Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hosts returning to their old shows full time after having previously b  (Read 6021 times)

davidbod

David J. Bodycombe, Labyrinth Games

Author of How To Devise A Game Show

Kevin Prather

Hosts returning to their old shows full time after having previously b
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2011, 07:14:38 AM »
Here's a stretch: Peter Marshall hosting an episode of H2 during Game Show Week.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 07:16:07 AM by Kevin Prather »

whewfan

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2011, 07:50:35 AM »
And the change was not for the better at all. It seemed that Mike Darrow was hired only because he looked pretty on camera, nothing more.
I'm (only slightly) stunned, as I can't think of one single thing to support Darrow being anything but perfectly capable.

(And considering they taped in Toronto at the time, I'm guessing the fact that he was Canadian didn't exactly hurt.)

And when he hosted Jackpot!, more often than not, he got the wallet colors wrong (something Geoff Edwards never did).
Especially this. "More often than not?" Proof or Not Real.

Having only seen a handful of the original and 1990 run of Jackpot, I think Geoff was a better fit for the show, but I also feel Mike Darrow did a decent job. I also liked the "Jaws-like" intro of the original and 1990 run better than the "tick-tock" chime of the Canadian version. Also on at least a couple occasions on the Darrow version, the Jackpot EXCEEDED the Super Jackpot, thus making the Super Jackpot moot. So I think the cheaper stakes also made the show less exciting. I also happened to notice that in the 1990 version, an exclamation point was added to the title, Jackpot!

Getting back to the original topic, could it be argued that Garry Moore also returned to TTTT, but only to announce his retirement and that Joe Garagiola would be his successor? They only played one full game, and the second half was Garry explaining his long absence and his decision to retire. He obviously lived well, because he lived for 13 more years.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2011, 07:58:56 AM »
In the early days, hosts would take summer vacations. Thanks to GSN reruns, we were able to see some instances of that. For example on Two for the Money, Herb Shriner was spelled by Walter O'Keefe and later Sam Levenson for the summer.  Of course, Sam would later take over the show full time in its final go-round.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2011, 12:25:08 PM »
The information about Mike Darrow's ineptness came from BillCullen1, who had attended many game show tapings over the years. He said that Darrow was so clueless in making a proper entrance on $128K Question, that he ended up leaving the studio. I swear I didn't make this up.

As for the original topic, I see there's no mention of Ed McMahon taking over Concentration in 1969, only for Bob Clayton to return months later.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 12:30:18 PM by gameshowlover87 »

Eric Paddon

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2011, 01:06:01 PM »
The Clayton to McMahon to Clayton scenario was touched on briefly.    Hugh Downs' memoir "On Camera" also mentions it in a lengthy chapter on "Concentration" in which he talked about having felt misled by NBC into staying on with "Concentration" several months longer than he wanted to, only because he was assured that Bob would be his permanent replacement and then NBC reneged on that after a couple months.     Hugh also said that NBC that fall contacted him when he was on vacation to find out if he knew where Bob was so they could offer him the job back and how that satisfied him immensely.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2011, 01:29:16 PM »
The Clayton to McMahon to Clayton scenario was touched on briefly.    Hugh Downs' memoir "On Camera" also mentions it in a lengthy chapter on "Concentration" in which he talked about having felt misled by NBC into staying on with "Concentration" several months longer than he wanted to, only because he was assured that Bob would be his permanent replacement and then NBC reneged on that after a couple months.     Hugh also said that NBC that fall contacted him when he was on vacation to find out if he knew where Bob was so they could offer him the job back and how that satisfied him immensely.
Of course, with Norm here, we could find out exactly what happened, but as soon as "Snap Judgment" went off Ed went directly to "Concentration."  Was Ed contractually obligated to host an NBC game or something?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2011, 11:50:33 PM »
The information about Mike Darrow's ineptness came from BillCullen1, who had attended many game show tapings over the years. He said that Darrow was so clueless in making a proper entrance on $128K Question, that he ended up leaving the studio. I swear I didn't make this up.
Okay, so I'm a little confused and somewhat dubious. Are you telling us, then, that when you made this statement:

And when he hosted Jackpot!, more often than not, he got the wallet colors wrong (something Geoff Edwards never did).
...that you're making it based primarily on second-hand information and not your own observations?

I am asking this because I watched this show on a fairly regular basis when it was in first run, and while it is entirely possible that I simply didn't notice this monumental level of ineptitude, it seems unlikely.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2011, 05:58:01 AM »
As BillCullen1 posts here, I'd like to see him confirm/deny this.  I doubt the validity of the claim, but obviously, YMMV.
Quote from: gslover87
Do tell how this effected the outcome of the game.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2011, 03:59:45 PM »
The post was made on the old GSN forums. I would be glad to cite them for you, but unfortunately, they appear to be down (maybe forever), so I don't know what to do, other than to wait in the hopes that BillCullen1 will post in this thread. If not, then oh well, life goes on.

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2011, 05:22:38 PM »
If you wanna go overseas...Bob Monkhouse was fired from The Golden Shot, only to be brought back after a few less successful hosts had their turn at it.

I mention it partly because I think Monkhouse's story is such an interesting one.
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com