Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPIR - April 18  (Read 8424 times)

tvwxman

TPIR - April 18
« on: April 18, 2011, 11:42:48 AM »
George Gray announced as the new announcer. Good choice - one of the better who auditioned for the gig.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Stevek83

TPIR - April 18
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 11:51:01 AM »
I Knew it! Between his home showcase video and his new blog, I suspected they made him the new announcer! I was also rooting for JD Roberto and Jeff Davis, but I'm happy with the choice.

Steve Gavazzi

TPIR - April 18
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 12:03:35 PM »
Hardly the best person who auditioned for the job; hardly the worst, either.  Much like Rich, actually.

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
TPIR - April 18
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 12:03:49 PM »
Fantastic news. He's a great fit. I'm very happy for him.
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

SamJ93

TPIR - April 18
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 12:05:31 PM »
Good choice.  Sometimes his delivery sounds a little forced, but overall he sounds much more polished and professional than Rich, or even Rod in his last few years.

I wonder what the reaction would be if one could time-travel back to ATGS circa 1998 or so, and tell them (us) that the host of Extreme Gong would be announcing TPiR in 13 years...
It's a well-known fact that Lincoln loved mayonnaise!

Jumpondees

TPIR - April 18
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 12:08:37 PM »
Despite his previous TV successes and failures, George does have a pretty good voice, plays pretty well off of Drew, and should fit in pretty well.  I kind of had the feeling that since we were seeing a lot more George in recent weeks, that it was only a matter of time before he became "official".

Matt Ottinger

TPIR - April 18
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 12:25:22 PM »
My impression is that "plays pretty well off Drew" was, far and away, the most important criterion, much more so than the sound of his voice or how well he reads copy.  I'd further guess that his good-natured sportsmanship during the April Fools episode went a long way toward cementing the offer.

Once again, purists probably will be up in arms, but frankly, I don't understand why they're even watching the show anymore.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

tvrandywest

TPIR - April 18
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 12:33:16 PM »
Despite his previous TV successes and failures, George does have a pretty good voice, plays pretty well off of Drew, and should fit in pretty well.  I kind of had the feeling that since we were seeing a lot more George in recent weeks, that it was only a matter of time before he became "official".
I'm glad the news is out so I can shout my public congratulations to George. From our work and converstaions together I know that George is a great choice for the gig. He's a total pro with amazing talent and natural instincts that are endearing to audiences, he's one of the most sincerely likeable people in the business, and he has been a good friend. While I consider him first and foremost a host, he'll be able to contribute so much from the announcer's podium.  

The long national nightmare is over!    ;-)

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
TPIR - April 18
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 01:06:54 PM »
George Gray announced as the new announcer. Good choice - one of the better who auditioned for the gig.
This pleases me greatly. I thought he and Jeff Davis were far and away the best candidates, leaning towards George. They got this one right.

I'd ask Steve who he thought was so far ahead of him for him to be "hardly" the best candidate (and if you're going to use the word "hardly," Steve, there really ought to be more than one name on that list), but we all know that will end badly, so I won't.

Once again, purists probably will be up in arms, but frankly, I don't understand why they're even watching the show anymore.
What would they have to bitch about if they didn't?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Steve Gavazzi

TPIR - April 18
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 01:38:59 PM »
This pleases me greatly. I thought he and Jeff Davis were far and away the best candidates, leaning towards George. They got this one right.

I'd ask Steve who he thought was so far ahead of him for him to be "hardly" the best candidate (and if you're going to use the word "hardly," Steve, there really ought to be more than one name on that list), but we all know that will end badly, so I won't.
You really think so?

I thought Jeff Davis and David Lawrence were much better at reading copy than George is, with David being my first choice.  On the other hand, Brad Sherwood and Steve White were so much worse that it's not even funny.  J.D. Roberto wasn't really anything but forgettable.

My impression is that "plays pretty well off Drew" was, far and away, the most important criterion, much more so than the sound of his voice or how well he reads copy.  I'd further guess that his good-natured sportsmanship during the April Fools episode went a long way toward cementing the offer.
I'm under the impression that George essentially had the job locked up long before the April Fool's Day show was taped.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 01:40:06 PM by Steve Gavazzi »

clemon79

TPIR - April 18
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2011, 01:59:31 PM »
You really think so?
About George being the best candidate? Yeah, I do. I enjoyed watching the show when he was on it the most.

I thought Jeff Davis and David Lawrence were much better at reading copy than George is, with David being my first choice. On the other hand, Brad Sherwood and Steve White were so much worse that it's not even funny.  J.D. Roberto wasn't really anything but forgettable.
Fair enough. We disagree, but life would be boring if everyone agreed (also if you and I agreed more often than not I think it would be a sign of the Apocalypse :)) and in my eyes your opinion above more than backs up your initial statement. S'all good and I apologize for expecting the worst from the exchange.

Steve Gavazzi

TPIR - April 18
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2011, 02:25:37 PM »
You really think so?
About George being the best candidate?
Actually, I meant that with regard to the conversation ending badly...but eh.  My fault for not making that more clear.

Kevin Prather

TPIR - April 18
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2011, 03:12:33 PM »
So how many game-show-hosts-turned-announcers are there now? I can think of Grey and Gary Kroeger. Was Jack Clark a host before he started announcing?

clemon79

TPIR - April 18
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2011, 03:25:04 PM »
Was Jack Clark a host before he started announcing?
Get off my lawn, you little bastard. :)

/yes, Crosswits and Dealer's Choice, at least
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 03:25:15 PM by clemon79 »

MikeK

• Martha!
TPIR - April 18
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2011, 03:36:00 PM »
So how many game-show-hosts-turned-announcers are there now? I can think of Grey and Gary Kroeger.
Johnny Gilbert, Art James, Gene Wood, Joey Fatone (with a huge asterisk since his stuff is pre-recorded), Bob Clayton...