Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPiR meets Match Game  (Read 12368 times)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
TPiR meets Match Game
« on: May 31, 2011, 03:45:03 AM »
If I could get rid of one pricing game, it would be <BLANK>.

My vote goes to Bullseye.  The game is ridiculously easy to win in comparison to every other game that uses grocery items.  The fact you can lowball it three times and still win...while one screw-up in Hi-Lo (and others) means you lose sits rather poorly with me.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Brian44

TPiR meets Match Game
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 03:54:04 AM »
Pick-A-Number.  Dull concept, dull appearance.

WhammyPower

TPiR meets Match Game
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 04:33:01 AM »
Magic Number.  Seems like contestants just can't play the game right.

See last Friday if you need an example.

whewfan

TPiR meets Match Game
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 06:09:53 AM »

Didn't Roger say that was one of his least favorite games? Not only is it a dull concept, it's certainly not original, and there are other pricing games with the identical "fill in the missing number" concept that execute it MUCH better IMO (Golden Road, Switcheroo) and one other game that had an identical concept, but poor execution (Gallery Game)

That's Too Much gets my vote on "game I'd most like to see retired". Without Barker's insistence on saying "THAT'S TOO MUCH" with authority, the game is otherwise not much fun to watch. (there are several pricing games that Drew could execute better, but that's derailing from the original topic)

Jeremy Nelson

TPiR meets Match Game
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 08:23:50 AM »

See last Friday if you need an example.
I remember someone saying that $1700 just about always wins this game, but I've seen contestants set the thing at 500 something...and then there was that contestant last season who kept tinkering with the lever to get the price exactly right, and the game went on waaaay longer than expected.

I'd have to go with Pick a Number too- the game has always been ne of my least favorites, and the name is so generic.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

alfonzos

TPiR meets Match Game
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 05:41:56 PM »
I agree.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

cliffhanger285

TPiR meets Match Game
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 07:43:54 PM »
Most Expensive. It's kinda boring IMHO.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
TPiR meets Match Game
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 10:51:39 PM »
My vote goes to Bullseye.  The game is ridiculously easy to win in comparison to every other game that uses grocery items.  The fact you can lowball it three times and still win...while one screw-up in Hi-Lo (and others) means you lose
Funny thing about that, that such a ridiculously easy game to win can be lost by people who aren't just taking one of each to win by the fluke way, but actually trying to hit the target. Bullseye is a clever twist on the Grocery Game.

sits rather poorly with me.
/actually that was the polenta.

Really? They don't get that you set the number between the two prizes? Maybe they have a hard time winning, but I doubt they're not getting the idea.

Most Expensive. It's kinda boring IMHO.
Get used to the boring games, as it seems that you're going to get three of them per episode.

For me the two games that would be first on the chopping block are Half-Off, Let 'em Roll and Pass the Buck. I think there are ways to make them interesting, but Mark's labored setup didn't ask what games to tweak.
Travis L. Eberle

Neumms

TPiR meets Match Game
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 01:12:23 AM »
Squeeze Play. Because the prop is even uglier than Pick-a-Number and the chance of winning is about the same.

Or Money Game. Its prop is ugly. They play it too much. The basic conceit of the game, that you get the pittance in cash, is even dopier now than it was in 1974. And five-digit car prices screwed it up so now there's an obvious block of front two choices and another of back two choices. Seems like by now they could have taken the pairs-of-digits idea and turned it into something more colorful.

Or Bonus Game. Shell Game is the same thing but by choosing shells, more than one small prize actually matters. If they have to keep Bonus Game, then make the four prizes bigger and make the bonus cash so it actually feels like a bonus, as in something extra. (The old Shell Game counter and sign were more conceptual and iconic than the current all-in-one counter, though.)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
TPiR meets Match Game
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 01:23:34 AM »
Squeeze Play. Because the prop is even uglier than Pick-a-Number
(The old Shell Game counter and sign were more conceptual and iconic than the current all-in-one counter, though.)
So, wait, the Shell Game counter is iconic, but the Squeeze Play prop is ugly?

Um, pick one.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
TPiR meets Match Game
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2011, 01:51:25 AM »
If they have to keep Bonus Game, then make the four prizes bigger and make the bonus cash so it actually feels like a bonus, as in something extra.
Aside from the fact that your credibility was shot to bits from the Pyramid thing, you're going to say that a bonus prize isn't bonus enough.

I don't think we've had a wow in a long time, so "Wow."
Travis L. Eberle

chad1m

TPiR meets Match Game
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2011, 01:53:12 AM »
Half-Off, Let 'em Roll and Pass the Buck.
Aww, those are probably in my top ten of favorite games.

I could live without ever seeing Stack the Deck played again. I haven't liked it since it debuted, "good" setups or not.

MTCesquire

TPiR meets Match Game
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2011, 02:26:42 AM »
Secret X is dull to me.  If they pulled it from the lineup tomorrow I wouldn't shed a tear.

Also since they dumbed down Card Game with the $1,000 to $5,000 deck it hasn't been as enjoyable to me.  They can toss that aside, too.

LA the DJ

TPiR meets Match Game
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2011, 05:17:33 AM »
Definitely either Stack the Deck or Pick a Number. Any game that requires you to know the tens or ones digit in a $1,000+ item seems ridiculous. It goes from being about knowing the value of an item to being "guess a number".
Help control the moron population, if you know a moron, kick him in a strategic location.

Mr. Armadillo

TPiR meets Match Game
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2011, 08:43:27 AM »
For me the two games that would be first on the chopping block are Half-Off, Let 'em Roll and Pass the Buck.
This is why they retired Hit Me.  :-P