Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Lingo tonight  (Read 12717 times)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Lingo tonight
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2011, 04:26:47 PM »
I hear everyone's complaints about how the show now is playing to the lowest common denominator as far as innuendo goes but let's not pretend that "Scrabble" was completely innocent with its clues.  The first one that comes to mind immediately was from the last episode of the original run: "Tammy Faye (Baker) has two big ones".  Turned out to be "Eyelashes" but still.  And do I even have to bring up "Match Game" which was pretty much as raunchy as it could get as far as game shows in the '70s?
Without innuendo, Match Game may as well have been test patterns. Scrabble's hook was that it was hangman but with the naughty clues, that at least winked at the naughtiness, rather than going right up, grabbing naughty by the ass and giving a big sloppy kiss on the mouth.
Travis L. Eberle

Matt Ottinger

Lingo tonight
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2011, 04:46:27 PM »
Without innuendo, Match Game may as well have been test patterns. Scrabble's hook was that it was hangman but with the naughty clues, that at least winked at the naughtiness, rather than going right up, grabbing naughty by the ass and giving a big sloppy kiss on the mouth.
...and Lingo is a straightforward word-puzzle game that was GSN's most successful show ever without relying on clues at all, naughty or otherwise.  I have no problem with the innuendo, I just think clues of any sort have no place in this particular game.  In my perfect world, they'd give Bill a remade Camouflage with suggestive clues, and give us Lingo the way GSN already knew Lingo worked!

GSN: If we keep making changes, at some point we'll manage to suck the life out of ANY format!
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

WilliamPorygon

Lingo tonight
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2011, 06:29:05 PM »
I hear everyone's complaints about how the show now is playing to the lowest common denominator as far as innuendo goes but let's not pretend that "Scrabble" was completely innocent with its clues.  The first one that comes to mind immediately was from the last episode of the original run: "Tammy Faye (Baker) has two big ones".  Turned out to be "Eyelashes" but still.

The difference is, on Scrabble, the correct answer wouldn't actually be bawdy and you'd usually know right away from the word length or the given starting letter that it's not the obvious off-color response that they're looking for.  Whereas on Lingo, with a clue like the above they'd put up a B, the contestants would immediately guess "BOOBS" and it might even be the right answer.

And like Matt said, there's no need for clues in Lingo anyway.  We're using 5-letter words for goodness sake.  I'd like to see longer words like other countries do but we Americans apparently have enough trouble just spelling 5-letter words.  (Well, at least the young pretty ones that they want to cast.)

RyanCDN

Lingo tonight
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2011, 06:38:44 PM »
I happened to catch this last night to see what the show was all about.  I can't quite get my head around the clues given to teh words.  The game is a simple premise in itself, why are clues needed.  Sure, reminds me of Scrabble, but I didn't quite get it.  Perhaps they can make the Lingo balls bigger, because the ones shown right now are not quite large enough.

I know the bonus round isn't exactly a gimme, but I have to ask, is it me or does this seem like a rediculously 'easy' way to win $100,000?  I like the multiplication aspect, that is fine, but I would have to agree with a previous poster - removing the Lingo Board from the bonux round eliminates a major part of the game.

I enjoyed the No Lingo round on the original series.  If I am not mistakened, this is the same bonus round done on Lingo when it aired on SRC.

-Ryan
Ryan
“I’ll give away a Zed.”

vtown7

Lingo tonight
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2011, 09:39:49 PM »
Correct you are, fellow Ryan.

catnap1972

Lingo tonight
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2011, 09:56:03 PM »
There may be a 'multiplication' aspect involved, but it's apparent somebody on the crew flunked the subject back in school.  Since when is 3800+3800=11,400?  At least somebody with some sense got it right when they actually played it.

Send calculator batteries...will travel
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 10:06:23 PM by catnap1972 »

chad1m

Lingo tonight
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2011, 10:09:33 PM »
How peculiar, I didn't even notice that. The proper total had to have made its way in somewhere, as they were awarded their correct four-word prize, $17,100. ($15,200 + $1,900)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 10:09:57 PM by chad1m »

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
Lingo tonight
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2011, 10:33:42 PM »
Since when is 3800+3800=11,400?  At least somebody with some sense got it right when they actually played it.
I'm guessing whoever drew up the graphic put it the base 1900 in with the 3800 by accident.  Honestly, I've done something like this more times than I'd care to admit, even though I have a fancy piece of paper that says I have a degree in mathematics.

Though, why isn't the doubling coded in?
This signature is currently under construction.

jmangin

Lingo tonight
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2011, 10:35:13 PM »
I hear everyone's complaints about how the show now is playing to the lowest common denominator as far as innuendo goes but let's not pretend..."Scrabble"..."Match Game"...
The writing on Scrabble and Match Game was exponentially better than the garbage they are using for clues on Lingo. It has nothing to do with lewdness or innuendo...the clues aren't even funny on the new show.

Boggle on The Family Channel was more entertaining than this version of Lingo.

chad1m

Lingo tonight
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2011, 11:17:15 PM »
I've noticed the past couple of nights that I can tolerate the less-than-stellar clues more when there are good contestants playing with them.

tvwxman

Lingo tonight
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2011, 11:30:34 PM »
Since when is 3800+3800=11,400?  At least somebody with some sense got it right when they actually played it.
I'm guessing whoever drew up the graphic put it the base 1900 in with the 3800 by accident.  Honestly, I've done something like this more times than I'd care to admit, even though I have a fancy piece of paper that says I have a degree in mathematics.

Though, why isn't the doubling coded in?
Tonight was the first time I watched - and I sat there for a good few minutes and couldn't figure out what they were doing with that score - esp since the graphics added during the bonus round didn't match the board they showed before the game began.

My head no longer hurts. Thank you.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

narzo

Lingo tonight
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2011, 01:25:29 AM »
Just noticed Bill wears an IFB. No game show host should EVER have to wear one.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Lingo tonight
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2011, 01:29:03 AM »
I hear everyone's complaints about how the show now is playing to the lowest common denominator as far as innuendo goes but let's not pretend that "Scrabble" was completely innocent with its clues.  The first one that comes to mind immediately was from the last episode of the original run: "Tammy Faye (Baker) has two big ones".  Turned out to be "Eyelashes" but still.  And do I even have to bring up "Match Game" which was pretty much as raunchy as it could get as far as game shows in the '70s?

Exactly. We've seen it before. It isn't funny anymore.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Kevin Prather

Lingo tonight
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2011, 02:33:07 AM »
Just noticed Bill wears an IFB. No game show host should EVER have to wear one.
Aren't those becoming more and more common?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Lingo tonight
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2011, 02:41:56 AM »
Aren't those becoming more and more common?
As honest-to-Gawd game-show hosts become rarer and rarer? Yeah, probably.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe