Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Well It's Official  (Read 8377 times)

jrjgames

Well It's Official
« on: December 03, 2003, 08:15:26 AM »
Hello guys,

Just a quick heads up on something I've been working on for the past few months.

http://www.jrjgames.com/rubiks

Please do not email me with questions on how the show works as I can't release that to the public yet, but the format has been approved and all TV rights licensed to JRJ Games.  I will be pitching the format soon to networks and producers.

Just a heads up on something that's in the works.

You comments are welcome!

John

zachhoran

Well It's Official
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2003, 09:26:22 AM »
[quote name=\'jrjgames\' date=\'Dec 3 2003, 08:15 AM\'] Hello guys,

Just a quick heads up on something I've been working on for the past few months.

Please do not email me with questions on how the show works as I can't release that to the public yet, but the format has been approved and all TV rights licensed to JRJ Games.  I will be pitching the format soon to networks and producers.

John [/quote]
 WHo will host? Tab Hunter(who appeared in the Fridays "Hollywood Cubes" skit c. 1981 or 1982)

jrjgames

Well It's Official
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2003, 10:46:33 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Dec 3 2003, 09:26 AM\'] [quote name=\'jrjgames\' date=\'Dec 3 2003, 08:15 AM\'] Hello guys,

Please do not email me with questions on how the show works as I can't release that to the public yet, but the format has been approved and all TV rights licensed to JRJ Games.  I will be pitching the format soon to networks and producers.

John [/quote]
WHo will host? Tab Hunter(who appeared in the Fridays "Hollywood Cubes" skit c. 1981 or 1982) [/quote]
 Alright, I'll take that...I knew that would happen, just not in reply #1 :-P

;)

John

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Well It's Official
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2003, 11:41:54 AM »
[quote name=\'jrjgames\' date=\'Dec 3 2003, 08:46 AM\'] Alright, I'll take that...I knew that would happen, just not in reply #1 :-P
 [/quote]
 It shouldn't have surprised you the second you saw Horan's name.

I wish you the best of luck with this, although I have to wonder if you're not 20 years late to the table with it...
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

GS Warehouse

Well It's Official
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2003, 12:44:06 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Dec 3 2003, 11:41 AM\'] I wish you the best of luck with this, although I have to wonder if you're not 20 years late to the table with it... [/quote]
 An animated series featuring Rubik's Cube lasted just one season.  My suggestion: don't let Ron Palillo or Menudo anywhere near this project.

zachhoran

Well It's Official
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2003, 12:47:46 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Dec 3 2003, 11:41 AM\'] [quote name=\'jrjgames\' date=\'Dec 3 2003, 08:46 AM\'] Alright, I'll take that...I knew that would happen, just not in reply #1 :-P
 [/quote]
It shouldn't have surprised you the second you saw Horan's name.

I wish you the best of luck with this, although I have to wonder if you're not 20 years late to the table with it... [/quote]
 The Tab Hunter joke wasn't meant to offend Ricci or his show idea(or Tab Hunter, whose career in his later years is arguably a joke) :) Hopefully someone will look at one or more of Ricci's shows in the near future. Ricci also has a proposal for a new TV version of Trivial Pursuit at his site.

When Wink's version of TP aired in 1993, he partly blamed its lack of success on the fact that the TP craze was a few years before that. The first pilot done for a version of TP came in 1987, hosted by Bob Eubanks for (I think) Jay Wolpert Enterprises. An article on Wolpert in TV Game $how Magazine in the January, 1987 issue mentioned that he was working on such a show at the time.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Well It's Official
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2003, 12:53:10 PM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Dec 3 2003, 12:44 PM\'] [quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Dec 3 2003, 11:41 AM\'] I wish you the best of luck with this, although I have to wonder if you're not 20 years late to the table with it... [/quote]
An animated series featuring Rubik's Cube lasted just one season.  My suggestion: don't let Ron Palillo or Menudo anywhere near this project. [/quote]
 How about giving Patrick Wayne that second shot? ;)
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Mike Tennant

Well It's Official
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2003, 01:23:24 PM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Dec 3 2003, 12:53 PM\']How about giving Patrick Wayne that second shot? ;)[/quote]
Why not?  He's been endorsed by Jim Lange, as we all know now.

BrandonFG

Well It's Official
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2003, 02:52:00 PM »
[quote name=\'jrjgames\' date=\'Dec 3 2003, 08:15 AM\'] Hello guys,

John [/quote]
 When I was younger I thought about whether something like that could work. I wish you the best of luck, and look forward to seeing how this will translate (and see if you "stole" my idea ;-) )

Good luck!
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

SplitSecond

Well It's Official
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2003, 03:17:35 PM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Dec 3 2003, 10:53 AM\'] How about giving Patrick Wayne that second shot? ;) [/quote]
 Of what?

(By the way, the Trivial Pursuit pilot mentioned above was done by Jay Wolpert, but not hosted by Bob Eubanks.  I don't remember who the host was, but I'd never heard of him before and never seen him since.  Think of your average bespectacled geek from the mid-80's with a drier-than-average sense of humor.)

Fedya

Well It's Official
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2003, 03:27:49 PM »
[quote name=\'SplitSecond\' date=\'Dec 3 2003, 03:17 PM\'] (By the way, the Trivial Pursuit pilot mentioned above was done by Jay Wolpert, but not hosted by Bob Eubanks.  I don't remember who the host was, but I'd never heard of him before and never seen him since.  Think of your average bespectacled geek from the mid-80's with a drier-than-average sense of humor.) [/quote]
 The only person I can think of who fits such a description was Dieter from "Sprockets".  :-)
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

jrjgames

Well It's Official
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2003, 03:31:54 PM »
Beleive it or not, Rubiks Cube is on an upswing Im told.  I will never be as popular as it was before, but as you know anything pop culture has a shot.

And for Wink's Trivial Pursuit...it wasnt that he was too late, the format was kinda boring...no offense to Wink or anyone on here that may have worked on it.  They get Kudos for great interactive play that GSN has yet to match...but the game was kinda a sleeper! :)

More to come on Rubiks when I know more!

Thanks for ALL the support!

John

Jimmy Owen

Well It's Official
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2003, 03:38:20 PM »
[quote name=\'SplitSecond\' date=\'Dec 3 2003, 03:17 PM\']

(By the way, the Trivial Pursuit pilot mentioned above was done by Jay Wolpert, but not hosted by Bob Eubanks.  I don't remember who the host was, but I'd never heard of him before and never seen him since.  Think of your average bespectacled geek from the mid-80's with a drier-than-average sense of humor.) [/quote]
 No, I did not host that pilot.  It was hosted by a man named Steve Morris.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Neumms

Well It's Official
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2003, 04:38:45 PM »
Can anyone fill us in on how the game was played? Jay Wolpert's Trivial Pursuit, I mean.

SplitSecond

Well It's Official
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2003, 05:02:53 PM »
I'm slightly amused that a thread about another highly-touted John Ricci license acquisition comes back to Trivial Pursuit.  That notwithstanding...

The crux of the show is that four players play on a modified gameboard (4 spokes instead of 6), trying to make it from their "corner" of the board to the hub (a journey that takes 5 right answers).  The six then-standard TP categories were used.

Each player is staked to $250 and players take turns "buying" questions for their clockwise opponent ($100 for a hard question, $50 for a medium question, easy questions were free).  That opponent could then take the question of that difficulty level in that category, or change the category.  A right answer advances the player one space toward the hub and lights one wedge in the player's pie (each player had a monochrome pie of a different color).

Second round was played in the same fashion, but a wrong answer meant that the player who bought the question got a "kickback" and could answer the question himself.  Each player also got a prize hidden somewhere along the untravelled portion of his path.

Third round saw one player getting a car hidden somewhere along the untravelled portion of his path.  On their turn, a player could choose to answer a question and move one space (in hopes of uncovering the car) or spin their individual pie - landing on a previously lighted wedge advanced them directly to the hub and won them the game.

Bonus round was very Hit Man-esque.  The winner played against his three opponents from the main game and received an extra lighted wedge.  Everyone's lighted wedges essentially become "lives".  The winner faces off against each player one-at-a-time in a series of jump-in question showdowns.  A right answer took a life from your opponent, a wrong answer took one from you.  If the winner vanquished all three opponents, she won the game.

Like any other respectable Jay Wolpert game, there were a lot of other complications and details that I've omitted.  Feel free to fill them in if you've seen it and care.