Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Something you miss from the Past...  (Read 12351 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Something you miss from the Past...
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2011, 04:35:44 PM »
TV meteorologists (read: weathermen)
Actually, no, how about we make the distinction between those who have actually had the training and certification to call themselves "meteorologists" and those who haven't.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2011, 06:55:35 PM »
Didn't stop Groucho or Dawson from becoming successful hosts; or Jan Murray for that matter. But I was thinking back to when producers believed that local radio deejays and/or TV meteorologists (read: weathermen) had the potential to become game show emcees. Now, unless you're a stand-up comic or former sitcom regular, forget it!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but originally, many hosts were taken from radio. Then stage acting became the pool. Then for a while, it was just members of the game show host sanctum. Now, they're grabbing comedians. Whatever seems to be the most popular entertainment pool at a given time is where they're grabbing these hosts from. So same concept the whole time, just different talent pools.

I agree with the Double Jeopardy red- I think it defined the round because the red emphasized that the game was entering crunch time.

I miss Wheel of Fortune having a theme song, and actually using that music when they cut to commercial. I really don't like the tracks they're using now.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

bradhig

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2011, 07:42:13 PM »
The turntable of prizes on Wheel of Fortune and when the contestants heads went flying around the various prize displays.    Too bad the daytime didn't keep that format when it went to CBS.

The displays behind the contestants on Wheel of Fortune that displayed the total winnings.  They could have them at the beginning of rounds like they do with the totals above the puzzle board for a minute.

I miss the crawl boards on price is right used for the credits ,ticket plugs ,trips , etc.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 07:54:08 PM by bradhig »

TimK2003

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2011, 09:24:36 PM »
Here's one that has been missed, and was more of the rule than the exception back in the old days:

I miss game shows in which there were celebrities -- either as part of a civilian's team or as part of the panel (Match Game, Hollywood Squares,...) -- AND the producers made sure that the celebs knew how to play the game.

Jay Temple

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2011, 09:56:50 PM »
The first thing that came to my mind was, "Now entering the studio are today's contestants ..."
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

petek66

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2011, 10:00:04 PM »
"A Mark Goodson-Bill Todman Production"

Unrealtor

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2011, 10:52:49 PM »
I miss the audience murmur then quick hush at the top of "Jeopardy!" That opening was better all around. The music (such as it was) said exciting competition, rather than the current music, "if you're under 60 you should be doing something else." The exploding globe would look dated now but was cool. Contestants walking in made a better visual than them being in place already.

This. I loved the opening with the introduction to the main theme and the contestants walking in. Also, by the time I was old enough to remember, they weren't using the first few bars of the opening outside of tournament finals, which always seemed to add to the drama when it was played in full.

I miss physical game boards. I can understand why Wheel dropped theirs (and the current incarnations of Feud and J! never had them at all), but you do lose a little something when your entire set consists of 40 monitors, one host lectern, a couple sliding glass doors, and a bunch of abstract shapes (as is the case with Jeopardy at the moment.)

Also, seeing set pieces rotate, fly in, etc. These days, teleportation via jump cut seems to be the norm.

Live-to-tape, at least in part. Partly because of my previous paragraph, partly for the little bit of behind-the-scenes glimpses that we could see because it wasn't worth it to stop down and reshoot. I don't think that any modern show would leave in the Super Password board's frequent malfunctions or even  the "we'll check the tape and tell you if you won after the break" moments that Pyramid occasionally had after a close call in the Winner's Circle. However, I don't miss the breakneck final rounds or the looooong stretches that were occasionally necessary to bring a show in on time.
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2011, 10:56:28 PM »
The first thing that came to my mind was, "Now entering the studio are today's contestants ..."
If I remember correctly, they retired that tactic not too long after Eddie Timanus was on the show, didn't they?
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Unrealtor

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2011, 11:11:49 PM »
If I remember correctly, they retired that tactic not too long after Eddie Timanus was on the show, didn't they?

I was remembering the same thing. I think there was only a couple of weeks after his appearance.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2011, 11:24:57 PM »
Ya gonna castrate me over a difference of one? Go ahead, I'll wait in my chamber. That is... unless you wanna actually contribute to the topic next time.
It isn't a "difference of one." Or a difference of 100%. It is that people don't seem to understand the concept of Pick One Thing.

"Name your favorite five hundred movies of all time."

That's just dumb. Picking your favorite movie might be harsh and fruitless, but at least you can do it.

I miss the walls turning red for Double Jeopardy!.  No deep reason for it -- I just always thought it was cool.
The thing I like about the first spin of the day, or putting the board in motion/changing the backlight colors is that it set the tone. It told you that stuff was about to happen, and we've gone from the opening and get down to playing the game and winning stuff. I like those little transitions from the days of old.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but originally, many hosts were taken from radio. Then stage acting became the pool. Then for a while, it was just members of the game show host sanctum. Now, they're grabbing comedians. Whatever seems to be the most popular entertainment pool at a given time is where they're grabbing these hosts from. So same concept the whole time, just different talent pools.
I cannot for the life of me think of a single game show host who didn't have some other credit to his name before being a host.
Travis L. Eberle

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2011, 11:30:53 PM »
Good, melodic theme songs; and closing credits that wouldn't be squeezed for promos so you could actually enjoy the music!

You took my answer. I always enjoy it when Wheel or Jeopardy! gets done early and we get a long credits.

I cannot for the life of me think of a single game show host who didn't have some other credit to his name before being a host.

What else did David Sparks (of the New Cross-Wits) do? I'm sure he's not the British Z-list actor IMDb thinks he is.
Bobby Peacock

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2011, 12:10:27 AM »
Two that I think might come close were Merv's discoveries Rolf B. and Mike Reilly.  No professional broadcasting or acting, that I know of.  I had never heard of Jim McKrell, JD Roth, Frank Nicotero or Rossi Moreale before their game show gigs but I probably just didn't notice them before.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Unrealtor

« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2011, 12:17:02 AM »
Ya gonna castrate me over a difference of one? Go ahead, I'll wait in my chamber. That is... unless you wanna actually contribute to the topic next time.
It isn't a "difference of one." Or a difference of 100%. It is that people don't seem to understand the concept of Pick One Thing.

Or at least not be quite so defensive about it when you get called on it.

Personally, I blame my failure to count to one on the fact that I was somehow so oblivious to the "one" part of the original post that I didn't even get the problem with wheelloon's post until I read this one. Mea culpa.

/Clearly, I will not be getting a case of Turtle Wax, a year's supply of Rice-A-Roni, or a lousy copy of the Pick One Thing home game.
//Maybe I'll do better next weekend on The Price is Right.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2011, 12:17:45 AM »
Two that I think might come close were Merv's discoveries Rolf B.
NFL player?  
JD Roth
I believe he was a contestant on Star Search.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

ET206

« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2011, 01:31:09 AM »
Good, melodic theme songs; and closing credits that wouldn't be squeezed for promos so you could actually enjoy the music!

Totally agree!