Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Comic Gallagher collapses on stage in Minn.  (Read 8064 times)

mmb5

Comic Gallagher collapses on stage in Minn.
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2011, 08:00:33 PM »
If you ever read his AV Club article, its obvious he has lost his touch on what is funny and what will make for an entertaining show.  You can think your being funny and edgy, but it doesn't mean other people have to compensate you for that belief.  His comedy was perfect for the 80s, flashy with no substance, sort of what Dane Cook is now.  However, I think Mr. Cook will know how to guide his career to other things.
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2011, 03:18:52 AM »
If we're talking about the same interview, he makes some interesting comments about America's affinity for the mediocre. Then you realize it's coming from a guy who smashes watermelons with a sledgehammer on stage for a living.

I make allowance for the notion that his act may simply be Gallagher doing what he thinks will get a rise out of the audience, but at the same time I wonder why his act has to stoop so low.

inturnaround

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2011, 08:29:32 AM »
I enjoy listening to Marc Maron's WTF Podcast where he interviews comics. His short interview with Gallagher in January was an interesting glimpse into a troubled man's brain.

"Oh, come on, Gallagher!"
Joe Coughlin     
Human

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2011, 09:13:06 AM »
Good point.  Had I not been 5 years old at the time, I would've probably noticed it was the same thing year round. :-)
They reran the old ones a lot, too, to create the illusion of variety. I think I have Melon Crazy and Over Your Head memorized.
Could be worse...I have Foxworthy's Totally Committed memorized.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2011, 11:46:28 AM »
Back in the early 80s, Michigan State University built a magnificent new performing arts building, the Wharton Center, as its main venue for touring Broadway shows and other big acts.  One of the very first acts to come into this beautiful, new, spotless, immaculate, mint-condition facility was Gallagher.  You can just imagine the uproar after the fact from the big-ticket donors and other muckety-mucks who had no idea what his act consisted of.  Thirty years later, I think they're still pulling seeds out of the second row.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2011, 03:10:30 AM »
I enjoy listening to Marc Maron's WTF Podcast where he interviews comics. His short interview with Gallagher in January was an interesting glimpse into a troubled man's brain.

"Oh, come on, Gallagher!"
Best to fast forward through Motormouth Maron flapping his gums interminably. He likes to hear himself talk.

whewfan

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2011, 07:58:50 PM »

I see exactly what Gallagher is saying, and I don't feel Marc was necessarily trying to probe him or "be controversial". He was merely trying to have a nice debate. I don't necessarily AGREE with Gallagher's approach, and I do believe some of his newer material DOES walk on a tightrope of being racist and homophobic. Also, Gallagher admitting to resorting to "street jokes" is interesting for a guy that once THRIVED on creativity. I saw a video of a fairly recent concert he did. The sledge-o-matic routine was a total mess... gone was the careful buildup, the dialogue inbetween smashings, it was just a succession of smashing food, produce, and anything else that would soil the first 5 or 6 rows of audience members. Also, in his later shows he allowed random audience members to come up and smash stuff. Fun for live shows, not necessarily good for DVD.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2011, 09:20:16 PM »
and I do believe some of his newer material DOES walk on a tightrope of being racist and homophobic.
"Walk on a tightrope?" Read the article I linked and tell me if you really think he's toeing ANY line aside from Glenn Beck's.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

That Don Guy

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2011, 09:37:51 PM »
Here's some Gallagher trivia: appearing on the ballot as Leo Gallagher (and his listed occupation as "comedian"), he got 5466 votes for Governor of California in the 2003 special recall election (the one that Schwarzenegger won).  Something tells me he won't be doing any shows in Sierra county any time soon, as that was the only county in California where nobody voted for him.

-- Don

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2012, 10:27:12 PM »
Gallagher has now retired from show bidness.

Oh dear.

trainman

« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2012, 11:24:14 PM »
But what about Gallagher II?
trainman is a man of trains

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2012, 03:06:05 AM »
Don't tell me there are two of him.

clemon79

« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2012, 03:27:35 AM »

TimK2003

« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2012, 03:29:09 AM »
Gallagher was in our neck of the woods last Fall, and we went to his show (because my 70-year-old in-laws wanted to go!!!).

It was nice to be able to meet & greet with him before the show even began (I didn't know he spent a lot of his childhood near Cleveland).  He even sliced up some watermelon for audience members before the show as well. He also had a film crew tagging along as well (documentary in the works???).  Outside of the actual show, he seemed to be a really good guy.

That being said, once the performance started, the show itself wandered all over the place -- from downright funny to WTF is he saying/doing?? -- he seemed lost and confused at times.  

It's probably a wise decision for him to step down from the stage now before he has to be carried off by someone else.

clemon79

« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2012, 03:37:53 AM »
That being said, once the performance started, the show itself wandered all over the place -- from downright funny to WTF is he saying/doing?? -- he seemed lost and confused at times.
From what I read, his show in Bremerton a couple of years ago was closer to the WTF end of the spectrum and borderline hate speech.