Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Review a home game...  (Read 10696 times)

That Don Guy

Review a home game...
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2003, 11:56:47 PM »
The Hollywood Squares
(Milton Bradley) 1980

Box Cover: B+
A nice cover with a huge HS logo taking up most of the cover, few points off because of the odd looking celebs, but we'll get into that a little bit later.

Game Materials: D
The board is nothing like the show, so very cartoonish, nothing like the show at all. The static cling \"X\" and \"O\"s stop working after a while and fall off too many times. The only saving grace are the question booklets.

I vaguely remember playing a HS home version somewhere around 1972, and it was a little different.  I think it worked like this: there was a plastic gameboard where the nine squares had compartments to hold piles of cards, and a place to write in the names of celebrities (in pencil, presumably).  There were a number of decks of small question cards (with the answers on the back); a deck was selected, and the cards divided among the nine squares.  The game played like the TV version, although as there were only two of us there, there was no \"agree / disagree\"; either you answered the question correctly or you didn't.  (I assume it was meant for additional players to be the \"celebrities\" and actually try to answer the questions.)  Rather large plastic Xs and Os went onto the board to indicate who got what square.  Also, some of the questions had stars on them; these were \"secret square\" cards (it was possible to have more than one in a game), and they were worth a $200 bonus in addition to $200 for each game won (which is what the NBC daytime version paid); first to $2000 won.

Speaking of older games, does anybody else remember something called Big Numbers: the High Rollers Game, released back when the show was on NBC?  (I think Trebek was on the box cover as well)

tommycharles

Review a home game...
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2003, 04:48:56 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jun 23 2003, 12:48 PM\'] That and their obvious disdain for the Dutch. :) [/quote]
 *checks Matt's website*

Ah yes, you can see it in his eyes.

zachhoran

Review a home game...
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2003, 08:07:42 AM »
ES Lowe, an MB subsidiary released two home versions of a High ROllers home game in the mid 70s with that moniker. Trebek appeared on the cover of those games. E.S. Lowe is the man best known for inventing the game Yahtzee.

The Squares board game in question came out in 1967 by Watkins-Strathmore, and is plugged on the 1968 NBC primetime episodes GSN shows. The second one came out by Ideal in 1974, the third Marshall era Squares game came out by MB in 1980.

urbanpreppie05

Review a home game...
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2003, 11:55:10 AM »
Bruce's Price is Right-UK

Cover: a picture of Bruce Forsythe pointing, and the logo.  Very attractive cover though! (B)

Game Materials: Lots of colorful cards for prizes, and 6 markers, but no pictures of anything! The Money though, is awesome! It's 2 sided, and in color! (B)

Playability: Here's what's different...with exception for some of the Higher/Lower and Bidding games, this game does not play like the TV show. But that's what makes it so cool. It's different. You buy stuff from various decades and try to sell it back in new decade, pending on a roll of the dice! (A)

Overall: A nice game. Good job from the Brits for being original!

A-
« Last Edit: June 25, 2003, 11:55:32 AM by urbanpreppie05 »
insert signature here

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Review a home game...
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2003, 01:14:38 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jun 25 2003, 05:07 AM\'] E.S. Lowe is the man best known for inventing the game Yahtzee.
 [/quote]
 Wrong again, Zach.

E.S. Lowe might have MARKETED the game as Yahtzee, but he didn't invent it.

As the legend goes, a wealthy Canadian couple invented the game as a diversion to play aboard their yacht (hence the name.) Friends enjoyed the game and wanted a set of their own, so they approached Lowe in 1956 about having a few made as gifts. He licenced the game from them and it became what we know as Yahtzee.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Review a home game...
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2003, 02:33:08 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jun 25 2003, 07:07 AM\'] ES Lowe, an MB subsidiary released two home versions of a High ROllers home game in the mid 70s with that moniker. Trebek appeared on the cover of those games. E.S. Lowe is the man best known for inventing the game Yahtzee.

The Squares board game in question came out in 1967 by Watkins-Strathmore, and is plugged on the 1968 NBC primetime episodes GSN shows. The second one came out by Ideal in 1974, the third Marshall era Squares game came out by MB in 1980. [/quote]
 Zach, would you mind staying on topic instead of dropping in your little factoids?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Matt Ottinger

Review a home game...
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2003, 08:57:10 PM »
As the legend goes, a wealthy Canadian couple invented the game as a diversion to play aboard their yacht (hence the name.) Friends enjoyed the game and wanted a set of their own, so they approached Lowe in 1956 about having a few made as gifts. He licenced the game from them and it became what we know as Yahtzee.
With all the talk about High Rollers, I'm a little surprised Zach didn't check first at my specific page dedicated to those box games, which includes a paragraph explaining E.S. Lowe, and why some of the earliest High Rollers games had his imprint instead of MB's:
http://userdata.acd.net/ottinger/inside/ro...lers/index.html

BTW, if anyone's curious why I haven't contributed mrore to this thread, you can read my reviews of dozens of box games on my website.  Just click on the box on any of the index pages, and up will pop a page describing the game in detail.
http://userdata.acd.net/ottinger/games.htm
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Card Shark

Review a home game...
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2003, 11:30:45 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jun 22 2003, 08:46 PM\'] One oddity about the MB Feud home games is that the rules tell you to reveal the six given answers for Fast Money questions, a better idea is to keep the answers hidden, as done on the show itself. [/quote]
 I got one of the last versions in early 1985 and found it odd that all the questions only had five answers. So, then what was the point of the other side of the board????
Adam Strom

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Review a home game...
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2003, 04:13:54 AM »
[quote name=\'Card Shark\' date=\'Jun 27 2003, 10:30 PM\'] [quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jun 22 2003, 08:46 PM\'] One oddity about the MB Feud home games is that the rules tell you to reveal the six given answers for Fast Money questions, a better idea is to keep the answers hidden, as done on the show itself. [/quote]
I got one of the last versions in early 1985 and found it odd that all the questions only had five answers. So, then what was the point of the other side of the board???? [/quote]
 My guess is they were recycling materials-why make an all new board?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

zachhoran

Review a home game...
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2003, 08:09:57 AM »
both sides of the board in the Feud game would still have to be used for Fast Money, even if the main game questions would only use one side of the board.

Game Show Man

• Admiral Anaheim, Big Joey Numbers, etc.
Review a home game...
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2003, 08:13:05 PM »
I'm shocked no one's done this one...

Sale of the Century
American Publishing Company, 1986

Box Cover: A
Simple black cover depicting three players playing the game in a small inset on the lower right hand corner, with the show's 1980's-era logo in big white letters dominating the rest of the cover.  Rainbow-colored \"chasing lights\" trim the outer area.

Game Materials: A+
The game uses a \"traditional-style\" game board (i.e., a big colorful square cardboard playing surface, much like a Monopoly board) and six scoring markers to keep score. The prizes are simulated with five stacks of prize cards  (of flimsy cardstock, unfortunately).  They consist of three \"instant bargain\" decks, one $5, one $10 and one $15, consisting of eight cards each; one Fame Game deck of 14 cards; and one Winner's deck of 24 cards. The cards feature photos of the prizes being won. Also, there's a large rules/question book containing 120 \"rounds\" of questions.  Each round is supposed to represent a full episode of the show, and contains 22 questions: twenty standard questions and two Fame Games; this is actually about two thirds of the questions asked on a standard episode of the show, not including the Speed Round, which the game also lacks.  The game makes up for this by designating all of the eight questions after the second Fame Game as being worth double.  But the distinguishing component of the game is the legendary Quizzard buzzer system, a simple, durable, electronic six-player player lockout unit. Sale was the first game to include a full-fledged electronic buzzer system, and the Quizzard was so cool, that stand-alone units featuring a random selection feature (perfect for [/I]Russian Roulette[/I]) and a simple 5-60 second timer were made.

Playability: A+
Very true to the television series.  The reduced number of questions in each round allows several episodes worth of action to be played very quickly.  This is important, since the object is to win the most money in prizes.  Prize values are kept in $250 increments to make adding values quick and easy.  Instant Bargains are offered when a player reaches the $35 space (where they are offered a $5 Instant Bargain card), the $45 space (where they look at a $10 card), and the $55 space (a $15 card is offered here).  Correct answers to the Fame Game question earn a Fame Game Card, containing either a small prize, added to the player's winnings, or a Money Card, added to the player's score (unlike the show, where the values are $10, $15, and $25, the cards in the game are $10, $15 and $20).  The winner of each round receives the top card from the Winner's deck, regardless of their current score, which simplifies things (as opposed to the Aussie version from which this game is adapted, whose Winner's prizes have variable costs), but because of two big prizes in the game, it can sometimes get a bit unbalanced. This is rare however, since the odds of getting those two cards are quite low.  After a predetermined number of rounds, the player with the most money in \"prizes\" is the winner.

The Aussies knew they had a killer game on their hands, and made FIVE editions of their version of the game.  Each version presumably included new prizes and almost certainly featured new questions.  

Overall: A+

Say it with me, folks:
Best.  Adaptation.  EVER.

\"Game Show Man\" Joe Van Ginkel
gameshowman@winning.com
« Last Edit: June 28, 2003, 09:21:36 PM by Game Show Man »
"Game Show Man" Joe Van Ginkel
captvangin@aol.com
"Remember, reality bites, so WATCH MORE GAME SHOWS!"

clemon79

Review a home game...
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2003, 09:02:22 PM »
[quote name=\'Game Show Man\' date=\'Jun 28 2003, 05:13 PM\'] Say it with me, folks:
Best.  Adaptation.  EVER.
 [/quote]
 Except you conveniently overlooked a hole in the game big enough to drive a truck through: that $100,000 Cash Jackpot card. Between that and the $50,000 Jaguar, once either of those two prizes get won, the game is basically over. I can't give a Playability A+ to a game that can be rendered that imbalanced by two prize cards.

\"But if someone gets one, you can hope to get the other!\" Yeah, sure. And if you don't, if you \"only\" win a $25K prize, it might as well be worth $0. That is NOT an A+.

I'm not saying it isn't a great home game; it is, and I'm proud to own a copy. But if you're going to write a review, don't write a puff piece, review it warts and all. Honestly, in terms of accurately recreating the feeling of playing the game in the studio, the original Password home games (particularly the later editions with Lightning Rounds) come closer.

zachhoran

Review a home game...
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2003, 09:12:45 PM »
The Jag is worth $40K and the Cash Jackpot in $50K(at least in the game I owned, perhaps other copies of the game were made with a $50K Jag and a $100K CJ card)

clemon79

Review a home game...
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2003, 10:47:32 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jun 28 2003, 06:12 PM\'] The Jag is worth $40K and the Cash Jackpot in $50K(at least in the game I owned, perhaps other copies of the game were made with a $50K Jag and a $100K CJ card) [/quote]
 You know what, Zach? It really doesn't matter that much.

SimpsonGeek

Review a home game...
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2003, 02:08:13 PM »
Card Sharks
(Endless Games) 2001

Box Cover: B
A simple cover with the CS '01 logo on it.

Game Materials: A-
What much more do you need other than cards, a board, and survey questions? Points off for the extra spaces in Money Cards.

Playability: A
Just like the classic show. Thank god they didn't use the CS '01 rules.

Overall: A
To me it's Endless's best adaption so far.