Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A "scholarly" question  (Read 900 times)

beatlefreak84

A "scholarly" question
« on: June 03, 2011, 11:41:10 PM »
Howdy,

I must say that this past semester has been very good for me, mainly because I've been able to combine my love of game shows with my love of math into some fairly serious research.  Specifically, I've been working on a short article on some probability exercises I've assigned based on "Press Your Luck."  I gave two presentations on it this past semester, one at a national math conference and the other more locally...it was a lot of fun to be able to talk about my favorite game show from a scholarly point of view, but many others really enjoyed the talk, and one person told me she went back to her room that night and watched the Larson episodes.  It's the little things...:)

Anyway, I had a question for all of you concerning the article I'm writing:  Since I plan on submitting it to a more informal magazine, it's pretty much required that I include pictures.  In the presentations I gave, I just used screenshots from Brad Francini's site...however, since I'm going to submit this to a magazine, I don't want to just include those pictures (or any others) without making sure I'm not going to get the publishers or myself in trouble.

So, my question to you is:  If I were to use screenshots from someone's website (properly cited, of course, and with that person's permission), could I put these in the article?  Or would I need to do something else, like take the pictures myself and/or contact someone associated with the show for permission?

Oh, and the magazine is Math Horizons, for those who are interested.  It's put out by the MAA, a nonprofit national math organization; the magazine is aimed at undergraduates and has mostly light reading articles intended to get students excited and interested in math.

Thanks for any help/advice you can give me!

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

BrandonFG

A "scholarly" question
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 12:03:43 AM »
Although the website owner's consent is good, you'll probably want to give courtesy to Fremantle Media, and maybe CBS. I'd definitely try to contact Fremantle, although that of course may be a bit more difficult.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!