Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPiR meets Match Game  (Read 12367 times)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
TPiR meets Match Game
« Reply #60 on: June 06, 2011, 08:44:54 PM »
I'm 100% with you re: the Pass the Buck scenario. If you make all correct decisions and get LE on the first two picks, you are guaranteed nothing less than $1000, but of course if you pick anything less than the car, even if it's all 3 $ amounts, you still lose the game. Someone else here may have made the argument of the $1000 PtB guarantee; I wasn't trying to make that implication.

Obviously you didn't see my post a few posts back...

Mine was before yours, Nick, so I don't see why you're complaining- although you did raise another scenario I missed in my original post.

I don't understand how a $9,000 cash win can be constituted as a loss in anything other than Plinko (because of the odd rule quirk where it has to be a top prize win for it to be considered a win).
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Steve Gavazzi

TPiR meets Match Game
« Reply #61 on: June 06, 2011, 09:34:41 PM »
IIRC, Let 'Em Roll is the only current game where you are guaranteed to win something from the onset.
In addition to Any Number and Money Game, there's Ten Chances (unless you're a total idiot -- the bible even states that not winning the first prize is impossible).

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the only other PGs where you were always guaranteed to win something have all been retired: Mystery Price, Give or Keep, Finish Line, Double Digits and Trader Bob. (Grocery Game gave out grocery supplies in its first four playings.)
Shower Game.  Also, there was no guarantee of winning anything in Mystery Price or Double Digits.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 09:34:58 PM by Steve Gavazzi »

TimK2003

TPiR meets Match Game
« Reply #62 on: June 06, 2011, 11:47:34 PM »
IIRC, Let 'Em Roll is the only current game where you are guaranteed to win something from the onset.
In addition to Any Number and Money Game, there's Ten Chances (unless you're a total idiot -- the bible even states that not winning the first prize is impossible).

Aren't you guaranteed to win at least $1.00 in the Grand Game?  I thought it was always said that if you reach the $1,000 level, and miss on the final guess for the $10K, that "...you fall back to $1".  And if you hit an over-target prize at the $10 or $100 levels, you get to keep the $10 or $100 accordingly without dropping back.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
TPiR meets Match Game
« Reply #63 on: June 07, 2011, 12:45:34 AM »
I thought it was always said that if you reach the $1,000 level, and miss on the final guess for the $10K, that "...you fall back to $1".
I never heard that once in the thirty-plus years they've been playing the game.
Travis L. Eberle

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
TPiR meets Match Game
« Reply #64 on: June 07, 2011, 12:56:23 AM »
Aren't you guaranteed to win at least $1.00 in the Grand Game?  I thought it was always said that if you reach the $1,000 level, and miss on the final guess for the $10K, that "...you fall back to $1".  
The verbiage Barker used was close to this: "If you go for it and are wrong, you don't get $10,000 and you lose the $1,000.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

wdm1219inpenna

TPiR meets Match Game
« Reply #65 on: June 07, 2011, 03:47:28 AM »
Aren't you guaranteed to win at least $1.00 in the Grand Game?  I thought it was always said that if you reach the $1,000 level, and miss on the final guess for the $10K, that "...you fall back to $1".  
The verbiage Barker used was close to this: "If you go for it and are wrong, you don't get $10,000 and you lose the $1,000.

My understanding of the rules are that if you do not reach $1,000, you win whatever is on the board ($1.00, $10.00 or $100.00).  If you have $1,000.00 and try to win $10,000.00 and select one of the 2 products that are higher than the target price, you end up winning $0.00.

I'm surprised with inflation that the game doesn't go to $20,000, though I believe it's one of the easier games to win at times.  The only change I'd make to the game is I'd have the 2 "bad" products' prices be red with white font so it stands out more.

This is, to the best of my knowledge, the only pricing game that does not involve any of the models.

Brian44

TPiR meets Match Game
« Reply #66 on: June 07, 2011, 03:58:14 AM »

If you are wrong on the first pick, you do win $1; Bob poked fun at many a contestant when this happened. But if you gamble the $1000 and don't win the $10K, you really do walk away with nothing. Therefore, the $1 win is not guaranteed.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
TPiR meets Match Game
« Reply #67 on: June 07, 2011, 10:41:00 AM »
The only change I'd make to the game is I'd have the 2 "bad" products' prices be red with white font so it stands out more.
The buzzer and losing horns don't make it blatantly obvious?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 10:41:13 AM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Mr. Armadillo

TPiR meets Match Game
« Reply #68 on: June 07, 2011, 02:31:16 PM »
Not if you're deaf or watching on a muted TV.  

That said, it'd still be a pointless change, unless you're completely clueless about how numbers work.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
TPiR meets Match Game
« Reply #69 on: June 10, 2011, 12:17:11 AM »
I think the reason Pick-A-Number is coming up so often isn't just because of the lame binary/ternary (hey, I learned a word today!) format, but because the prop itself is just plain FUGLY. I mean, it's awful. The colors are garish, the font they use for the numbers is horrible, it's just bad.
I absolutely could not give a tinker's damn about green-orange-yellow or the font. If I decide to make the pilgrimage, ride the pine for however long, get called to Come on Down! and win my way up on stage, I'd like to be able to use some knowledge or common sense to improve my lie on whatever game I'm playing. When the game is Pick-a-Number, the prize has something impossible to quantify (ten visits with a personal trainer, I think it was) and the digit to be selected is the ones digit, well, I may as well pluck something out of thin air, shouldn't I? If the digit to be chosen is the thousands place, well, that's at least asking me to use some of that knowledge/sense to win whatever monstrosity was foisted upon me, so at least I have that. That's the problem I have with several of the one-decision games; that many times you're expected to blindly guess the right answer.
Travis L. Eberle

Steve Gavazzi

TPiR meets Match Game
« Reply #70 on: June 10, 2011, 12:41:33 AM »
When the game is Pick-a-Number, the prize has something impossible to quantify (ten visits with a personal trainer, I think it was) and the digit to be selected is the ones digit, well, I may as well pluck something out of thin air, shouldn't I? If the digit to be chosen is the thousands place, well, that's at least asking me to use some of that knowledge/sense to win whatever monstrosity was foisted upon me, so at least I have that.
In all fairness, Pick-a-Number is sometimes (...okay, was sometimes) set up this way to go for an easy win.  If the choices for the ones digit are, say, 3, 8, and 0, they usually want you to pick 0.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
TPiR meets Match Game
« Reply #71 on: June 10, 2011, 01:44:17 AM »
That's the problem I have with several of the one-decision games; that many times you're expected to blindly guess the right answer.
Do not disagree, at all. I was simply postulating why Pick-A-Number comes up for execution more often than the other blind-guess games.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
TPiR meets Match Game
« Reply #72 on: June 10, 2011, 02:15:17 AM »
When the game is Pick-a-Number, the prize has something impossible to quantify (ten visits with a personal trainer, I think it was) and the digit to be selected is the ones digit, well, I may as well pluck something out of thin air, shouldn't I?
Ten massages "at a spa of your choice", which I remember seeing; I felt really uncomfortable by it, and moreso when it was revealed the contestant had to pick the last digit, partly because 1) the choices were 3-5-7 and 2) you can't possibly know which spa the contestant will go to and how much their massages cost.

Didn't help that it led off a show that also had Drew acting uber-childish in Hi-Lo and Amber massively botching Switch?, to the point where I figured all three games were going to be retired.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 06:05:00 PM by Dan88 »
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...