Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The producer is the host?  (Read 4215 times)

beatlefreak84

The producer is the host?
« on: December 01, 2003, 10:36:00 PM »
Hello all,

An interesting question occurred to me over the weekend (at least, I think it's an interesting question) as I was writing my rule page on "The Joker's Wild."

We all know that Jack Barry both hosted and produced the show, along with some shows from the '50s.  I think we all also know that Monty Hall both hosted and produced "Let's Make a Deal" for four decades.

If one looks at the production credits (and I'm not talking about "Executive Producer:  Bob Barker," I'm talking about "A Mark Goodson Production"), were there any other times in game show history that a producer took over as host as well, not counting substitute hosting gigs?

I'm interested to see if these were the only two!

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2003, 10:43:05 PM »
Ralph Edwards on "Truth or Consequences," Merv Griffin on "Word for Word," Chuck Barris on "Gong Show," Ralph Andrews on "Lingo," Scott Sternberg on "Let's Go Back." Jan Murray on "Charge Account," Mike Stokey on "Pantomime Quiz/Stump the Stars," etc.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2003, 10:45:18 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2003, 10:51:55 PM »
Bert Convy comes to mind with Win, Lose or Draw and 3rd Degree. Chuck Barris took over The Gong Show. Merv Griffin did Word For Word, his first independent game venture. Ralph Edwards did the first TV Truth or Consequences. This may need to be checked, but I thought I read Dennis James was either the producer, creator, or both of the prime-time game High Finance.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2003, 10:55:02 PM »
I forgot Bob Eubanks "All-Star Secrets" Dick Clark on "Challengers" and Wink M. "Headline Chasers"
« Last Edit: December 01, 2003, 10:58:07 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

zachhoran

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2003, 10:59:24 PM »
[quote name=\'beatlefreak84\' date=\'Dec 1 2003, 10:36 PM\']

We all know that Jack Barry both hosted and produced the show, along with some shows from the '50s.  I think we all also know that Monty Hall both hosted and produced "Let's Make a Deal" for four decades.

[/quote]
 Jack also hosted We've Got Your Number(pilot), and the syndicated Break the Bank as well as co-produced them. Monty also hosted-produced It's Anybody's Guess and Split Second 1986-87.

Peter Tomarken had a supervising producer role on Wipeout, though that probably counts in a similar category to Barker on TPIR.

zachhoran

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2003, 11:02:22 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Dec 1 2003, 10:55 PM\'] I forgot Bob Eubanks "All-Star Secrets" Dick Clark on "Challengers" and Wink M. "Headline Chasers" [/quote]
 EUbanks also hosted-produced the not close to a game show Infatuation, and Wink hosted-produced Trivial Pursuit, and Boggle/Jumble/Shuffle, and the little-seen Travel Channel show Great Getaway Game.

Bill Armstrong had a producer role on 1976-77 Liar's Club as well as his hosting role.

Card Shark

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2003, 11:02:37 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Dec 1 2003, 10:59 PM\'] Peter Tomarken had a supervising producer role on Wipeout, though that probably counts in a similar category to Barker on TPIR. [/quote]
 Just out of curiosity, what was Peter's background in broadcasting prior to hosting a few game shows?
Adam Strom

zachhoran

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2003, 11:04:10 PM »
[quote name=\'Card Shark\' date=\'Dec 1 2003, 11:02 PM\'] [quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Dec 1 2003, 10:59 PM\'] Peter Tomarken had a supervising producer role on Wipeout, though that probably counts in a similar category to Barker on TPIR. [/quote]
Just out of curiosity, what was Peter's background in broadcasting prior to hosting a few game shows? [/quote]
 Essentially a struggling actor. He had a small role in the 1978 movie Heaven Can Wait(he played a porter as I recall reading), and did a few commercials. He was a magazine editor for Women's Wear Daily, as per the EOTVGS2. His first hosting gig was the Rodeo Drive pilot in 1980.

TV Favorites

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2003, 11:15:20 PM »
I believe that Bill Cullen was a producer for his hosted version of TPiR during part of its run.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2003, 11:32:08 PM »
Maybe I'm reading the question incorrectly, but wouldn't Trebek count as having been producer AND host for the 1984-85 season or so of J!?

Doug -- soon to celebrate 200 posts
« Last Edit: December 01, 2003, 11:33:30 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

zachhoran

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2003, 12:12:12 AM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Dec 1 2003, 11:32 PM\'] Maybe I'm reading the question incorrectly, but wouldn't Trebek count as having been producer AND host for the 1984-85 season or so of J!?

Doug -- soon to celebrate 200 posts [/quote]
 He hosted and produced J! from 1984-87, and he counts like Cullen counts as a producer of TPIR in its ABC days.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2003, 11:59:02 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Dec 2 2003, 01:12 AM\'] [quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Dec 1 2003, 11:32 PM\'] Maybe I'm reading the question incorrectly, but wouldn't Trebek count as having been producer AND host for the 1984-85 season or so of J!?

Doug -- soon to celebrate 200 posts [/quote]
He hosted and produced J! from 1984-87, and he counts like Cullen counts as a producer of TPIR in its ABC days. [/quote]
 I believe the original question referred to the producer as the owner of the production, so in that sense Zach is right.  On the other hand, we could probably further subdivide "producer" to separate the ones who actually had the responsibility from the ones who got, for lack of a better word, a courtesy title.

Trebek was the geniune producer for the three seasons he wore both hats.  He reported to corporate bosses, of course, but he called the shots in the making of the show.  Cullen, on the other hand, was far too busy to concern himself with the day-to-day of getting TPIR on the air.  He eventually received a producer credit, and I'm sure his input when he gave it was taken seriously, but other people (mostly Bob Stewart, of course) held the reins.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

tyshaun1

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2003, 12:16:15 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Dec 1 2003, 11:04 PM\'] [quote name=\'Card Shark\' date=\'Dec 1 2003, 11:02 PM\'] [quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Dec 1 2003, 10:59 PM\'] Peter Tomarken had a supervising producer role on Wipeout, though that probably counts in a similar category to Barker on TPIR. [/quote]
Just out of curiosity, what was Peter's background in broadcasting prior to hosting a few game shows? [/quote]
Essentially a struggling actor. He had a small role in the 1978 movie Heaven Can Wait(he played a porter as I recall reading), and did a few commercials. He was a magazine editor for Women's Wear Daily, as per the EOTVGS2. His first hosting gig was the Rodeo Drive pilot in 1980. [/quote]
 Peter was also a commercial director for a number of years before getting in front of the camera. I've also read that Peter has gotten back into that field, which is why youy see him occasionally pop into commercials recently. BTW, he's currently in a commercial for Lincoln-Mercury, playing an "Xbox" with his "son" (it's a real quick shot, so watch carefully).

Tyshaun

scully24

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2003, 12:50:01 PM »
Donny Osmond also has a producer credit on the current Pyramid.  This is probably another in the vein of the Bob Barker/Peter Tomarken credits discussed above.

Interestingly, the head contestant co-ordinator for Pyramid, Leslie Aquavive-Shulman, also bears the title of "Contestant Producer" on the show.  This is the first time to my knowledge that a contestant coordinator has been given a producer title on a show.

GS Warehouse

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2003, 01:56:06 PM »
[quote name=\'scully24\' date=\'Dec 2 2003, 12:50 PM\'] Donny Osmond also has a producer credit on the current Pyramid.  This is probably another in the vein of the Bob Barker/Peter Tomarken credits discussed above. [/quote]
 To be specific, Donny is the consulting producer.  BTW, Jeff Probst is now a producer for Survivor.

Drifting more toward producing, anyone notice just how many executive producers there are on prime time shows nowadays?  For example, Everybody Loves Raymond has eight EP's (including Ray Romano himself and former Make the Grade host Lew Schneider)!  Why do they need that many, and what exactly do they do besides sign paychecks?  I remember reading some years back that Whoopi Goldberg's EP title during her years on Hollywood Squares was little more than justifying her (large) salary.

ObGameShows: Anybody notice the credits in the April Fool's day edition of Cram?  Every credit was "executive producer"!