Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Something you miss from the Past...  (Read 12350 times)

Steve Gavazzi

Something you miss from the Past...
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2011, 01:58:17 AM »
The first thing that came to my mind was, "Now entering the studio are today's contestants ..."
If I remember correctly, they retired that tactic not too long after Eddie Timanus was on the show, didn't they?
Really?  I didn't think they changed it until the start of the next season, or maybe even the one after that.

BrandonFG

« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2011, 02:06:31 AM »
The first thing that came to my mind was, "Now entering the studio are today's contestants ..."
If I remember correctly, they retired that tactic not too long after Eddie Timanus was on the show, didn't they?
Really?  I didn't think they changed it until the start of the next season, or maybe even the one after that.
The start of the 2000-01 season at the latest. Below is the '00 season premiere.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujg6JYpEUcc&feature=related

Meanwhile, this clip from February '00 still has the contestants walking in...

For some reason, I thought it was 1998 or '99...

Oh, and going hand-in-hand with how I miss the list of sponsors being displayed against a shot of a set element, how could I miss fee plugs, with the announcer taking 40 seconds to read about Lee Press-On-Nails, Rice-A-Roni, Hawaiian Tropic and Bedsack bedding. None of these prerecorded commercials, give me the KFC gift certificate. ;-)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 02:09:28 AM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

spb1962

« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2011, 09:59:10 AM »
I miss complaining about network game shows being preempted on our local station.  I didn't mind when soaps were preempted, but it wasn't as common as games.

William_S.

« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2011, 10:48:55 PM »
Ok I didn't like the last post I made so I'm redoing because it didn't sound that original .

For me, going with TPIR on this one it'll be "Deluxe/Special/Plus/Super" games. Games like Dice Game Deluxe, 3 Strikes+ , Deluxe Lucky seven? These games were made because of a prize that goes into the 5th digit, or a prize that is so high in value, or was played for a car in which were usually not. Nowadays you just get a revamped game that coincidentally added a number (mainly for night time) or increased it's value just for the sake of being new. nothing special nothing that really stands out as that "Special" game. I miss that.

wheeloon: Mark owes me a 25% fee for chiming in on this initial discussion in Palace... ;)
Hey whatever happened to palace? It's like one night in November or December , we were playing Jeopardy. And then all of a sudden 404.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 08:31:58 PM by William_S. »

Kevin Prather

« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2011, 01:11:43 AM »
wheeloon: Mark owes me a 25% fee for chiming in on this initial discussion in Palace... ;)
Hey what ever happened to palace? It's like one night in November or December , we were playing Jeopardy. And then all of a sudden 404.
It moved. Check your email.

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2011, 10:11:13 AM »
For me, Going with TPIR on this one it'll be "Deluxe/Special/Plus/Super" games. Games like Dice Game Deluxe, 3 Strikes+ , Deluxe Lucky seven?
If we're talking purely about names, there was never any such thing as "Deluxe Lucky $even."

Brian44

« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2011, 11:01:43 AM »
Contestants actually making up their own minds in TPIR pricing games.  What a novel idea.  

Maybe this is all Barker's fault because I recall watching several '70s shows in which the contestants actually asked Bob if they could look to the audience for help and Bob always said, "Sure!"

By the '80s you had contestants asking the Peanut Gallery which numbers to pick in Spelling Bee and which shell to place their chip beside in Shell Game.  Bob would most always sardonically ask, "Now what makes you think they know any more than you do?" and 99% of the time the contestants would just laugh off his question.

The young lady playing 3 Strikes yesterday never looked to the audience once as she picked numbers and I felt she was the most deserving contestant to ever win the game.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 11:02:33 AM by Brian44 »

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2011, 09:18:42 AM »
For me, Going with TPIR on this one it'll be "Deluxe/Special/Plus/Super" games. Games like Dice Game Deluxe, 3 Strikes+ , Deluxe Lucky seven?
If we're talking purely about names, there was never any such thing as "Deluxe Lucky $even."
No Special or Super games either, but Money Game did become Big Money Game.

That's a very small thing to miss...especially because you weren't guaranteed to see any of thoe games on a given episode let alone in enhanced form. But to each his own.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

The Pyramids

« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2011, 09:53:07 AM »
Ian W. touched on this once. I miss the 'live on tape' aspect of game shows that are missing from the edited shows we have today.

BillCullen1

« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2011, 11:58:17 AM »
[quote name='Jay Temple' For some reason, I thought it was 1998 or '99...

Oh, and going hand-in-hand with how I miss the list of sponsors being displayed against a shot of a set element, how could I miss fee plugs, with the announcer taking 40 seconds to read about Lee Press-On-Nails, Rice-A-Roni, Hawaiian Tropic and Bedsack bedding. None of these prerecorded commercials, give me the KFC gift certificate. ;-)

I agree (X gets the square)

TheInquisitiveOne

« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2011, 07:51:17 PM »
There's a lot of these, I agree with. However, one thing that has not been mentioned that sprung to mind was...spontaneity.

I enjoyed when mistakes were made or things went against the standard plan of the show (i.e. hosts flubbing lines and laughing it off, or Pat/Chuck landing on Bankrupt/Lose A Turn) and, unless it was severe enough to stop production, the editors kept it in. It made the show feel more natural and enjoyable.

Now, even the slightest flub gets edited out, and it just feels sterile to me. I hope I'm not the only one who thinks it, but I enjoyed the "just go with it" attitude.

The Inquisitive One
This is the Way.

BrandonFG

« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2011, 08:07:58 PM »
There's a lot of these, I agree with. However, one thing that has not been mentioned that sprung to mind was...spontaneity.

I enjoyed when mistakes were made or things went against the standard plan of the show (i.e. hosts flubbing lines and laughing it off, or Pat/Chuck landing on Bankrupt/Lose A Turn) and, unless it was severe enough to stop production, the editors kept it in. It made the show feel more natural and enjoyable.

Now, even the slightest flub gets edited out, and it just feels sterile to me. I hope I'm not the only one who thinks it, but I enjoyed the "just go with it" attitude.
It was...referred to as shows being shot "live on tape". But I agree 100%. The idea of taking 6 hours to record a show just so it can be perfect is ridiculous. I like the little bloopers being left in.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Chief-O

« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2011, 08:32:41 PM »
The live to tape aspect is certainly one thing I miss. That, and contestants who didn't act as though they were "coached" before the show on how to act, what to say, etc.

A thread on golden-road.net also reminded me of another thing I miss---the "Pink Panther" theme music used for Safe Crackers on TPIR.
.....and it goes like this!!!

TimK2003

« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2011, 10:34:51 PM »

It was...referred to as shows being shot "live on tape". But I agree 100%. The idea of taking 6 hours to record a show just so it can be perfect is ridiculous. I like the little bloopers being left in.

I definitely agree!!!  Besides, it's more fun to watch 30 seconds of flubbing than a 30-second pregnant pause just to reveal one freakin' answer!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 10:35:02 PM by TimK2003 »

GrandGame1440

« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2011, 01:21:54 PM »
Besides, it's more fun to watch 30 seconds of flubbing than a 30-second pregnant pause just to reveal one freakin' answer!

Disagrees.