Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Shows and Friends  (Read 7953 times)

ET206

Game Shows and Friends
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2011, 09:59:41 PM »
My preacher sometimes references "To Tell the Truth" in his sermons.

trainman

Game Shows and Friends
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2011, 11:33:20 PM »
[quote name=\'Adam Nedeff\' post=\'256467\' date=\'Feb 5 2011, 07:55 PM\']...yes, I've done the trick I did for Conan O'Brien for every co-worker.[/quote]

Fair warning:  I'd say my birthdate, "September 22, 1974" to you, and you'd dutifully respond with "ABC, Password, Split Second," et cetera, et cetera, and once you were done, I'd smugly say, "Ha! September 22, 1974, was a Sunday, so the correct answer is that there were no game shows on that day."

/Okay, I wouldn't really be smug about it.
//And now that I've posted about it here, I won't have the opportunity to be smug about it anyway.
///There is a trick for figuring out, in your head, the day of the week for any given date in any given year, but I haven't practiced enough to get it down pat. (Here are the instructions.)
trainman is a man of trains

Adam Nedeff

Game Shows and Friends
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2011, 11:48:24 PM »
[quote name=\'trainman\' post=\'256562\' date=\'Feb 6 2011, 11:33 PM\']Fair warning:  I'd say my birthdate, "September 22, 1974" to you, and you'd dutifully respond with "ABC, Password, Split Second," et cetera, et cetera, and once you were done, I'd smugly say, "Ha! September 22, 1974, was a Sunday, so the correct answer is that there were no game shows on that day."[/quote]
You know, here's the weird thing about it...when I first began doing that trick, I would clarify by saying "IF you were born on a weekday." And what I came to discover is that shockingly few people know the day of the week when they were born. I've seen my birth certificate; I know I was born on a Tuesday. But apparently nobody else bothers committing that fact about themselves to memory.

bscripps

• Button-Pushing Monkey
Game Shows and Friends
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2011, 02:42:49 AM »
[quote name=\'Adam Nedeff\' post=\'256571\' date=\'Feb 6 2011, 11:48 PM\']I know I was born on a Tuesday. But apparently nobody else bothers committing that fact about themselves to memory.[/quote]
...or bothers learning the Doomsday Algorithm.

\Leave it to Wikipedia to overcomplicate things.
Ben Scripps. Professional button-pushing monkey.

mmb5

Game Shows and Friends
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2011, 10:36:30 AM »
[quote name=\'Adam Nedeff\' post=\'256571\' date=\'Feb 6 2011, 11:48 PM\']You know, here's the weird thing about it...when I first began doing that trick, I would clarify by saying "IF you were born on a weekday." And what I came to discover is that shockingly few people know the day of the week when they were born. I've seen my birth certificate; I know I was born on a Tuesday. But apparently nobody else bothers committing that fact about themselves to memory.[/quote]
I was born on a weekend.  And 3 game shows aired that day.  It's not out of the realm of possibility.
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

Matt Ottinger

Game Shows and Friends
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2011, 12:45:16 PM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' post=\'256599\' date=\'Feb 7 2011, 10:36 AM\'][quote name=\'Adam Nedeff\' post=\'256571\' date=\'Feb 6 2011, 11:48 PM\']You know, here's the weird thing about it...when I first began doing that trick, I would clarify by saying "IF you were born on a weekday." And what I came to discover is that shockingly few people know the day of the week when they were born. I've seen my birth certificate; I know I was born on a Tuesday. But apparently nobody else bothers committing that fact about themselves to memory.[/quote]
I was born on a weekend.  And 3 game shows aired that day.  It's not out of the realm of possibility.[/quote]
It does, however, add a level of difficulty to Adam's little stunt!  

As we discovered last summer in a "game shows on your birthday" thread, I was born on a Saturday in 1960, so I've got nothing.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Game Shows and Friends
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2011, 01:46:45 PM »
I just wanna say that Ben wins the thread 'cuz I found the article he linked on the Doomsday Algorithm fascinating and I've been practicing it. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

trainman

Game Shows and Friends
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2011, 11:02:37 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'256614\' date=\'Feb 7 2011, 10:46 AM\']I just wanna say that Ben wins the thread 'cuz I found the article he linked on the Doomsday Algorithm fascinating and I've been practicing it. :)[/quote]

Guess my link was too far buried into the slashes...? (Although it wasn't the same link as Ben's.)
trainman is a man of trains

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Game Shows and Friends
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2011, 11:25:42 PM »
[quote name=\'trainman\' post=\'256648\' date=\'Feb 7 2011, 08:02 PM\'][quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'256614\' date=\'Feb 7 2011, 10:46 AM\']I just wanna say that Ben wins the thread 'cuz I found the article he linked on the Doomsday Algorithm fascinating and I've been practicing it. :)[/quote]
Guess my link was too far buried into the slashes...? (Although it wasn't the same link as Ben's.)[/quote]
Admittedly I didn't look at that one. Go ahead and take an assist anyhow. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Game Shows and Friends
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2011, 11:52:49 PM »
I was born on a Saturday in 1960, so I've got nothing.
Was G.E. College Bowl running on Saturday or Sunday at the time? In 1960 it was still on CBS.

joker316

Game Shows and Friends
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2011, 08:34:55 AM »
One of the worst examples of my "geeky arrogance" was when my family and I watched "Quiz Show" for the first time. I tried to stop myself, but I couldn't help pointing out "That's wrong" or That's not right" at certain aspects. And it wasn't just things that were obvious, but things in the background as well. (The B&E blackboard on the office wall comes readily to mind)

/fortunately, my wife and daughter STILL love me!!
// they just won't watch Quiz Show with me anymore!!!
Survival of the fittest...And besides...it's FUN!!!!  ...Daffy Duck