Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 1 vs 100 second season?  (Read 3433 times)

comeondowneddie

1 vs 100 second season?
« on: February 12, 2011, 08:06:57 AM »
Has anyone heard if the new version of 1 vs 100 is coming back for another season? I have not seen any posts if it got picked up for a second season. I hope with a new host though Carrie Ann got better as the shows progressed but not the right host IMHO.

Eddie

CJBojangles

1 vs 100 second season?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 01:32:48 PM »
According to this post at BuzzerBlog, it's not looking good.

Jeremy Nelson

1 vs 100 second season?
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 10:44:05 PM »
GSN did the best they did with the budget they had, but 1 vs. 100 is a show that commands being a massive spectacle- the game has to look like a hundred people are taking on one person. One video screen showing one hundred people, even simultaneously, doesn't give off the same feel that a 101 contestant set does- it looks more like Super Skype Trivia Game. I think even the regular audience could see right through the cheap.

Second, knowing their limitations, they couldn't put new eps of the show on while still showing old ones. The limited prize budget and set, along with Carrie Ann's lackluster hosting (did she get better as the series went on? I didn't stick around long enough to see.) may have been a good idea on paper, but not a good idea in real life.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Offshored2007

1 vs 100 second season?
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 07:39:28 AM »
[quote name=\'Jeremy Nelson\' post=\'257126\' date=\'Feb 13 2011, 10:44 PM\']GSN did the best they did with the budget they had, but 1 vs. 100 is a show that commands being a massive spectacle- the game has to look like a hundred people are taking on one person. One video screen showing one hundred people, even simultaneously, doesn't give off the same feel that a 101 contestant set does- it looks more like Super Skype Trivia Game. I think even the regular audience could see right through the cheap.

Second, knowing their limitations, they couldn't put new eps of the show on while still showing old ones. The limited prize budget and set, along with Carrie Ann's lackluster hosting (did she get better as the series went on? I didn't stick around long enough to see.) may have been a good idea on paper, but not a good idea in real life.[/quote]
I thiink it's "1" and done for this show.  The prize money was too low, Carrie Ann is no Bob Saget, and the whole mob wall
thing took away from having live people on the set.

BillCullen1

1 vs 100 second season?
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 09:50:29 PM »
IIRC, the NBC version of 1 vs. 100 required two or three studios because of its size. That's a MAJOR production cost. GSN did their best. I didn't think it was THAT bad, but it seemed to lack something from the original.

I always thought 1 vs. 100 would've done well as a daily syndie package with DoND. Maybe with a top prize of $500 or $250K.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
1 vs 100 second season?
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 12:13:46 AM »
I didn't think it was THAT bad, but it seemed to lack something from the original.
Indeed. About a hundred somethings.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

davidhammett

1 vs 100 second season?
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 09:34:55 AM »
IIRC, the NBC version of 1 vs. 100 required two or three studios because of its size. That's a MAJOR production cost. GSN did their best. I didn't think it was THAT bad, but it seemed to lack something from the original.
Having visited the original set before, I'm not sure that's true about the number of studios.  It was big, but more tall than anything, so it was more a height issue than one of area.

Yes, the recent one didn't have the same feel that the original did, but I too didn't think it was THAT bad.  I was happy that they retained a lot of the look and effects from the original, but apparently some were put off by those similarities when put in contrast with the changes that had been made.  Seems there's no pleasing everyone... if they had made a lot of changes, there would be complaints, but now others are upset because things stayed the same amidst a few changes!

Clay Zambo

1 vs 100 second season?
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 10:16:14 AM »
Yes, the recent one didn't have the same feel that the original did, but I too didn't think it was THAT bad.  I was happy that they retained a lot of the look and effects from the original, but apparently some were put off by those similarities when put in contrast with the changes that had been made.  

Expecially when both were running on GSN at the same time.  You've got the big-set, big-budget, slick-funny-host version, and the not-so-much-of-any-of-that revival.  It's as if Regis's show were followed by "Who Wants to Win 20 Grand?" played on the set of "What's My Line?"  I think they did a *great* job with the resources available, but the differences are not hard to see.
czambo@mac.com