Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Something you miss from the Past...  (Read 12352 times)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Something you miss from the Past...
« on: April 21, 2011, 12:57:03 AM »
In many game shows, especially long running ones, changes have been made throughout the years.  What is one[/b] thing you miss from the past?

Mine is the former intro to the bonus round on WoF...when the drumroll would sound and the lights would dim.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 12:57:41 AM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

wheelloon

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 01:16:12 AM »
In many game shows, especially long running ones, changes have been made throughout the years.  What is one[/b] thing you miss from the past?

Mine is the former intro to the bonus round on WoF...when the drumroll would sound and the lights would dim.

You been digging into my mind again? ;)

One other notable thing about Wheel I miss from back in the day was Pat (and/or Bob and/or Chuck and/or... Rolf) giving the Wheel the "First spin of the day" before intro-ing the first puzzle. It felt like the appropriate way to get things going each show. I won't go into pieces of certain sets that were swapped or those kinds of things with this though, we'll be here all year.

From Feud, I would like to see them do the original $5/point sequence with the total on the top scoreboard readout again (or just flashed on the bottom of the screen alternately), instead of just having Steve or whoever semi-awkwardly saying... "oh no... nooo, sorry, but that's okay, you still got $5/point... *pause* which is $755." The old way flows better and I think just looks better for TV, overall.

/Mark owes me a 25% fee for chiming in on this initial discussion in Palace... ;)
"I'm dressed as one of the most frightening figures known to man...

A TV game show host."--Pat Sajak

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 02:02:44 AM »
What is one[/b] thing you miss from the past?
One other notable thing about Wheel I miss from back in the day...

From Feud...
Those of you who had "the very first response" may collect your winnings at any open window...
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 03:25:52 AM »
Not only did Chuck(Pat/Rolf) spun the wheel the first time of the day, he'd spew the rules of the game.  It went something like this:

"Top $ value on the wheel for the first round is $750 but watch out for Bankrupt.  If you land on those, you lose your cash but not your merchandise because once you buy a prize, it's yours to keep",  Boy do I miss hearing that spiel.

Also, the announcer's famous ending words: "The prices of the prizes were furnished to the contestants prior to the show & have been rounded off to the nearest $.  Gift certificates do not include sales tax".

As far as TPIR goes, those classic ticket plugs they use to do during commercial breaks.  Sometimes, you see things that you normally wouldn't see(mainly backstage stuff).  I remember one such plug where there was some display that was scrolling repeating numbers(44444, 55555,66666, etc).  I think they ertr scrolling left to right.

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 08:40:05 AM »
I miss the walls turning red for Double Jeopardy!.  No deep reason for it -- I just always thought it was cool.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 08:40:34 AM by Steve Gavazzi »

tpirfan28

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 08:44:27 AM »
The Jeopardy! grid set.  Not only was it really cool looking, the way they did the "exploding globe" intro was neat.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Neumms

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 09:05:58 AM »
I miss the audience murmur then quick hush at the top of "Jeopardy!" That opening was better all around. The music (such as it was) said exciting competition, rather than the current music, "if you're under 60 you should be doing something else." The exploding globe would look dated now but was cool. Contestants walking in made a better visual than them being in place already.

gameshowcrazy

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 11:54:39 AM »
I miss the days of real game show hosts.

I’m tired of seeing comedians and has-beens put in as hosts; goes to show the producers really don’t know what makes a good game show.

Yeah, we’ve found a few good ones because of this, but several more bad ones.

BrandonFG

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 11:55:16 AM »
Many good choices. I think I'll go off the board and say the close-ups of a set element as the list of sponsors/contestant disclaimers flashed.

A lot of shows did that though (the wheel spinning on Wheel of Fortune, the big board border on PYL, one of the spires at the top of the Pyramid, etc). Kennedy's Split Second had a really cool effect where they'd insert the info into the game board slides.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Clay Zambo

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2011, 11:58:23 AM »
Two words.  Ceramic Dalmatians.
czambo@mac.com

wheelloon

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2011, 12:29:20 PM »
What is one[/b] thing you miss from the past?
One other notable thing about Wheel I miss from back in the day...

From Feud...
Those of you who had "the very first response" may collect your winnings at any open window...

Ya gonna castrate me over a difference of one? Go ahead, I'll wait in my chamber. That is... unless you wanna actually contribute to the topic next time.

I miss the walls turning red for Double Jeopardy!.  No deep reason for it -- I just always thought it was cool.

This too especially, though I agree with most of the suggestions thus far. I even liked how the Sushi Bar set looked in red... even though it seems I've seen mostly opinions to the contrary. I actually think it'd look really good on the current set as well (though doesn't the floor lighting supposedly turn red somewhat?).
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 01:04:29 PM by wheelloon »
"I'm dressed as one of the most frightening figures known to man...

A TV game show host."--Pat Sajak

wdm1219inpenna

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2011, 01:56:04 PM »
I miss quality major network daytime game shows, period from the past.  Price is Right and Let's Make a Deal are pretty much it now.  WWTBAM with Meredith is on 12:30pm EST on ABC where I live, but I don't know if it's on different networks at different times.  Price & LMAD seem to be network game shows, vs. syndicated.

I miss seeing a morning lineup on NBC featuring $ale of the Century, Classic Concentration, Wheel of Fortune, Scrabble, Super Password, WordPlay, and on CBS The $25,000 Pyramid, Card Sharks, The Price is Right.

That's something I miss from the past.  Sadly the world has changed so much, and now, not only have major network daytime game shows become nearly extinct, but soap operas as well.  After January 2012, there will be only 4 left, where once there were 10 - 12 per day.  A further sign of the times.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2011, 03:31:02 PM »
Good, melodic theme songs; and closing credits that wouldn't be squeezed for promos so you could actually enjoy the music!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 03:32:30 PM by Ian Wallis »
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

J.R.

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2011, 03:33:23 PM »
Count my vote for this too. Just made Round 2 feel... like a different round.

/One thing I liked about the 1995 UK Jeopardy was when they'd make the walls during FJ! purple.
-Joe Raygor

Winkfan

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2011, 04:22:09 PM »
I miss the days of real game show hosts.

I’m tired of seeing comedians and has-beens put in as hosts; goes to show the producers really don’t know what makes a good game show.

Didn't stop Groucho or Dawson from becoming successful hosts; or Jan Murray for that matter. But I was thinking back to when producers believed that local radio deejays and/or TV meteorologists (read: weathermen) had the potential to become game show emcees. Now, unless you're a stand-up comic or former sitcom regular, forget it!

Cordially,
Tammy
"I've never stopped. I've never changed. I never did anything else."
- The Real Don Steele (1936-1997)