Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: NBC's Win it & FOX's Money Drop - R.I.P.  (Read 9018 times)

The Ol' Guy

NBC's Win it & FOX's Money Drop - R.I.P.
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2011, 08:32:45 PM »
I understand the economics behind the hour-long games, but wouldn't it be better in the long run for networks to put two strong half-hour games back-to-back in prime time? A good game at a faster pace could make you hungry for more vs. will this dragging hour of stretch never end? Both of these shows would have been better off at 30 minutes. Good ratings=happy sponsors=more profits. I know I'm preaching to the choir, but I can't fathom the depths of network stupidity. They know the cost of everything, but the value of nothing. Grrrr!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 08:34:15 PM by The Ol' Guy »

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2011, 08:57:34 PM »
I enjoyed the underlying game in Downfall
I've never seen an episode of this masterpiece. What was compelling about the underlying game? Disregarding the concept of pushing replicas of prizes off a roof, was there more to it than merely quiz questions and answers? If the underlying game was so compelling, why couldn't someone make a show of it alone and dispense with pushing grandfather clocks over the edge?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 09:09:58 PM by chris319 »

cliffhanger285

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2011, 09:04:03 PM »
Downfall- meh.
M2WI- thank God.
MDMD- meh.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2011, 09:25:23 PM »
I enjoyed the underlying game in Downfall
I've never seen an episode of this masterpiece. What was compelling about the underlying game? Disregarding the concept of pushing replicas of prizes off a roof, was there more to it than merely quiz questions and answers? If the underlying game was so compelling, why couldn't someone make a show of it alone and dispense with pushing grandfather clocks over the edge?
Well, I merely said "enjoyed".  "Compelling" is much too strong a word.  It was simply rapid-fire short-answer Q&A tied to various categories.  It could easily have been played against a running clock, they just substituted a conveyer belt of prizes falling off a roof as the gimmick that sold the show.

To a viewer like me who likes to be challenged with actual trivia questions, the fact that they actually asked a bunch in an hour was appealing.  But no, I never meant to suggest that the underlying game had "classic" written all over it.  Just a reasonably well-structured quiz.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2011, 09:31:36 PM »
I just mustered the fortitude to watch part of an episode on YouTube. They're basically Jeopardy! clues: "Home to Half Dome". "What is Yosemite?" No wonder you like it :-) Nothing particularly innovative about the Q&A part. I didn't feel a great sense of tragedy as the dance lessons represented by a mirror ball went off the belt.

Chris Jericho had a good handle on the format but sounds too much like a professional wrestler.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 09:33:43 PM by chris319 »

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2011, 11:15:41 PM »
The thing about Downfall was that you weren't going to get more game out of an hour of prime time TV. The fact that the whole premise was run through the Prime Time Game Show-inator meant you got the money ladder, lifelines and the contestants who weren't going to get anywhere near the pinnacle of the money. The thing about the belt is that it provided a clever (if tenuous) way to show how much time was left. In the same way that Cliff Hangers would be just another game if you totaled up the "wrongness" on an eggcrate, yes you could play Downfall against a clock-on-stage, but you'd lose the visual metaphor, plus there was that whole angle of every time you passed something the clock would speed up.

I doubt it would have gotten renewed even if stripped of the various "in" trappings, but I got what they were going for and enjoyed it for that.
Travis L. Eberle

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2011, 12:04:35 AM »
One thing about Downfall stood out glaringly: the contestant sees the prize go off the edge but does not see it crash to the ground. Perhaps the so-called producers envisioned pain and agony on the contestant's face when a washing machine rolled off the belt destined for the pavement below, but alas. My reaction to seeing prizes go off the edge was "meh, who cares?"

Cliffhangers simply has a cute little avatar which serves its purpose well, and which is not intended to impart as much in the way of dramatic effect.

I can understand why the networks are so keen on shows which have already established themselves abroad.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 12:43:18 AM by chris319 »

brianhenke

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2011, 01:44:54 PM »
NBC and FOX have announced their Fall schedules. NBC is dropping Minute to Win It and FOX is not bringing back Million Dollar Money Drop. Buzzerblog has confirmed MTWI not returning. That show may wind up in reruns on GSN or The Hub.

Two down, eight to go, Miss Francis

Minute to Win It is more suited for GSN than The Hub.

Incidentally, MTWI has replaced Wheel as the Kids' Meal choice at Wendy's.

Brian
Johnny Cash sang "I Have the Wine"?

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2011, 09:53:31 PM »
NBC and FOX have announced their Fall schedules. NBC is dropping Minute to Win It and FOX is not bringing back Million Dollar Money Drop. Buzzerblog has confirmed MTWI not returning. That show may wind up in reruns on GSN or The Hub.

Two down, eight to go, Miss Francis

Minute to Win It is more suited for GSN than The Hub.

Incidentally, MTWI has replaced Wheel as the Kids' Meal choice at Wendy's.
Here's hoping Distraction completes the trifecta.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

vexer6

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2011, 05:53:43 PM »
If it makes up for the loss of "The Drop", Fox is bringing "Napoleon Dynamite" to the schedule (original cast members voicing their animated characters).
Quite honestly, I'd rather have MDMD.  Napoleon Dynamite was one of the biggest pieces of shit to hit the screen in the last 10 years.
MDMD in its current execution? No thank you- I'd rather have Napoleon Dynamite.

I'm not a "Napoleon Dynamite" fan by any means, nor was I really a fan of MDMD.  To this day, I still cannot fathom why the movie was so popular.  The common thread between both MDMD and ND is that scenes were painfully stretched out in both for no real reason.
I don't get what the big deal about that movie was either(Heder was better in School For Scoundrels IMO) I can't believe it's actually getting a damn TV show! I REALLY hope it gets cancelled ultra-fast. MDMD was "OK" But it would've been alot better if it wasn't "all or nothing" There should've at least been a consolation prize or something, and yes it did have an unnecessary amount of padding(though it's not quite as big of an offender in that area as "Deal Or No Deal" was, how the hell did that show last for 4 years?) Downfall was pretty fun, I enjoyed seeing the replicas get smashed to bits.  "Minute" was alright, but Supercoin was what really killed the show, the odds of anyone actually winning at that game(outside of divine intervention or cheating) were like a trillion to one, I want to strangle whoever thought up that infernal game!  I'm really starting to miss all the Millionare rip-offs, espeically since Millionare itself is seriously wearing out it's welcome, that new "shuffle" format just isn't cutting it.

pacdude

« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2011, 07:59:13 PM »
If it makes up for the loss of "The Drop", Fox is bringing "Napoleon Dynamite" to the schedule (original cast members voicing their animated characters).
Quite honestly, I'd rather have MDMD.  Napoleon Dynamite was one of the biggest pieces of shit to hit the screen in the last 10 years.
MDMD in its current execution? No thank you- I'd rather have Napoleon Dynamite.

I'm not a "Napoleon Dynamite" fan by any means, nor was I really a fan of MDMD.  To this day, I still cannot fathom why the movie was so popular.  The common thread between both MDMD and ND is that scenes were painfully stretched out in both for no real reason.
I don't get what the big deal about that movie was either(Heder was better in School For Scoundrels IMO) I can't believe it's actually getting a damn TV show! I REALLY hope it gets cancelled ultra-fast. MDMD was "OK" But it would've been alot better if it wasn't "all or nothing" There should've at least been a consolation prize or something, and yes it did have an unnecessary amount of padding(though it's not quite as big of an offender in that area as "Deal Or No Deal" was, how the hell did that show last for 4 years?) Downfall was pretty fun, I enjoyed seeing the replicas get smashed to bits.  "Minute" was alright, but Supercoin was what really killed the show, the odds of anyone actually winning at that game(outside of divine intervention or cheating) were like a trillion to one, I want to strangle whoever thought up that infernal game!  I'm really starting to miss all the Millionare rip-offs, espeically since Millionare itself is seriously wearing out it's welcome, that new "shuffle" format just isn't cutting it.

Welcome to the board! I can tell you're really excited to get involved in the community. I would, however, guide you toward not re-bumping topics that have laid dormant for a few months. It's not an official rule, but it's pet peeve of some people.

vexer6

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2011, 08:08:24 PM »
Thanks man! I know necro-bumping irritates people, so i'll try to refrain from doing it in the future

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2011, 08:48:37 PM »
I'm guessing vexer isn't a big movie fan. To me, it's the equivalent of saying John Waters' appearance in Jackass Number Two was more important or better than any of his films.
(re: ND v. SFS)
/apologies for adding to the unnecessary bumping of a dead topic
//MTWI will be back in due course, NBC is probably just waiting for the inevitable failure of at least one new series
///yes, John Waters really was in that film, look it up
////seriously, vexer, welcome aboard and hope ya like it here.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 08:50:50 PM by PYLdude »
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

vexer6

« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2011, 09:46:56 PM »
Actually i'm a big movie fan, I just tend to like alot of films which most people hate and hate alot of films that most people love, i'm weird like that!  Anyways I won't miss Minute or MDMD too much, but they were still better then a POS show like "Deal Or No Deal" or even worse- "Temptation"

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2011, 12:43:40 AM »
I really don't see why you rank DOND as the worst of all time when so many better examples exist, but to each his own.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022