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Dec 27 2003, 06:58 PM\'] If you actually pay attention to some of the contestant interviews, you notice pretty quickly that some people have a hard enough time coming up with one. [/quote]
 The only special preparation I've done for my "Jeopardy!" tryouts has been to think up my "5 interesting things" in advance and write them down on a crib sheet.  I have a feeling that few potential contestants think to do this, so they're stuck with whatever bizarre items were on the top of their head at the tryout.

However, I haven't gotten on the show yet.  Hmm...

(One of the things I put down last time around:  "I once shared a hotel suite with Eddie Timanus.")
trainman is a man of trains

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2003, 04:33:06 AM »
I don't know if I could ever come up with 5 (or even 2) interesting J! discussion topics, as my life is terribly dull. Wheel of Fortune, though, did (almost) diagnose my nearsightedness as a child. My parents thought I stood so close to the TV while it was on because I enjoyed it so much (which I did), and it wasn't until entering first grade and having to sit many feet away from the blackboard that the problem became evident.

Heck, I've got another silly WoF story: I would tape the episodes and play them back, "solving" the puzzles as soon as they were revealed. Scared several houseguests half to death.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin