Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Most obscure game shows  (Read 60197 times)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Most obscure game shows
« Reply #105 on: July 10, 2011, 03:17:13 AM »
Something which I only knew about when I flipped through my copy of the GSE was No Relation on FX.  Here's a link to a news story on it; but I was unable to find anything on Wikipedia.  Nor have I ever seen a clip of it.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

golden-road

Most obscure game shows
« Reply #106 on: July 10, 2011, 03:53:49 AM »
What I seem to remember the most about Knights and Warriors was this really weird and nonsensical final round that had the Warriors zipline across the ceiling and then I think target shooting. Anybody else remember this one?

I do; you used a crossbow to shoot moving targets for :30, earning :5 for each hit. Then the team had another :30 (plus :5 per hit) to shoot at the warriors who were moving on ziplines.

vtown7

Most obscure game shows
« Reply #107 on: July 10, 2011, 06:18:33 AM »
Speaking of Joe Fowler, I remember another show he did called Wild West Showdown.  It was set in an old West town and the contestants competed in Wild West-themed physical challenges.  I only ever remember seeing it once, but I remember recognizing Fowler's voice (he was the announcer).
I recall several short-lived theme competitions like that, which I think were trying to capitalize off of American Gladiators' success.  Another obscure one from about 20 years ago was Knights and Warriors, with a medieval setting.  I remember watching the first half of this as I was getting ready for work on Sunday mornings in '92-'93.

If anyone's looking for some info, there's a page on Bother's Bar about it.  Of note is the fact that the actress who portrayed Lady Battleaxe now plays the football coach on some show named Glee.

Ryan.

/will give week three as a prediction as to when a future revival of Hollywood Squares puts on a Glee retrospective week
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 06:19:01 AM by vtown7 »

Jimmy Owen

Most obscure game shows
« Reply #108 on: July 10, 2011, 07:51:44 AM »
Something which I only knew about when I flipped through my copy of the GSE was No Relation on FX.  Here's a link to a news story on it; but I was unable to find anything on Wikipedia.  Nor have I ever seen a clip of it.
Mike Rowe was the host.  Of course, he has gone on to greater fame as host of "Dirty Jobs."  Mike would be good with a "What's My Line" revival--maybe "What's My Dirty Line" to attract young demos.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

tvwxman

Most obscure game shows
« Reply #109 on: July 10, 2011, 11:15:06 AM »
Mike Rowe was the host.  Of course, he has gone on to greater fame as host of "Dirty Jobs."  Mike would be good with a "What's My Line" revival--maybe "What's My Dirty Line" to attract young demos.
Always liked him - but this was a crap show. I think Dick Clark produced it? Somewhere in my collection I have the first ep on tape. I don't think I've watched it since.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

rockinricky

Most obscure game shows
« Reply #110 on: July 10, 2011, 04:08:05 PM »
RockinRicky - could the PBS show have been You Owe It To Yourself with Allen Ludden? It sure would fit the realm of obscurities.

That may be it, I can't find anything on Google or Wikipedia about it. All I get from Google are references to songs with that title and stuff about "You owe it to yourself to eat right/see this movie/read this book/etc". Of course, I only checked 14 pages of Google results. Nothing.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 04:08:38 PM by rockinricky »

Fedya

Most obscure game shows
« Reply #111 on: July 10, 2011, 04:27:11 PM »
I did a search on "you owe it to yourself" plus Allen Ludden, and the first link I got was some obscure internet discussion board.  ;-)
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

Matt Ottinger

Most obscure game shows
« Reply #112 on: July 10, 2011, 05:01:00 PM »
I did a search on "you owe it to yourself" plus Allen Ludden, and the first link I got was some obscure internet discussion board.  ;-)
Awesome.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

knagl

• Executive Producer
Most obscure game shows
« Reply #113 on: July 11, 2011, 05:02:59 AM »
One that pops into my head from my yute was called, Time Out for Trivia, and I remember watching it with my dad in what would have been the early to mid 1980s in Shelburne, Vermont (a suburb of Burlington, VT).  If memory serves, the show was a live call-in show where there was a host on TV who would ask trivia questions (for some reason, I think it was mostly sports trivia, but I could be wrong), and would invite callers to call in with their guesses.  I don't know if there were prizes for every question or not, but I do know that one designated caller per 30-minute (I'm guessing) episode would be eligible to win a (bigger?) prize if they got their question correct.  I remember one time my dad called in and he was the designated caller, but failed to answer the question correctly and didn't win the $50 gift certificate to Radio Shack, or whatever the prize was.

About the only other thing I remember is the host would constantly ask, "Who's playing Time Out for Trivia?" as his way of answering the phone for the next caller, who would identify themselves and then attempt to answer the trivia question.

Edit: Heh, so for kicks I Googled the phrase, "Who's playing Time Out for Trivia" and found a Sports Illustrated article from 1988 about the show (here).  It was broadcast nationwide on cable -- anyone else remember the show?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 05:07:57 AM by knagl »

tvwxman

Most obscure game shows
« Reply #114 on: July 11, 2011, 07:00:26 AM »

Edit: Heh, so for kicks I Googled the phrase, "Who's playing Time Out for Trivia" and found a Sports Illustrated article from 1988 about the show (here).  It was broadcast nationwide on cable -- anyone else remember the show?
The old FNN (financial news net - a precursor to CNBC) aired it, no? My only knowledge from it comes from TV Game Show magazine doing a write-up on it.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

BrandonFG

Most obscure game shows
« Reply #115 on: July 11, 2011, 07:58:36 AM »

The old FNN (financial news net - a precursor to CNBC) aired it, no?
I looked it up about an hour ago, and that seems to be right, on the SCORE Network, which I believe was a FNN subsidiary?

I remember seeing the show on Youtube a few years ago, but couldn't find any clips.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Jimmy Owen

Most obscure game shows
« Reply #116 on: July 11, 2011, 08:39:59 AM »

The old FNN (financial news net - a precursor to CNBC) aired it, no?
I looked it up about an hour ago, and that seems to be right, on the SCORE Network, which I believe was a FNN subsidiary?

I remember seeing the show on Youtube a few years ago, but couldn't find any clips.
Yeah, FNN/Score was a business during the day, sports after the markets closed network.  Sparce production values as I recall.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

davemackey

Most obscure game shows
« Reply #117 on: July 11, 2011, 10:18:16 AM »
The host of "Time Out for Trivia" was Todd Donoho, who always told his callers he was "Tremendous, my friend." He was also one of the TelShop hosts, along with Michelle Roth.

Has anyone mentioned the short-lived spinoff of "Tony Brown's Journal" called "Can You Dig It?". Couples, identified by first name and astrological sign (eerily reminiscent of the song "Float On") played for cheap prizes like love beads.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Most obscure game shows
« Reply #118 on: July 11, 2011, 11:53:16 AM »
The host of "Time Out for Trivia" was Todd Donoho, who always told his callers he was "Tremendous, my friend." He was also one of the TelShop hosts, along with Michelle Roth.
Isn't he (or wasn't he recently) anchoring sports in L.A. (KABC comes to mind)?

And would MINDREADERS qualify for obscure (granted, 1979-80 show, but never seen in reruns--just a YouTube clip or trading circuit video seems to be the only remnants)?
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Most obscure game shows
« Reply #119 on: July 11, 2011, 12:07:23 PM »
Isn't he (or wasn't he recently) anchoring sports in L.A. (KABC comes to mind)?
Yes. For a while he hosted a live post-game show after Monday Night Football called, creatively, "Monday Night Live," and they would do a call-in trivia segment much in the vein of TOFT. I am told by people who lived in the area that his phone schtick didn't change one iota.

"To the phones we go...WHO'S playing Monday Night Live?"

"Erm, this is Bob from Inglewood. How are ya, Todd?"

"Tremendous, my friend!"

Made me kinda wish I'd seen it. (Apparently he moved back to Missouri and is doing college sports stuff now.)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe