Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Something you miss from the Past...  (Read 12349 times)

Matt Ottinger

Something you miss from the Past...
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2011, 02:33:47 PM »
Besides, it's more fun to watch 30 seconds of flubbing than a 30-second pregnant pause just to reveal one freakin' answer!
Disagrees.
Oh, my.  To compare the master of timing to the ham-fisted, brain-clogged modern game show method shows a pretty light grasp on the concept of "timing".
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

GrandGame1440

« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2011, 05:10:20 PM »
Oh, my.  To compare the master of timing to the ham-fisted, brain-clogged modern game show method shows a pretty light grasp on the concept of "timing".

Jokes Matt, jokes. :)

/doesn't watch enough modern game shows to notice.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2011, 06:59:06 PM »
I think the joke was that ol' Jack was tight enough with a penny that if he was a game show producer and thought he could get away with it, he'd have a 30-MINUTE pregnant pause between each question and answer. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2011, 07:23:43 PM »
I think the joke was that ol' Jack was tight enough with a penny that if he was a game show producer and thought he could get away with it, he'd have a 30-MINUTE pregnant pause between each question and answer. :)
I thought the reply was just because of his all-too-often pregnant pauses after jokes.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 07:24:14 PM by Jeremy Nelson »
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

saussage

« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2011, 11:18:21 PM »
My mind must be playing tricks on me. Do they still put the gold stuff on the floor to mimic a golden road on TPIR Golden Road? I may not miss it, but it showed well on the set imo.

Other than that, I do miss 2 things from WOF:

1) the free spin wedge. It was like collecting poker chips.

2) And of course, I miss Vanna White actually being of use on WOF in being a letter turner. I always loved mechanics on game shows other than Classic Concentration which is one of the only game shows that going computerized actually helped the show out. Computerizing WOF made Vanna's job obsolete. If they did the changeover to a newer puzzle board technology in 2011, the option of using OLED overlays for each letter on the old puzzle board would have meant the old puzzle board could have been reused. Why would you do this? Keep the aesthetics of the old board, still give Vanna a job to do, and she could prep the board for a toss-up round by having all the letters pre-turned and lighting up each letter on OLED displays remotely as needed. Oh yeah, I almost forgot, they could toss out all the letter overlays too. Of course, 3 of my 4 reasons are already addressed with the current puzzle board. It just feels out of place having Vanna there other than that there's always been a woman standing next to the puzzle board. Maybe that's too much wishful thinking and a bit off topic.
Don't think too hard... you might give yourself a headache.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2011, 11:49:58 PM »
other than Classic Concentration which is one of the only game shows that going computerized actually helped the show out.
I could not disagree with this more.

If they did the changeover to a newer puzzle board technology in 2011, the option of using OLED overlays for each letter on the old puzzle board would have meant the old puzzle board could have been reused. Why would you do this?
Precisely. Why would you do that?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

J.R.

« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2011, 02:07:33 AM »
It just feels out of place having Vanna there other than that there's always been a woman standing next to the puzzle board. Maybe that's too much wishful thinking and a bit off topic.
Do you think she's a flat-chested bimbo too?
-Joe Raygor

saussage

« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2011, 09:35:10 PM »
It just feels out of place having Vanna there other than that there's always been a woman standing next to the puzzle board. Maybe that's too much wishful thinking and a bit off topic.
Now that's what I call going off topic.
Don't think too hard... you might give yourself a headache.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2011, 12:21:27 AM »
Now that's what I call going off topic.
No, what it means (to no surprise) is that you missed the joke.
--Mark
Phil 4:13